Use of Osto EZ Vent

Replies
Views
patandwinnie55
Nov 22, 2023 5:42 pm

I have a lot of gas. I use filtered pouches, but after even one day's use, the filters are not very effective. Can anyone who has used the Osto EZ Vent, share their experience -- how easy to use?, effectiveness?, is it covered by Medicare? 

Beachboy
Nov 22, 2023 7:46 pm

I was considering trying the Osto EZ vent.  But decided it's easier to burp the bag (I use a 2 piece Hollister).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kittybou
Nov 22, 2023 8:04 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Burp the bag?

patandwinnie55
Nov 22, 2023 10:13 pm

Yes, I burp the bag several times a day... just thought the vent would be easier than opening up the bottom of the bag. Thanks!

patandwinnie55
Nov 22, 2023 10:16 pm
Reply to kittybou

Yes - I use a one-piece pouch, so for me to 'burp the bag' I have to open the bottom to let gas out. With a two-piece system, you can more easily burp it, kinda like you might burp Tupperware.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
AlexT
Nov 22, 2023 11:05 pm
Reply to kittybou

Burp the bag... open your bag and let the air out.

Justbreathe
Nov 23, 2023 1:09 pm

I am guessing any means for air to escape would cause some smelly air - even deodorants are not always efficient at covering up b. o.

I use Convatec products through Med180 - includes:

Bags with clamps, barrier wipes, barrier rings, adhesive remover wipes, stoma powder, and spray remover - monthly

Medicare covers most of the expense and I pay on average $26 each month depending on amounts needed of each product. I keep a small stockpile in case of any emergency such as delivery problems due to hurricanes blah blah blah

Beachboy
Nov 23, 2023 2:29 pm

I've had a few memorable bag burps at home.

Thought my wife was upstairs, burped the beast... Discovered wife was in the kitchen. Response was immediate and pointed: "Is that YOU?" My wife yelled out as she ran upstairs. Didn't see her for quite a while. Actually got to watch TV in peace. So, burping... not all bad.

IGGIE
Nov 25, 2023 11:56 am

G-Day Pattandwinnie55, The only problem with these vents is it can only be used once, so you will need one for every time you change your bag. It sticks to the bag so well you can't get it off again, so you will have to order a lot of vents. Just burp it. Regards, IGGIE

papaboo
Nov 25, 2023 8:44 pm

I use them to burp, and I have an injector that fits perfectly. I inject water into my bag when contents are really thick. This loosens it up and helps it flow out easier. Unfortunately, I have more issues than just the colostomy, so whatever keeps things working.

tnmontan9721
Dec 04, 2023 6:55 pm

I was told by our supplier/provider that Medicare and commercial insurance companies do not cover the EZ vent. I had been burping the bag several times a day. For me, it was a pain. My husband researched and found the EZ vents on Amazon for half the cost of our supplier. We ordered a pack of ten. For me, it was so much more convenient and well worth the money. My husband is working on a way to reuse the vent at least one more time. He is a retired engineer and is good at solving issues like that!

Happytostillbehere
Dec 07, 2023 1:47 am

I've been using them for a while and find them a lot more convenient, especially when you're outside.

warrior
Dec 07, 2023 5:28 am
Reply to IGGIE

Good point about the one use.

Didn't think much about that when I used these things. I thought it was worth it since burping the bag could be messy, and if you have arthritis in your fingers, re-snapping the two-piece is painful.

The bags I use now seem to have a double liner making for a bad seal. Don't use them anymore.

When the bag inflates, I usually drain it at the same time. While upright, open the bag.

Or unlock the gizmo and rotate the bag 180 if no poop is present. Open the drain.

Mind you, doing this, your nose will get the full pleasure experience of stepping in dog shit.

warrior
Dec 07, 2023 5:37 am
Reply to tnmontan9721

Hmm, in order to save the vent pop valve gizmo, I don't know how it could be saved and reused since glue is involved.

Cleaning the bag out is the only way to save the e-z valve.

Could consider it a win-win.

You save on bag expense by reusing it and save money on reusing the valve with no threat of leaks.

You might want to invest in a gas mask though. 😋

Heppy8
Jan 07, 2024 10:19 am

I use one when I'm out with my walking club. It's just so much easier to open the bag to let the gas escape than having to lower my walking trousers and get my bag out and find a discreet wall to do it behind, which can be difficult to find out in the middle of the Derbyshire Peak District.

tnmontan9721
Jan 09, 2024 5:50 pm

Please see my original reply that my husband was going to try and reuse the vents. My husband was able to get the vent off the used bag and he has reused the vent on a new bag. He used a clear plastic glue on one vent to attach to a new bag. And another vent when he took it off the old bag the adhesive came off with the vent and he attached it to the new bag and it worked fine, stayed on the new bag.