New here

Replies
Views
Nini4

Hello, I am new here, and so grateful to have found this forum. 

I am 4 weeks in with my colostomy. Still coming to terms with the life change, and trying to remember it will get better.

I've had diverticulitis many years. The last flare up was the most painful I've ever had, and despite my fears, I knew it was time to have surgery.  Despite intellectually knowing it was the right decision, I am struggling a bit with depression and anxiety. I have a therapist and she has been wonderful.  Our mind can be our worst enemy for sure. 

I am going back to work tomorrow. Thankfully, I will be able to work from home for a few weeks. I'm happy to have a kind and understanding boss, as I work at figuring out my new routine. My stoma currently is most active,  right as the work day starts for me, so I will have to see how that goes. 

I have a wound vac pump which has done its job, my wounds are healing nicely, it's just a pain to have to have to carry, and does limit my mobility a bit. I had to go to the drug store today, and people look at you funny carrying this vac in a bag with tubes coming out of it. Probably more so I'm my mind, but it does make me self-conscious.  

I have many questions, and will be asking a lot, so hope that's okay. 

Just wanted to say hi and look forward to meeting others who understand.  

Bill

Hello Nini4.
Welcome to the site.
These early days of having a stoma are a great opportunity to share experiences and to ask questions. It sounds as if you are already doing well and as it tends to be a fairy lengthy journey, it's as well to be patient and pace yourself for whatever there is to come. 
You are quite right about the problems posed in our minds being  just as relevant as those posed by any physical dysfunction, but they too can be managed in ways that help us on our way and in some ways enable us to be more confident and competent along the way.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish and I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here who will be willing to pass on their wisdom and experience.
Best wishes

Bill  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,506 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Riva

Hi:  . Education is key on this new journey of yours.   I suggest you check out UOAA, United Ostomy Association of America. It’s our National organization.  Also , Ostomy101.com .  You will learn about foods, blockages, skin care, clothing , Ostomy products, travel, activities , and a whole host of other tricks of the trade.   You might also want to check out a local support group near you .  Just remember you are not alone on this new journey of yours. Wearing a pouch does not define whom you are.  There are solutions. We’re here for you . Best of luck. 

Beachboy

Hello Nini4,

You've come to the right place.  Everyone here has, or had, an Ostomy.  I have a colostomy like you.  I'm one year post op.  I had exploratory surgery and ended up with my permanent stoma pal. 

I've learned how to live with my stoma from the shared experience of other Ostomymates on this web site, and you will too.  I'm really used to mine.  And can be a source of humor from time to time.  My wife & I were at a concert a couple of months ago.  She needed to use the restroom.... there were long lines.  My wife was saying "I gotta go NOW."  I smugly replied "I can always wait."  

Output with a colostomy is thicker and not very acidic.  In my experience, getting output on my skin does not cause irritation.  So cutting the hole in the wafer is easier.  Don't have to make the hole be so close to your stoma.

You might consider getting a support belt and wearing it until your surgical area is healed.  It's very easy to develope a peristomal hernia under or around your stoma.  Nu-Hope company, located in California, makes comfortable belts.  There are also belts called "stealth belts."  There's no guarantee belts will prevent a hernia, but it does not hurt to try.

I have a peristomal hernia.  I'm not happy with it.  Causes my stoma to protrude quite a bit.  No one told me about belts till it was too late.  I wear a Nu-Hope belt to work.  

Welcome, and take care

Morning glory

Welcome Nini4 you have landed in the right place. Feel free to ask questions.  That's  what we do here. I am glad you are seeking therapy  for your depression.  You're  fortunate  to have an understanding boss. You are going to be fine. Good luck.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Nini4

Thank you for the warm welcome.  Tonight, out of nowhere I started crying. Nothing really happened, the tears just came. Guess it's the stages of grief. I'm still so new to all of this and my brain gets jumbled sometimes.  

Maybe it is the fear of the unknown. I am a natural worrier, and I guess I am going to have to learn how to defeat the worry. So many of you are doing so well, and it gives me hope that I too will get there. 

I look forward to getting to know you all more, and absorb the wisdom, advice and humor. 

AlexT
Reply to Nini4

Worry about what? Life’s too short to worry about things you can’t control. Enjoy each day, smile, and live….bout as worry/stress free as you can get. Each day can be ☀️ or 🌧️ in life, choose the ☀️, having wet socks all the time sucks. 😁 Welcome btw. 

Nini4
Reply to AlexT

Agree, wet socks are dreadful. 😊

And thanks for the welcome!

Caz67

Hi welcome to the site. It's still early days so don't be hard on yourself. We have all gone through exactly what you are at some point so you are not alone. You can see we are a friendly bunch of people with lot's of advice/tips and humour. XX ❤️

Axl

Hello from Oz ..

Justbreathe

Welcome and questions are great !  All the different answers you will receive help you to determine which trial and error will suit your own needs.  Questions also help others who may be shy to ask but certainly benefit from the answers given.  Best wishes for a peaceful acceptance of your new journey and hopefully a more pain-free life.  jb

Dogen\'s bag

Welcome! 

This site allowed me to vent and share with people that understand.  Ask many questions and don't be hard on yourself, you've gone through enough.

Time is a wonderful healer.

DB

ron in mich

Hi Nini4 welcome to the site, i,ve had my ilieostomy for 30 some years before the internet and great sites like this and the good people here. 

xnine

Welcome to the site. I would say we could meet in the chat room but they took that away.

Nini4
Reply to xnine

Thank you!

Nini4
Reply to Caz67

Thank you!

Nini4
Reply to ron in mich

Thank you!

Nini4
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Thank you!

Nini4
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you!

warrior

its all good here kiddo.

i can't say more than anyone else here. you are not alone.

nothing wrong with a good healthy cry sweetie.

welcome. 

- Warrior