Dyeing Ostomy Bags: Tips and Pointers Needed

Replies
Views
w30bob

Howdy gang,

Picked up some black Rit fabric dye and am going to try dyeing a couple of my Hollister skin-colored bags black. I'm pretty sure the fuzzy fabric covering will take dye, but haven't figured out what to do about the bottom plastic part of the bag yet. Tried coloring it with a Sharpie and that looks like crap, so will need a plan B for that part. But might as well make sure the body takes color first. Anybody do this and have any pointers? Looks simple enough, as long as I don't get the water too hot and melt the bag. Looking for any tips from you would-be DIYers out there. Thanks.

;o)

Bob

Wildflower 81

Umm, good luck?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob
Reply to Wildflower 81

Yeah, should be interesting... to say the least!

;O)

CrappyColon

I let my kids color on mine ‍

I talked to Hollister over the summer about making black bags, guess they haven't got to that yet.

IGGIE

Just make or buy a black cover. I have seen people with different colored bags before, so you must be able to buy them, and they are reusable. Otherwise, you will throw yours away each time you change. Regards, Iggie

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
w30bob
Reply to IGGIE

Yup, tried that. But when you empty your bag frequently a cover just becomes a pain in the ass. And we can't get black bags here in the states.......so what's a poor boy to do? My intention is to dye a couple bags black to wear out when my bag might be exposed. Once dyed I'm going to slap a Nike 'swoosh' on it and no one will be the wiser. But I've got to get it black first.

Interestingly enough, the last time I changed my barrier I forgot to set a new bag out. When I got to the 'put new bag on' part, I wasn't in the mood to go down the hall into my supplies to grab a new one, so I used the one I just took off, after I washed it out. So tomorrow will be 10 days with the same bag. I think I'm going to keep reusing it to see how long they actually last. I've got a feeling that unless you do something stupid......they'll last a very long time. Besides, I like experiments.

;O)

tmn68

Sounds like a cool idea.

Keep us updated!

Maried

Sounds like a crazy idea.. The dye may degrade the quality of the bag. Get a black cover a little shorter than the opening of your bag. Make sure the cover is a snug fit so it does not get in the way when you empty a lot.

Megs

Hi Bob, Salts are these available in the UK. Not sure if you can get them in the USA.

https://www.salts.co.uk/en-gb/products?gad=1 gclid=CjwKCAjw0N6hBhAUEiwAXab-Ta6mFadUemzlWIRowru9CV_lWBbBiZcS2b1ptqv7iudKIO-jPU_peBoChc8QAvD_BwE

w30bob
Reply to Megs

Hi Megs,

Yeah, I know. We can't get them here!!! I'm jealous. How hard is it to make a black bag??? That stupid "skin color" immediately makes people think "medical device". I need to ping Hollister again to make them in colors. Thanks for reminding me!

;O)

Megs
Reply to w30bob

What a shame. Hopefully Hollister will start marketing them if all of you guys keep badgering them.

xnine

Cover it with black tape, electrical or maybe there is a black duct tape.

AlexT

I can't wait to see how this comes out.

CrappyColon
Reply to xnine

There is every color and design of duct tape like cheetah, zebra, giraffe, those are just some of my favorites.

Reiki06

I'm just picturing your washing line filled with your freshly dyed bags blowing in the wind!!!! Xxxx

IGGIE

Hi Bob,

Get a friend who is good on a sewing machine and sew a small zip in the base or even Velcro, and if you use a drainable pouch you just have to open the bottom. Regards, IGGIE

w30bob

Just picked up a bottle of Rit DyeMore, a dye designed for synthetic fabrics and plastics! This is getting interesting! Will show you how they turn out as soon as I get some time to get to it. Might even dye the dog black, she likes hot baths!

;O)

Misspearl

Use contact paper cut to size. Or any sticky-backed paper. Make an outline on paper backing. Keep pattern for future use. Contact brand comes in a variety of colors and patterns.

Beth22
Reply to w30bob

I am curious. How did it come out?

w30bob

Look at you guys with all the suggestions!!! Thanks!

I think the duct tape and the contact paper would make the bag too inflexible, and easier to see under my shirt. I think it has to be dyed for it to do what I want it to do. But those are good ideas!

I'm hoping to get to it later today, but I've got to change the struts on my car and replace some engine gaskets. So if I can get that finished up quickly I'll get to the bag dying. I want to do it outside to prevent a real mess. If not later today.........tomorrow if the weather holds. It's a beautiful Spring weekend here in MD and there's so much to do this time of year. But I'll get to it ASAP.

Igster.......I've made hundreds of bag covers. With zippers, velcro, you name it..........I can make one with my eyes closed! Just not practical for me. I'm guessing you don't understand what the life of a short-gutter can be like. If I'm outside working and drinking a lot I could have to empty my ostomy bag anywhere from every 5 minutes to every 30 minutes over the course of hours. That's a lot of times to zip and unzip something. If I drink something really stupid I'll see it in my bag before I've finished drinking it all. So I need a way to make my bag inconspicuous that doesn't require any more work......and not be in the way if things get messy. I think the dye thing is the right route, but we'll see. Where did I put that can of spray paint........................

;O)

xnine

Spray paint is the way to go. A dye might bleed through to your shirt.

Wildflower 81

Here you go, Bob. Glitter puff paint....just bling the hell out of those babies.

CrappyColon
Reply to Wildflower 81

I vote for this as the best idea.

w30bob

Ya know.........X might have something there! Flat black spray paint might be the ticket. Gonna try that tomorrow too! Thanks X!

As for the bleeding.....if you use the regular dye, you have to soak it in another bath with an additive that locks the dye into the material. I don't know the name of it off the top of my head.......but it's made by Rit. If I use the dye for the synthetic and plastic, it's built in. Maybe when I'm done, I'll put one in a bag and mail it to Hollister........and ask them if they could do better.

;O)

w30bob
Reply to Wildflower 81

Damn! I knew there was something I was forgetting to pick up when I was over at Hobby Lobby! Now I got to make a separate trip again! But ok..........it'll be worth it! GP paint.......here I come!

;O)

Wildflower 81
Reply to w30bob

Don't forget unicorn and rainbow stencils!! I'd say grab a bedazzler while you're at it but that would most definitely compromise the integrity of the bag.

Megs
Reply to w30bob

Do it! Got everything to gain and nothing to lose!

jakebstanley

Yeah, the only thing I would worry about is the dye somehow degrading the quality of the bag or otherwise irritating your skin or the adhesive. The bags are designed to very exacting specifications so as to be comfortable, safe from infection, and clean. I agree they should have a whole plethora of colors! Just monitor carefully and I would only dye the front of the bag piece, not the faceplate or seal or any piece that touches your skin. Please keep us updated though! If you succeed, you may have a side hustle.

RiverS
Reply to xnine

I have actually seen this done before and forgot all about it!! You can get duct tape in all sorts of colors and patterns. Not sure how it would work on the 'cloth-like' covering but the only bag that I use happens to be clear. (Sensura Mio without the filter)

w30bob
Reply to jakebstanley

Hi Jake,

Yeah, I hear you. Normally, the dye-water mix is brought to a boil and then removed from heat. That will be too hot for the plastic bag. I assume Hollister makes their bag for all climates, so temps to around 150 for storage aren't unheard of. I'll make sure the water is a bit below that. As for it irritating my skin... it sure could. But since the dye is made for clothing fabric, I'm hoping it'll be fine. But time will tell. As soon as I get my taxes done tomorrow, I'll be all over this project. Results, good or bad... to come shortly.

;O)