Transitioning from Ileostomy to Colostomy: What to Expect?

Replies
Views
britton.t.johnson

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while, but a lot has happened since my last post. I've had a surgery to remove a colorectal cancer tumor that was larger and more extensive than they thought, resulting in a much longer and intense recovery than was originally anticipated.

During this surgery, they also closed my ileostomy that I'd had for 4 months and opened up a colostomy due to the necessity of removing so much from below. It's proven to be a lot to get over all at once, but they were actually able to use the same stoma site for my colostomy that I had from my ileostomy, so that was good... one less hole punched in me to heal from.

But my question is a two-parter: Anyone else ever had both an ileostomy and a colostomy? I've seen some of the differences: thickness of output (boy, is that a difference!), frequency of output, etc... but being a month in now, I was wondering if there are more differences to expect now that it's got some healing time behind it?

Also, I've been told by several, even in the healthcare industry and specialized in ostomy care, that there are NO diet restrictions for a colostomy, and I can eat what I want... but to test it in small amounts at first as you do with an ileostomy. Anybody got some input there? Have you had any problems with a colostomy?

Vegetables? Lettuce? Can I finally have the salad that I never thought I'd crave so much?

And the big one, CAN I HAVE HOTWINGS AND BEER?!? Please, please, please tell me it's a go!

Thanks for any help and any input, and I would of course appreciate prayers and thoughts for continued recovery. Chemo as well as a couple more procedures are around the corner.

Much love, osto-friends!

mild_mannered_super_hero

In my opinion, you are fortunate to have the colostomy rather than an ileo.

Has anyone on your medical team suggested irrigation? Do you have some descending colon left? I would ask them right away. The option of irrigation will give you back a nearly normal lifestyle.
I have had my colostomy for over 20 years. I can eat anything I please. I eat a high protein, low fiber, low residue diet by choice, and it lengthens my "clear time".
Good luck with the rest of your treatment. The chemo is the most unpleasant part. If I can be of any help on the irrigation (should you qualify), just message me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I can eat anything but I avoid nuts. Anything else I can eat but I eat a few things in small quantities....corn, popcorn, lettuce.

Bill

I have salads at least twice a week with no problems. Or rather,  I decided to swap lettuce for watercress as the lettuce gave me chronic wind.

I'm in agreement with MMSH about exploring whether you can irrigate as it could make a lot of difference to stoma management and a 'freer' lifestyle.

I have no idea about hotwings and beer as these are things that I have never had the mind to try.

Best wishes

Bill

marshallkerry189

I have both. I am just getting back to eating normal and yes, whatever I want. As before, I had to avoid a lot of things due to my illness. I have had mine nearly 6 months now. It took some getting my head around it all, but the only thing I'm not brave enough to try is popcorn and sweet corn as I'm scared of bloating. Good luck with the rest of the treatment.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ahynes111
Reply to marshallkerry189

I don't know if I'm right but... I eat everything and drink everything. I just remember to chew the stringy things more.