Need Advice for Indent Challenges with Stoma Bag

In this discussion
Replies
Views
pamala

I am having challenges with finding a bag that will stay on and not leak due to scars that are indented on the right side of my stoma due to an abdominal wall abscess almost 2 years ago. Two scars are under my appliance and one is just slightly outside the perimeter. When I move around or sit, the indents get deeper and my skin pulls away.

I have tried so many adhesives, but nothing has worked.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I prefer not to have surgery to have my stoma moved. I have only had my ileostomy for going on 3 years.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

Have you seen a WOC Nurse?
Have you used pieces of Eakin rings and formed them to fill the gaps (this works great for me).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
IGGIE

If you get a tube of Adapt Paste Part Number 79300 and squeeze it into the depression, it will fill up the area for you to place your Base Plate or One-piece Bag. I hope this helps. Regards, IGGIE

CrappyColon

I had something similar with mine, actually the same side too. My WOC nurses had me using Hollister all the time. Cutting pieces and layering. I would do a layer of paste in between each layer and to seal around the sides. At first, it was time-intensive but I got faster each time.
*A Hollister rep will tell you the Hollihesive is old school technology for them and will suggest something different. When I told my WOC nurses at Cleveland Clinic what Hollister said, they were like, "Well, we use it all the time to help our patients." They didn't say Hollister could shove it in exact words, but that was the gist.

I also used a Brava moldable ring on top of my Hollihesive creation, and I did the paste around the opening of the wafer like someone else suggested as well. I tried to make it like a fun art project every time. If I'd decided against a reversal, I would've gotten a different type of ileostomy, and that hopefully would've helped with the structural issues.

ron in mich

Hi Pamela, I have a dip in my skin at the bottom of my stoma, and that is the first place my wafer would start to leak. I do what Cplumber says and use a half-moon piece of Eakin seal in that spot, and that has made the difference for me.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Longroad78

Using a moldable ring on your skin and putting a ring of paste on the adhesive side of the wafer around where your stoma goes. When pressed together, it should fill in the voids. It takes time but gets easier with time. I like the idea given to layer the ring in the area with the targeted issue to build a high spot, so you will not have a weak spot to allow for leaks.

tej
Reply to Cplumber

I also had 2 indents from abscesses under my ostomy which continually leaked. This is what I also use as well as I have an Eakin 4 x 4 sheet that I cut and fill the hole with. The endostomatherapy nurse from the hospital gave me this idea and it worked.

Hisbiscus

Maybe try using a 4x4 barrier on the skin and then put the pouch on top of the 4x4. Most companies have these 4x4 barriers. Try getting a sample first to see if it works.

Grumpy

I deal with skin irregularities around my stoma because of a parastomal hernia. After listening to several appliance reps trying to use text information from training, I realized without actual experience they can only relay what they were taught and the book is usually written for an ideal world. Experience is your path to success. If your recess is deep, put a very small dab of paste in the bottom. Then I take the piece of flange left over from sizing my appliance and cut a strip to fit the indent, and it is now held in by the small dab. Then I smooth over the surface with a little more paste. This provides a durable, flexible surface for the appliance to stick to. Hope this helps and always use a little paste as needed.