Feeling Frustrated and Missing Stomach-Lying Activities with an Ostomy

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Dec 01, 2023 11:18 am

Hi guys. I am feeling frustrated because I might have to go back to the hospital. It would seem I am not all the way better, as much as I told the doctor who let me out. Plus, also, my stoma is being cranky. It keeps farting loudly. And I did something I haven't done since I had my ostomy. I laid on my stomach. I was coloring a picture because I couldn't sleep all last night. Nothing bad happened from doing that, but when I got up, my ostomy made the loudest, longest fart I have ever heard. Does anyone else dare to lay on their stomach since having an ostomy? Before I had mine, I used to sleep on my stomach. Also, I would do journaling while laying on my stomach or do any activity you can do laying on your stomach. So I really miss that and feel very strange not being able to lay on my stomach. I am just worried about crushing my stoma or having the bag pop or leak. It's a stupid thing to worry about, I guess, but my mind is jam-packed full of stupid things right now.

Lee

Beth22
Dec 01, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi,

I used to be a stomach sleeper and lay on my stomach too. I, like you, don't want to lay on my stoma lol. From what I know, and with babies having them, people surfing, and getting a back massage, it is fine. I woke up one night shortly after I got mine, and I had been laying on it all night lol.

So is the farting making you worry? Because your stoma is going to fart. I know when I have certain things, you can hear her all the way across a room for an hour straight lol šŸ˜†

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Dec 01, 2023 3:44 pm

Slept on my stomach for over 30 years with a stoma, never had a problem. Some put a pillow underneath them, but I've never done that. If you're not eating much, you will fart more; just a natural thing to pass gas anyway. Also, it could be diet-related. Even if you've been snoring, it can cause it.

AlexT
Dec 01, 2023 3:48 pm

Farting is a natural occurrence. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø I was a stomach sleeper too. Laying on your stomach for short amounts of time doesn't hurt anything. As far as your mind being jammed full of stupid things, I'm guessing you're easily influenced by others or what you see on social media? There's a very simple cure for that, turn it off. A person's life is as stressful as one makes it. Turn off what fills your mind with the stress/anxiety (or whatever you wanna call it), and life becomes way more enjoyable. Have a good day and smile.

Justbreathe
Dec 01, 2023 4:26 pm

I too was a stomach sleeperā€”all night long. However, stays in the hospital cured thatā€”all the gear, tubes, hosesā€”not much chance of fully laying flat out on my stomach šŸ˜ .
When I got home, my natural instinct was belly down, but the mental fear caused me to lose sleep, and personally, nothing is more important to me than my sleep. Occasionally, I will wake up belly down, but now I find side sleeping is much more comfortable. Turns out, I should have been doing this my whole lifeā€”it might have saved me from many facial wrinkles in my old age!
I never could lay on my belly to read books, watch TV, or writeā€”it always gave me neck problemsā€”probably because I never did these things while laying on a bed, and that dang floor is hard šŸ˜€.
Belly farts, for me, are usually food-related. Milk, my favorite, super inflates my bag very quicklyā€¦ in fact, if it were helium gas, I would surely end up on the ceiling! jb

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
infinitycastle52777
Dec 01, 2023 6:59 pm
Reply to Beth22

The farting doesn't worry me. Mostly, what worries me is the pressure of my body on the bag and that it might burst or leak. My stoma farts regularly. I have come to expect it. My mom calls it "talking," and she will reply to it. I guess I just have anxiety, and so I decided to focus it on that instead of what is really making me anxious.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Dec 01, 2023 7:00 pm
Reply to Ben38

You are kidding me??? Snoring causes stomach farts? Now that gave me a laugh. Thank you!!

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Dec 01, 2023 7:02 pm
Reply to AlexT

I find it hard to "turn off" my mind. Maybe because I am apparently still manic. My mind lacks an off switch at this time.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Dec 01, 2023 7:07 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

It is a change for me. I started sleeping on my side after my first surgery. Now I mostly sleep that way. But I still have the urge to do activities while laying on my tummy. Everything from coloring to reading magazines. I just want to be on my tummy. But I don't normally because I worry about the bag popping from poo not being able to go down the bag when I am laying on it. When my stoma was farting, I hadn't eaten anything in over 8 hours. I think I should have named him Gassy Gus instead of Marvin (the Martian).

Lee

Mysterious Mose
Dec 01, 2023 8:28 pm

I was a stomach sleeper all my life. Even with my pouch, I still almost get that way. I keep most of my weight at my left and middle. For the first few months, I slept only on my right side. This was due to all the tubes that protruded from my left side. Once they came out and the holes healed a bit, I went to my left side and eventually back to semi-stomach sleeping. But now that I am broken of stomach sleeping, I am glad for that. I would always end up with my arms under me and end up waking up with significant pain. No more. :-)

Daniel

Beth22
Dec 01, 2023 11:29 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Lol, your stoma is talking funny. I say the same thing, or she will sing hahaha. She gets attitude too. I wish I could help you out more on the stomach sleeping, but I was at first a side sleeper and then now a back sleeper. But raised up back sleeper with a million pillows. Had to after this last surgery.

infinitycastle52777
Dec 02, 2023 7:30 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

If you are lying on your tummy, where does the poop go? Isn't that pressing a lot on the bag?

infinitycastle52777
Dec 02, 2023 7:35 am
Reply to Beth22

Yep, stomas have attitude for sure. My Marvin (the Martian) has attitude to spare. If I vary his routine, he thinks it's poop-a-palooza. And he always is in a hurry to mess up a fresh clean bag (sometimes before I can even get the bag on him). Yep, we call it Marvin talking. And my mom will answer him too! She also, from time to time, gives him a little pat or a gentle poke through the bag, or a funny little hand hug. It was his 8-month birthday on November 30, and Mom and I even sang happy birthday to him! Yep, we are nuts. But there is a lot of laughter in this house. Keeps spirits up.

Lee

Beth22
Dec 02, 2023 9:17 am

Hi there, that doesn't sound weird at all, especially with the temperament and attitude they get when changing. Lol, I have sung to my stoma many times, especially because mine, like yours, likes to roll every time I change my bag. Lol, so I will sing to her šŸ˜‚. I talk to her when she is going wonky (Briella, stop doing that) or please, Briella, I need some time just to get the bag on. Lol.

And that's a great thing. Yes, jokes and laughter are the best.

infinitycastle52777
Dec 02, 2023 11:53 pm
Reply to Beth22

šŸ˜ Yeah, Briella, behave for 2 minutes till the bag gets on! I can be heard all over the house when Marvin mistakes the shower for a toilet, it's like "MARVIN!!!!!" I changed bags today and Mr. Marvin Rose did not wait for me to get the bag fixed to the wafer. He was in a hurry to make everything all messy again. Think he might be a pig masquerading as a stoma. Likes to roll around in his own mess. Lol

Lee

kennybob94zz
Dec 11, 2023 5:40 pm

I still lay on mine most of the time. But I am not closed up. I can wear a stoma cap and go regularly. But the bowel movement hurts šŸ˜•. I was just to have it for two months, haven't been back; that was 17 years ago.