Is a Softball-Sized Protrusion a Parastomal Hernia?

Replies
Views
Ostoberry

As soon as my surgeon lifted restrictions, I began weight training again. I only use a punch belt and have no pain or trouble. I ordered a more supportive, wider belt for future exercise. Anyway, my stoma sits on the center of a softball-sized circular protrusion. Is that what a parastomal hernia is?

tmn68

I love weight training, but I'm afraid of a hernia!

Please keep us posted.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,629 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostoberry
Reply to tmn68

I had been doing pushups regularly before surgery, so I'm not sure if that helped because they still sliced through the muscles. Checking YouTube videos, I came across hernias. My surgeon or home health ostomy nurses never mentioned them. I guess a large percentage of them are non-problematic. I'm just not sure if I have one or not. I never feel strained and never use weight that I can't do at least 15 reps. Sad, but it seems your stoma education is up to yourself.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Ostoberry

Sounds to me that you have a parastomal hernia. However, I do not have one, and there are plenty of people here who do. I am sure some of them will answer this.

Daniel

Justbreathe

Even though I was down many pounds (weighed 102) and not gaining any weight for over a year, as I watched the area around my stoma grow into a small boob, I went to a surgeon and he said it was a parastomal hernia. The only thing I was told after surgery was, "Do not lift anything heavy." Neither surgeon I saw following the surgery advised me about hernias. I'm not sure if a heads-up regarding this common fact would have helped me. The second surgeon said, "Oh, these are common." I almost surely would have been more careful with my "condition" had I known of this possibility. So here is yet another good reason to take heed regarding warnings from ostomates on this site.

Experience almost always outweighs these surgeons' book learning. Probably not one of them has the on-the-job experiences of an ostomate. Neither surgeon (the one who did my surgery in Wisconsin) nor the follow-up surgeon (back home in Florida) mentioned a hernia to me. I am guessing they didn't want to freak me out further, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but feel this info upfront would be most important and helpful. — JB

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy

Yep... the mound under or adjacent to your stoma may be a parastomal hernia. Very common. Nearly impossible to prevent.

An ostomy itself is a controlled hernia. My surgeon and ostomy nurse didn't mention hernias to me. I learned about it online. You can try support belts, but it's unsure if they can prevent a hernia.

Mine looks like a little boob. It causes a rather unsightly bulge in my shirt. From time to time, I wear a Nu-Hope support belt. It makes the bulge slightly smaller, but belt pressure pushes my wafer down, damaging the skin around the stoma base. So, I mostly just let it all hang out. Screw it.

Must watch out for intestine strangulation. If the stoma color fades to gray, hotfoot it to an emergency room at a hospital. Don't go to an urgent care center.

You will discover a strange lack of "information sharing" from your surgeon and some ostomy nurses. I had a hole pop open at the bottom of my surgical cut shortly after surgery. It freaked me out. My surgeon told me how to heal it but never mentioned the word "fistula." And he was the head of wound care at my hospital. I discovered this fistula business happens quite frequently. You'd think he could have told me. I thought my insides would soon be outside joining my stoma.

Take care and good luck!

AlexT

Sounds like what I have, and I know mine is a hernia. The worst part is a person can get one by simply coughing or sneezing and it has nothing to do with lifting anything. Some can live their whole life without getting one, and others (like me) get one pretty fast. Personally, unless it gets huge or hinders my stoma (output), I won't have it fixed anytime soon.

Axl

Hi O,

My stoma (ileo) sits on a small mound and is not a hernia. I know this because after I had a reversal, the mound was gone. Then I went back to another stoma in the same location and the mound is back; it is simply a mound caused by no support in the abdominal wall at that location. I also weight train but am careful not to go crazy with it, and I use a cheap 10" elastic belt when training for support. I try to train the muscle in isolation rather than stressing my abdomen in an all-out assault.

IGGIE

G-Day Ostoberry,

I got a parastomal hernia about a year after the stoma operation, and before it got any worse, which it can or will, I had it operated on and now all is well. All I can recommend to anyone with a stoma is you do weight training at your own risk. You have had your operation to fix what must have been a problem, so the last thing you want to be doing is giving yourself another problem. Regards, Iggie

ron in mich
Reply to Ostoberry

Hi Ostoberry, when I had my surgery 30 some years ago for an ileostomy, I was given a book about colostomies and that was the extent of training to have an ostomy. The real learning came a few days later when I had to change the appliance and pouch.

godisgreatty12345

Hi Ostoberry, how are you doing? When I had my surgery 3 years ago for a colostomy, I was given a handout about colostomies and that was for the expert training to an ostomate. The real learning came a few days later when I had to change the appliance and pouch. I hope you recover quickly and the pain will all be a distant memory soon! Will be watching for your updates! Best wishes and take care. What is your email for me to email you about some things and talk more? Best regards.

Ostoberry

Just want to say thanks for the replies and support. I'm not having any problems and keep learning every day. Medicare pays for most supplies, but I've been trying other accessories. Amazon has everything. I had a few minor leaks while exercising. I had some sample barrier extenders from Hollister and used them on my last change. They are great, so I plan to use them when I plan to be more active. They are a little pricey, so I'll try some cheaper brands from Amazon and hope they work as well.

gentlejohn

Hernias are potentiated with increased intra-abdominal pressure. Belts may not prevent hernias if you are seriously lifting weights. Considering your new anatomy, you might have to back off of weight training. I concur that it is likely you have a parastomal hernia. There are hernia belts that you can use that a WOCN nurse can fit for you.

brooklyn
Reply to Ostoberry

I have a stoma hernia and had two surgeries but it's back again. I'm wondering on what to do about it. Should I move stoma to the right side?

Beachboy

Hey brooklyn,

My surgeon said this about relocating a stoma:  You just transfer the problem.  You'll most likely get a hernia there too.  

Surgical peristomal hernia repair has a poor success rate.  If mine gets bigger, I'll probably try for a repair & stoma revision.  

Justbreathe
Reply to brooklyn

Unless you enjoy spending time in a hospital, resulting pain and healing waiting to get back to your life I think not….I for one am cautious of any medical procedures which are invasive and scalpels in general .  My personal attitude is to avoid hospitals unless I am in severe pain.  Just my opinion.

Mark1
Reply to IGGIE

Hi iggie you had your repaired I have 3 large herniers and 2 very small they have said meshing is possible did the relocate your bag ???

IGGIE
Reply to Mark1

G-Day Mark, When i had the operation they moved the Stoma  just a small amount, but I also had two surgeons working at once. One for the Stoma and the other to remove 2/3 of my right Kidney because of Cancer. I hope the photo do's not upset some people but it's to let you have the full story. Regards IGGIE

Beachboy

It's good to show your after surgery photo.

An old saying:

A picture tells a thousand words.

Mark1
Reply to IGGIE

Mark1

This was mine was shocked when woke up tell me do they reopen old scar ???when resting bag and doing herniers

IGGIE

Yes they can open old scars otherwise we would look like a patchwork quilt.

Mark my Surgeon told me mesh can cause bacteria so check it out.

Regards IGGIE

Mark1

Mark1

This is now 5 herniers after 7 mths after sugery never sent home with post op belt now got to have it all done again I would understand if I didn't listen didn't lift anything but did comme from hospital with a cold so was coughing allot think may be cause

Beachboy
Reply to Mark1

Howdy Mark,

Oh the memories... Especially the drain.

I kind of had a feeling what I would wake up to see, when I was in recovery after surgery.  But I did NOT like the drain tube.  Especially when the good doctor pulled it out.  

Thanks to you and IGGIE for sharing your photos. Really helps others who are about to have surgery, have an idea of what to expect.  And for those of us who already underwent surgery... brings back the memories.

Mark1

Oh yes the drain I thought it was never gonna end my toes did curl abit lol 

IGGIE
Reply to Mark1

G-Day Mark,  I hope your going to get that fixed. Regards IGGIE

Mark1

Well I'm hoping so think the surgeon has gone nuts to be honest he states I'm 5ft 8 tall and weight 13 stone he want me down to 9 stone before he will consider operation thats a ridiculous weight I have spoke to my local gp and he say 11.3 is my weight no less so not sure if operation is too big or weather the surgeon just don't want to do the op I have to see him in his clinic on 9 of January  so will keep you posted I carnt loose that much weight it won't be healthy

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Mark1

5'8" and 126 pounds?? Is your surgeon from Mars? That's bordering on emaciation. Even if you have a small bone structure.

Mark1

Yep that's what I thought so in my eyes there has to be a reason like I said in previous post I just think he don't want to do the op to be fair were I am in uk the other week was at hospital with a friend doctor said to us there was 300 beds short in wards and 189 patients in corridors awaiting beds so it bed shortage well never know I will wait and see but this has been a difficult year so Im alive new year deal with it new start what will be will be there are so many more people out there less fortunate than me