Surgery finally scheduled

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB

Hello, 

My surgery finally (after like 6 weeks of waiting and calling) got scheduled. I will be having proctocolectomy with end ileostomy on December 7th. 
I am nervous, scared, excited and a whole bunch of other emotions and feelings. 
I am getting worse each week and am looking forward to having relief from both UC and all the meds I’m on. 

im a bit worried about leaks, bag failure, how my body will respond and a bunch of other things I’m sure I don’t know I should worry about yet.. lol 

prayers, stories, tips are much welcomed 

Mysterious Mose

Stay positive. Leaks happen, but they are the exception rather than the rule for most people. And bag failures are quite rare. Just establish a routine and stick to it. For me, some the biggest things to get used to with an ileostomy were changes in eating habits and a familiarity with my bathroom I never had before. And being a bit inside out, of course. 😄

Keep us apprised of your progress. There are lots of folks here that can offer real advice on most anything you can ask about an ostomy.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

JustMeRLB
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you for your response. It’s much appreciated! 

mild_mannered_super_hero

Best wishes for a successful operation and a speedy recovery. To me the waiting is harder than the actual procedure.  There is a bit of a learning curve but with a little time you will master it just like the hundreds of folks on here have 😁.

Morning glory

Try not to worry  about failures and leaks at this point. You're  going  to do fine.  There is support in this group to reach out to; when you need it.  Best of luck on your upcoming  surgery.  

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

G-Day JustMe,  Like you I started this journey because of Ulcerative Colitis, JustMe you will get to LOVE your Stoma. And say goodbye to UC. I will be thinking of you on your journey and we are all here to help. Regards IGGIE

eefyjig

It's normal to be nervous but having major symptoms now can help make the surgery a relief. I had a standing commode next to my bed while waiting for mine. Every time I painfully sat down it affirmed my decision to finally have the surgery. Try not to worry about leaks now - Daniel is right, they happen but they're not the rule. Think about the sweet relief from symptoms that you'll have. The waiting is the hardest part 🎶. Best of luck and we're here for you!

ron in mich

Hi RLB i was in your shoes about 40yrs. ago sick from UC but i was tired of doc. appmt. and drugs especially prednisone and looked forward to surgery but still nervous, back then there was no internet and its wealth of info and no ostomy nurses to help figure things out. I was given a book on colostomies and was told they,re almost the same as ilieostomies, on the third day a nurse wheeled in a cart with supplies on it and told me i had to get up shower and change the pouch, that was the extent of my training, a pretty steep learning curve.

terrizajdel

Wishing you a speedy recovery from the surgery. Try not to worry about anything in advance as most things may not apply to you. Ask questions here and watch YouTube videos. All of my ostomate knowledge has been acquired this way. Me and Moana are doing great and soon so will you be. Best of luck!

Terri

gentlejohn

We all shared your emotions preop.  Unfortunately, the only thing that will relieve your anxiety is to have the surgery.  All those things you are worried about are rare if they happen at all.  I forgot what it felt like to feel good.  Focus on celebrating getting your life back.  

-Dan-

Good luck and take it easy and slowly and wish you and great recovery.

Leaks can and do happen. And it can take some time to find a bag that fits best and works best for you, so take tour time and know it can and will get better and easier over time. Lots to learn and adjust to, but before you know it, it'll all become routine.

Best

Safe in bed

@JustMeRLB 

My first post on here actually, I'm a recent ileostomy patient. I have had multiple bag failures at work, which was embarrassing. Literally poonami. It happens. SEALS go Google And get free samples then put on your prescription.

There are loads of different types to try