Managing Low Magnesium After Emergency Ileostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
MargaretMary
Dec 21, 2023 9:57 pm

I was wondering if anyone else has trouble with low magnesium. I had an emergency ileostomy 7 weeks ago. I take Imodium daily to combat too much output, which is mostly liquid. I am getting weekly IV fluids to help with dehydration. For the 3rd week in a row, my magnesium was low. I am not very adventurous with my food choices yet since the surgery is so recent. Has anyone else experienced this? Any easy digestible food recommendations?

I should add that in August I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure (from chemo, I assume, but my doctor denies) so I am also supposed to be on a low sodium diet. No Gatorade or Pedialyte.

I've learned so much from this forum in just the couple of weeks since I've joined. I appreciate everyone sharing! And thanks in advance for any advice.

warrior
Dec 21, 2023 10:18 pm

Hi.. Mag is a very important vital mineral. Assuming you are having complete blood and vitamin labs, is mag the only one affected?

Zinc, calcium, and the B vitamins must be checked too.

I had all that done. Good to know where those numbers are.

Being dehydrated will mess your level up badly.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Morning glory
Dec 22, 2023 12:11 pm

Magnesium is so important in your diet. I am surprised that your doctor hasn't prescribed any. You can get OTC magnesium. I get the gummies. Google foods that contain magnesium and you will see foods you can eat.

warrior
Dec 22, 2023 1:31 pm
Reply to Morning glory

Gummies are always a good choice. Just chew, chew, chew them.

Morning glory
Dec 22, 2023 5:49 pm
Reply to warrior

Absolutely, along with any food you take in.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Lins0808
Dec 27, 2023 1:52 pm

I've had an ileostomy for 43 years (I'm 54). Recently, my naturopath suggested a magnesium balm (by Remedium). It moisturizes and delivers magnesium transdermally.

You can also get magnesium supplements at the drugstore if your diet isn't giving you enough.