Where for art thou, sleep?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

So I finally got the narcotic sleeping pill that carries heafty warnings for addiction as well as sleep walking and sleep paralysis. It's called Belsomra or something like that. I fully expected it would knock me on my butt. Well, I am still waiting. I actually got 2 hours of sleep 2 times last night/this morning. I slept for 2 hours and then was up for about an hour and then slept for 2 hours more but was up and ready to go to the gym at 4:30am. Which I did and biked 12.20 miles at an average watts of 104 on levels 5 and 6. Then I came home and had french toast. LoL I guess I can't complain because 4 hours of sleep in one night was more sleep then I previously got in 5 days. I don't know why but I keep waking up at 2am. Like litterally 2am every night. Then I want to get dressed and start my day. Makes no sense. The more I do it though the more my brain thinks that is natural. Marvin the stoma doesn't mind me waking up and emptying his baggy. So he can turn around  an fill it back up in less than an hour. I have noticed since taking iron that he has thicker output. I wonder how that works and why. I don't mind because he is still producing plenty of output. Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my other post. You all are so kind!!! 

Lee

Bill

Hello Lee.
Thanks for sharing.
It reminds me of a long-lost friend.
Many years ago, I had a friend/colleague, who came into work one day and literally fell asleep at his desk. When I asked him about it, he explained that he had taken his sleeping pills the night before, but they hadn't helped at all during the night, but had kicked in as soon as he walked into the office!
I offered to take him home in my car because he was obviously in no fit state to drive.
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,502 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Bill

Sleeping pills are interesting. My psych nurse has tried all sorts of things to get me to sleep regularly. She thought giving me 600mg of gabapentin would knock me out. Nope. Then she added Doxipen. Nope. So then with the Ambien. And now with a combination of 600mg gabapentin and the Belsomra she is hoping to have me sleeping at least 6 hours a night. So far it's been 4 hours the night before last and 4 and a half hours last night. But all broke up in pieces. When I woke up at 2am this morning I was actually really glad I did wake up then, because my bag was so full of air that it could have exploded on me. I mean you could press on the bag and it did not go in at all. So I got up and let the air out but then I was up for my day. Amazing how boring 2am is when you aren't sleeping.

Lee

Morning glory

I feel  for you Lee. I have insomnia, but no energy after lying awake.  I hope you will find the right medicine  to help you.

AlexT

I’d rather be tired than filled up on drugs. You will eventually sleep, your body will demand it. If your sleep/awake times are all messed up and you don’t have daily responsibilities like working, who cares when you’re awake or asleep. 🤷‍♂️ Personally, I can go from up all day to up all night and adjust my sleep pretty easily, my job demands it. The issue with being up all night is it messes up your circadian rhythm which is set to be sleeping at night, especially from roughly 2-5am. Also, being up nights means you’re basically always tired because your natural sleep patterns are messed up. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

Only the problem this last month and a half is that I am never tired. Enter the mania. When I was in hospital they got me to sleep 5 hours one night by pumping me full of drugs and putting me in restraints. I guess I was a little psycho. I keep telling people I will sleep when my body is ready to give in. I don't seem to have any of the side effects of taking this Belsomra. I have absolutely no hangover effect. When I get up at 2am I am energized and ready to go to the gym and work out. And all my working out doesn't make me tired either. I kind of thought I could wear myself out. So far that does not seem to be the case. Eventually though I am guessing I will crash. Probably badly. I have been keeping active during the day with walking in addition to the exercise at the gym. Also chores. Appointments. Shopping. Going to yell at the bank lady. Doing my therapy homework. And a lot of holiday baking (and dish washing). Everything but working. The absence of work doesn't keep me still or sitting around much. I keep thinking I should try to take an afternoon nap, but I never seem to have the time or the true desire to lay down. All good things must come to an end though and one night I am going to sleep a full 8 hours. Just the question is when.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Morning glory

Thanks, I am sorry you have insomnia too. It is a challenging thing to deal with. I have been dealing with it since my early teen years. I am hoping this new med works and that it cuts the mania and lets me have a break to actually rest.

Lee

AlexT
Reply to infinitycastle52777

So if you do all that stuff during the day, why not work? 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

Mental Health reasons are why I am on disability.