Convatec supplies for those with low income

Replies
Views
Daughter

Hi everyone,

For anyone who uses 180 Medical and has low income and health insurance, you can apply for financial aid!! They don’t publicly advertise this but I found out when I expressed my concerns about not being able to pay for the supplies.

Initially, my mom was using Medline as her supplier. Then we switched in April of this year because they no longer accepted her insurance. We were using Byram healthcare from April until last month. I was a little upset that Byram said they can no longer sell the adhesive remover spray to us. They said even though insurance pays them, they felt it wasn’t enough so now they can only sell us wipes. I don’t really like wipes so I reached out to Convatec to let them know and they suggested I call 180 medical. I wasn’t really all that happy with 180 medical when I was shopping around for a supplier a year ago but I decided to give them a another try. I am so happy I did!!

First, their supplies seem to be cheaper!!! I ordered two boxes of pouches, one box of wafers, and two bottles of adhesive remover spray and the total for everything was only $36 total.

With Byram healthcare, two boxes of pouches alone were $20.28. Two boxes of wafers were 34.32 initially but then went up to $35.60. 

I expressed to 180 medical that we were looking for programs to assist with co payment on medical supplies but every co payment relief program I called, they advised me they don’t cover durable medical equipment. They cover things like medications, premiums, co pays for doctor visits. The representative at 180 medical said since I brought it up, she can send me an application to fill it out for financial aid. My mom’s monthly income does not allow her to pay for any supplies. I pay for them. Although they didn’t ask for my income. Just my mom’s. 

We got approved for a lower out of pocket expense. So instead of paying $36 for those supplies mentioned before, we only have to pay $5. Just wanted to share for those struggling like me and mom.

Hisbiscus

Thank you so much for the information as I recently lost my coverage. I feel I would qualify and will call them tomorrow about this. Not sure they will cover mine due to the cost of one box of 5 costs $56 a piece but it’s certainly worth a shot.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,487 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gentlejohn

Byram is handy because they file insurance.  I would not buy anything from them that are not covered by insurance.  I don't know but they maybe insurance limitations of the adhesive remover sprays.  If I buy a supply that I have to pay for I get it from Amazon which so far has been less expensive.  Safe n' Simple is also a generic brand that is available in lieu of Hollister and Convatec.  

Daughter
Reply to Hisbiscus

I don’t know if you would qualify because they told me you need insurance to qualify but maybe if you speak to billing directly, they can somehow override it. Good luck!!

Daughter
Reply to gentlejohn

Gentlejohn,

Thank you for the reply! We only ever ordered items covered by insurance. In my April order, we were able to get the adhesive remover spray and insurance did pay 80%. We had to pay 20%. On our last order last month, byram said they no longer would sell it to us. We opened an account with 180 medical and they said my mom can get two bottles as per her insurance. Hopefully things continue to go smoothly with them.

On a side note, I never receive email notifications for anytime someone replies to my posts. I sent customer service an email weeks ago and got no response. Do you get notifications when you get responses? My settings are set up to get emails.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hisbiscus

Yes you were right in that you have to have insurance for the discount. They could not help me out.