Skin Around Stoma is Red and Broken, Help!

Replies
Views
Jt412
Jun 13, 2023 2:03 am

I have had a temporary (hopefully) ileostomy for a month and nobody at the surgeon's office seems to have answers for me on how to care for it. I have noticed the skin right up next to my stoma is red and peeling off, so one nurse recommended using Desitin, but it doesn't work. I have a really hard time getting the patch right up next to my stoma because it's so oddly shaped. Does anyone have any remedies?? Thanks

w30bob
Jun 13, 2023 8:13 am

Hi Jt,

Have you talked to an ostomy nurse? If not, you need to seek one out. Desitin is basically zinc oxide, which helps soothe angry skin, but hinders adhesion, which can make the problem worse. Your stoma is oddly shaped, but is it sticking out from your abdominal skin, flush, or recessed? Regardless, if it's an odd shape, you'll need to be using a cut-to-fit barrier and will have to make a template of your stoma to cut out the barrier accurately. If your stoma is flush or recessed, you'll need to use a convex barrier, not a flat one. We'll need more info about your specific situation to really offer any serious advice... but finding an ostomy nurse should be a top priority.

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

C. Difficult
Jun 13, 2023 12:35 pm
Reply to w30bob

UStoma powder

C. Difficult
Jun 13, 2023 12:36 pm

Stoma powder

C. Difficult
Jun 13, 2023 12:41 pm

Are you using a stoma powder? The image is of stoma powder from 3 different manufacturers. They all behave the same in my opinion. Once you've wiped the area with adhesive remover, use the powder around the stoma and blow off any excess. Then apply the Cavilion everywhere and wait until it is dry.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
C. Difficult
Jun 13, 2023 12:50 pm

Make sure you use a measuring guide to see exactly what the circumference of your stoma is. Mine is usually 22mm but can be 25mm at times. Your stoma will change shape, size, how much it does or doesn't protrude..so measure your stoma and then cut your flange. If you have a low profile or flush to tummy stoma you may need to use a convex flange and possibly an eakin ring. Super easy to apply.

The redness around your stoma is actually 'burned' skin from a flange improperly cut. Feces has an enzyme which burns the skin. Think of diaper rash. Same thing. To avoid it, follow the advice I've just given. You'll never have it again.

infinitycastle52777
Jun 13, 2023 1:04 pm

What I use for skin irritation that works really well is a product called Marathon.

Lee

Jt412
Jun 14, 2023 2:54 am
Reply to C. Difficult

I have Cavilon spray but was told by hospital ostomy nurse not to apply close to stoma. So I should get the film and it can go right up next to my stoma over the irritated skin after I apply the powder? I feel dumb but I have tried to seek assistance from my surgeon's office about finding a nurse but they always tell me "we don't have one" so outside of the nurse I saw once in the hospital for my 5-minute training, I've had no help. I appreciate any help and hopefully I can get this under control.

JustGigi1967
Jun 14, 2023 2:55 am

I have extremely sensitive skin and several allergies to adhesives. About three weeks ago, the edge of my stoma had developed granulation and was extremely red and sensitive.

The folks above gave you most of the suggestions that I would offer...and honestly it's really solid advice.

Anyhow, I use Boudreaux's Max Strength Butt Paste and hydrocortisone cream to reduce the annoyed and angry skin.

Are you able to take skin breaks? Letting your skin dry out a little when you change your pouching system. I found skin breaks to be really helpful.

My stoma nurse taught me a technique that she called crusting. Basically it's alternating layers of stoma powder and skin prep spray. I've never used more than three layers of powder and spray before applying my Eakin Ring and pouching system.

Pooter
Jun 14, 2023 6:01 pm

Have you tried compound tincture of benzoin?

w30bob
Jun 14, 2023 11:20 pm

See why you need to talk to an ostomy nurse?

;O)

IGGIE
Jun 15, 2023 2:32 pm

Are you using a sealing washer before the base plate? If not, you should.

IGGIE
Jun 17, 2023 1:53 pm
Reply to Jt412

Not having a nurse, I can't believe they don't have any nurse to give advice. You should report that to the powers that be, that's if you have them as well. Sounds like a backward country to me.