Hernia Repair and Stoma Relocation Complications

Replies
Views
AnnieGal

Hi everyone, just last week I had a hernia repair, no mesh, and my stoma moved from the left to the right side. I'm already suspicious that I have a hernia underneath my new stoma. Is this even possible?? Thank you for your replies.

Ben38

Yes, I've known people to have another hernia within days of surgery, but I hope it's just healing pain and not another hernia.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AnnieGal
Reply to Ben38

Thank you, how alarming. I keep trying to repair the damage but something turns up all the time. It's literally a week ago today. I see a bulge under the stoma, no pain at all. So afraid it will turn out to be like my hernia which caused a terrible prolapse. I feel like I came out of surgery with this. Praying it's only swelling but looks very much like a hernia to me. My follow-up is next week.

AlexT
Reply to AnnieGal

I can't imagine that you've been doing anything within a week from surgery that could cause a hernia. I have one now, I'm sure I'll get it fixed eventually but with no issues right now, I'll concentrate on fixing some other things in my life at the moment. Good luck, hope it's just swelling.

Bill

Hello AnnieGal.

Sorry to hear about your problems, although it does not surprise me as I came out of hospital complete with hernia. It seems they don't wish to tell us about these possibilities before the operation, but let us find out for ourselves afterwards. 

Best wishes

Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AnnieGal
Reply to Bill

Thank you for responding, did they do anything with your hernia afterwards?

Hisbiscus

Our stomas are a hernia of sort. This is what a stoma nurse told me. Being that you just had surgery, I will bet it's some kind of swelling from the surgery, but your doctor will be able to tell better. If no mesh was used, was it a stitch repair?

Bill
Reply to AnnieGal

Hello AnnieGal.

The simple answer is 'NO!' they did not do anything with the hernia. However, that is probably down to me as (after a discussion with the stoma nurses), I didn't bother pursuing it medically.

I simply wore a belt and pressure pad made from a wide bottle top. The hernia has not become much worse than it was at the outset, so I would consider that a 'success' of sorts.

Best wishes

Bill