Eating Oatmeal with an Ileostomy: Safe or Risky?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Oct 17, 2023 12:12 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Mysterious Mose

Yeah, I went and looked it up. It isn't cheap, is it? But then again, nothing with electrolytes is. I use Trace products for my magnesium, which I have to get in liquid form because my ostomy spits out the pills. I have a finicky stoma. I also have to take liquid fish oil because again, Marvin the stoma was spitting out the gelcaps. I don't think my digestive system works very well. Thanks for the tip about the 40,000 Volts; I am probably going to try it. I need all the help I can get.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Oct 17, 2023 12:20 am
Reply to CrappyColon

CrappyColonDiaries,

That is surprising because I was warned against it both in the hospital and by my ostomy nurse afterward.

Lee

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,864 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Oct 17, 2023 12:25 am

Lee, yeah, it's not cheap. But there are 48 servings in a bottle. It comes out to about 40 cents per serving, not terribly awful.

Daniel

infinitycastle52777
Oct 17, 2023 12:26 am
Reply to Redondo

Redondo

I was told not to eat coconut too, because it won't break down and will cause a blockage. I was warned about a lot of things and have avoided them for the last 6 months. I haven't had a blockage or even a partial one. Thankfully. I guess I was wondering if it's going to be a game of will this or that harm me for the rest of my life.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Oct 17, 2023 12:29 am
Reply to October22

October 22

Wow, that is impressive. Yeah, I have been eating the cream of wheat without any problems. It is just that it is not the same. But at least it is something warm.

Lee

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777
Oct 17, 2023 12:35 am
Reply to Roseviolet

Roseviolet

The complication is that I take potassium twice a day already, so I don't want to have an overdose of potassium. I have made my own from a recipe online before. I didn't like the flavor at all. Maybe I put too much salt in. I have been advised against orange juice due to its high sugar content (though I tried it a few times) and I am diabetic. And I don't use artificial sweeteners or things with artificial sweetener in them. I do drink lite apple juice sometimes, diluting it even further with water. Maybe I will look for a recipe using apple juice.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Oct 17, 2023 12:39 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel,

Yeah, if it makes that many servings, I guess it isn't too bad. But I drink a gallon of fluid a day, or just about that much. I have to keep my kidneys working and not get dehydrated. So, I think I could go through a bottle pretty fast. But I am willing to give it a try.

Thanks,

Lee

Mysterious Mose
Oct 17, 2023 3:59 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

I don't know whether you need to drink an electrolyte booster like this with every glass of water. But then, I am nowhere near an expert. There are a whole lot of people here who know a whole lot more than I do. I use it twice a day.

Daniel

Mysterious Mose
Oct 17, 2023 4:06 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Lee,

With the caveat that we are all different, I have had no problem with coconut, at least in the form of coconut-battered shrimp. I just have to put up with looking at the residue in my bag. I wouldn't sit down and eat big chunks of coconut, but I wouldn't have done that pre-bag anyway. :-)

Again, moderation and step by step is the key.

Daniel

MaeRee
Oct 20, 2023 12:57 am

Hey there, your oatmeal question:

Everyone is different. I read that lettuce would cause problems. I ate small salads, no problems. So, eat a small portion of oatmeal and see if it causes any problems for you. I eat instant oatmeal with no problems at all.
Good luck

MaeRee

Tweedie
Oct 21, 2023 6:30 pm

Hi, I have porridge every morning and have done so since my total ileostomy; it's never been a problem and it sets me up for the day, especially on change day. If I wait two hours after eating, it also allows me the security to have a bagless shower with very few problems. However, everyone is different. I see it as a real savior. Good luck!

Tweedie
Oct 21, 2023 6:34 pm

Hi, I have porridge every morning and have done so since my total ileostomy; it's never been a problem and it sets me up for the day, especially on change day. If I wait two hours after eating, it also allows me the security to have a bagless shower, with very few problems. However, everyone is different. I see it as a real savior. Good luck!

colingemmell46
Oct 23, 2023 10:56 pm

Anything that doesn't digest properly has the potential to cause a blockage... nuts, mushrooms, sweetcorn off the top of my head. Peanut butter, however, won't have whole nuts in it; that's the difference.

infinitycastle52777
Oct 24, 2023 12:35 am
Reply to colingemmell46

Do you think Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are the same as peanut butter? There are pieces of nuts in them, but they aren't very big. I haven't had one since my ostomy, but I used to like them. The thing I don't get about nuts and peanut butter is that when you eat a nut, you grind it up in your mouth, and peanut butter is ground-up nuts. Logic would say they should be the same.

Lee