Eating Oatmeal with an Ileostomy: Any Experiences?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Does anyone with an ileostomy eat oatmeal? I haven't had any since my surgery because they told me it can cause a blockage and not to eat oats. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it and did it have an impact? Negatively, I mean? What if you pulverize it in a blender? I ask because some things do not make sense to me, like not eating nuts but you can have peanut butter. I cook with almond flour all the time and that is just ground up almonds. So is there something to the oatmeal advice?

Lee

Ben38

Yes, problem-free.....Just try everything in small amounts and see how it goes. It's the only way. Then, if it were to cause a problem, it will be short-lived....you can't spend the rest of your life living in fear of eating something for no reason. You will find out with experience, some days we get loose output or stoma goes on a go-slow for no reason from food we've eaten many times before for no reason.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,637 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

GraceFalls

I am only 2 months from my ostomy. (Diverticulitis) I have eaten everything except beans. The only food I have had trouble with is fried okra. I love the darn stuff. Homegrown. Oh my. And the next day, Oh my!!!

Lots of output but all ok.

Hairdresser

Hi

I eat oatmeal almost every day. I too have an ileostomy and I have never had a problem with oatmeal. There were other grains I had problems with but I have learned to eat them in smaller portions. I did have problems with almonds as well but it truly was my fault. I love almonds so I ate way too many and I had a blockage. So now if I eat them I eat a handful and walk away.

Like someone else has said, don't be afraid, just be aware.

Good luck and God bless

Justbreathe

Ileostomy here - I eat oatmeal frequently - no problems. I eat nuts as well - all types - secret is do not overindulge and chew, chew, chew until they become peanut butter...

jb

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Axl

All the time, no issues

Mysterious Mose

One frustrating part of having an ostomy is that there is damned little information about what you can and should not eat after that initial 6-8 weeks. I have yet to find something I can't eat. It becomes an experiment. One done with moderation. I have yet to find anything I cannot eat, although some things I still stay away from. Like things high in insoluble fiber. I do not eat green beans, but pinto beans are fine (if you don't mind dealing with the gas). You are told to stay away from whole wheat and oats for the first couple of months. But, I now eat whole wheat bread (admittedly smooth wheat) and oat bread. I have eaten oatmeal, but not a lot as I am not a fan. And I am still frightened of whole kernel corn. :-)

It just comes down to the old saw, all things in moderation. Eat a little. If it doesn't cause you discomfort. Try a little more. If it causes you discomfort, stay with the first little or stop entirely.

Of course, I am speaking here as an ileostomate. And, at 9+ months, I still consider myself a rookie. So, I could be full of shit :-))

Daniel

AlexT

I'd start east with oatmeal and gradually build up to a full amount. Eating nuts is completely different than eating peanut butter. They advise against the nuts cause unless you chew them really well, they come out as nuts, which could lead to a blockage. Remember, all the silly guidelines we are given about what to eat or what not to eat are just that, a guideline. Everyone is different and everyone processes food differently. Try whatever you want, just start easy and see how your body responds.

Morning glory

It truly amazes me just how different we all are. I agree with others that you should try anything you want to eat in small amounts to see if you can digest it. Just remember to chew, chew, chew. Some can eat anything they want; what causes problems with one doesn't bother another. Just try one food at a time, and enjoy.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to AlexT

Yeah. That's the one thing I forgot to say. Chew, chew, chew, and chew some more. :-)

Daniel

TerryLT
Reply to Justbreathe

What she said...

infinitycastle52777

Thanks everyone for the responses. I used to love oatmeal. I am very aware of Marvin the stoma not digesting things and I worry a lot about blockages. He spits up the tomato out of a sun-dried tomato basil tortilla, he spits out mushrooms, bananas, apples (but not applesauce) he definitely has issues with couscous he will explode everything if there is red dye in it. It can be a challenge to find something that won't come out just as it went in, even when I do chew chew chew. He spits out shreds of chicken, whenever I eat mango, no matter how soft it is. Any cooked veggies come out as that colored output. I just don't know what to do sometimes. I just shrug and say at least it is coming out and not getting stuck. I just don't want to get a blockage. I am afraid of trial and error ending in error.

Lee

Beth22
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Hi Lee,

Just remember, everybody's body is different. I know I can't have a lot of what others have, even your list, lol 😁. But when you try something new, start very small and slowly, maybe a couple small bits at first, and slowly build yourself up when you feel comfortable. Go at your pace and when you feel ready. And remember, you got this, stay strong and tough.. 💪 Ostomy warriors!!

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beth22

Beth22

I hear what you are saying, and a lot of things others on here can eat no problem cause me problems. Sometimes I worry about getting enough nutrition both because my stoma spits everything out undigested and because unless I eat squash most stuff comes out liquid. I found cream of wheat at the store in an instant pouch so I plan to give that a try. A little at first and then see where it goes. Maybe it would be a good replacement for oatmeal.

Lee

Beth22

Hi Lee,

Have you thought about nutrition shakes? Instant breakfast is my choice, there's also Ensure and Boost.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beth22

Beth22

I do sometimes drink Ensure. I also make protein shakes on occasion if I am having a very liquid day. And I take a multivitamin. I am just not consistent with nutrition drinks. I think I need to be more mindful. My last labs showed I had borderline low levels of many things including magnesium, salt, and something else I don't remember. I take magnesium daily, but it was still low. Sometimes life with a stoma can be complicated.

Lee

Mysterious Mose

One of the worst things about an ileostomy is the loss of electrolytes, especially things like sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Over time, that can lead to renal failure. I recommend some sort of electrolyte drink. It has taken me a bit to get used to drinking salty beverages due to a bit of PTSD that keeps popping up, but I finally realized that it was in my best interest to deal with that rather than risk kidney issues. I do not like sports drinks, as they are sickly sweet and taste terrible. I use a product called 40,000 Volts! from an outfit named Trace Minerals. I add it to various types of juices: orange, apple, cranberry, etc. I try to do this at least twice a day. With an ileostomy, it is very important to keep electrolytes replenished. For the first few months, I was terrible about that. I am resolved to no longer be terrible. :-)

Daniel

Bbix
Reply to Mysterious Mose

"Whole kernel corn." I am amazed you get any nutrition from it, most of it still looks like whole kernel corn in the bag (maybe if I chewed a lot more).

Justbreathe
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Very helpful - thanks! - JB

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel

Is the drink you mentioned high in sugar like juice is? Does it have caffeine? I am not allowed caffeine because I am being treated for chronic insomnia. I sometimes drink Pedialyte from packets, and I have a box of Liquid IV, but my ostomy nurse (whom I had from April to May of this year) said she didn't think Liquid IV was good for me. She preferred the Pedialyte. All that stuff is very expensive. I buy G Fit, a low-carb version of Gatorade, and I mix it with a bottle of water. I also sometimes use Body Armor Lyte, but even though it is Lyte, it still has a lot of carbs in it. So, I mix that too with equal parts of water or else 1 and 3/4 bottles of water with 1/4 bottle of Body Armor Lyte. Today I drank plain water at the gym. I hate plain water because it has no flavor. But I had left my water bottle in the car, and I'd got a little ambitious and got very sweaty and started to feel a little wobbly, so I drank the water they provide. It is hard to keep my levels up. I try and try, and they are still borderline low.

Lee

Nordakotan

Like many who have already posted, there is not much I don't eat. I've had my ileostomy since 1986 and have had only one or two blockages, which I was able to press out by manipulating my belly. All winter, I have a big bowl of oatmeal just about every morning. Never had a problem. If I do experience gut aches, it is usually due to not chewing up lettuce (or the likes) well enough and eating way too many cashews, pistachios, almonds at one time. I have not had a problem if I limit myself to 1/4 to 1/2 cup for the day, and drink plenty of fluid while enjoying. Popcorn is another one I have no problem with—as long as I drink plenty of fluids. I think (in my opinion) that the “trick” is to drink fluids and plenty of them. Water, pop, V-8, beer (that's best in moderation—ha!), even coffee or tea.

I don't eat whole kernel corn at all. Mostly because it doesn't digest well and it works its way under my wafer, which causes blowouts. Stick to creamed corn if you want corn or candy corn! 😉

Hope this helps you to try various foods.

AlexT

Watermelon juice for electrolytes. You can Google it, but it's watermelon in a blender with some fresh-squeezed lemon, a little salt, and maybe some water depending on how watered down you want it.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to AlexT

I haven't tried watermelon juice. My wife steeps the rinds, but that is not the same. Does the juice give you gas like watermelon itself does?

Daniel

Mysterious Mose

Lee, what I referenced is an unflavored concentrate. I put a teaspoon into whatever juice I have, just not my good (expensive) orange juice. :-) Here is a picture:

CrappyColon

Steel-cut oatmeal was the first soft food I was given in the hospital after my ileostomy.

Fredsmum

Hi

I had my ileostomy in 1967 at age 11 and was told not to eat coconut and to take the skins off tomatoes, which my poor mom did for years!

Then I decided to try Bounty coconut bars and it was fine, and now I eat tomatoes intact, and lots of them, with no problems. As someone else said on this forum, you can eat the same thing with different outputs. I eat absolutely anything! (Except McDonald's, as they're revolting.)

Try it and see, but I have oatmeal porridge regularly. Be brave!

Redondo

I used to eat oatmeal without any problem. I just stopped because I didn't like it anymore. However, I try not to consume too much fiber because I'm afraid of blockage, but also of causing a problem with pancaking and causing a breakout with the pouch. I eat nuts sparingly because I can't chew them well enough that they don't cause a problem with the pouch. But once I ate too many and I was partially blocked. Thankfully, it worked itself out on its own. I can handle peanut butter as long as it's smooth because there are no pieces of nuts to worry about. I can eat half of a coconut bar, but a whole one is too much and can cause pancaking too. I think someone here said that just try a little of everything to see what works for you.

October22

I stuck to cream of wheat for many months after my ileostomy surgery. With my nutritionist's encouragement, I tried oatmeal and had no problems. I now eat it several times a week.

drums_weights_ileostomy

I've never had an issue with oatmeal, and I've had my ileostomy since 1972.

Roseviolet

Hi, have you considered making your own electrolyte drink? St. Mark's (a hospital in England) has one version online. The World Health Organization (WHO for short) has another. There are others using apple or orange juices as the base. Going this route might be less expensive. Most versions use table salt, lite salt (potassium chloride), water, and table sugar or powdered glucose available online.