So...

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

So I have these hernias that they are going to have to fix with mesh. What I am wondering is does that mean I will never be able to lift weights again? Or is it just while healing I shouldn't. Anyone else here had hernia repair surgery? What is the recovery time like? And once recovered can you return to normal activity or is it a no-go for life? I really don't want to get more hernias and I also don't want to tempt the mesh to harm other organs. I was talking to my friend last night and she was saying maybe I should not lift weights ever again. But I was saying once I am healed from the surgery shouldn't I be 100% again?? And she was saying with each abdominal surgery my stomach muscles are going to be weaker and weaker and so it will be more likely that I will get another hernia. Since the three I have are along my scar from my first major surgery (when they took out my large intestines) that that area is going to remain weak. If that is the case what is the point of the mesh being put in? I do know the surgeon told me that you can only heal to 75% from any abdominal surgery. So if that is true of my first surgery, what percent will it be for an additional surgery? I feel like what people are saying to me is that I should expect more hernias in my future as my guts will just keep trying to push out. And now I have a hard spot above my stoma that sticks out when I am standing up. Which is not exactly where they told me the hernias are located. I am so confused.

Lee

AlexT

You’ll never be 100% again, you have a stoma. Everything I’ve read on hernia repair is that it doesn’t have the best long term results, meaning you can get more hernias. I’m waiting as long as possible to get mine fixed. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

I am not the one putting my surgery off. It's the surgeon who is delaying it. But first the gallbladder surgery which isn't till the end of February. Then I have to wait at least a month before she is willing to put me under again to do the hernia repair. I am just feeling kind of hopeless. Like I know this can be an on going process. I just don't know if it is all worth it. She told me I can't wait a long time to get the three hernia's fixed because of complications, yet she doesn't want to do it right away. So is it urgent or not? I feel like I am getting mixed messages. She also told me just because she is fixing these three doesnt mean there will not be more in the future. So it is a double edged sword. Fixing it could lead to more and not fixing it could lead to a life threatening situation. 

Lee

AlexT
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Never said you were putting it off. And yes, you have it pretty much all figured out, either has pros/cons. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

Oh, I wasn't saying you were saying I was putting it off, what you said was you were putting it off. I was just responded to that for myself. Sorry for the mix up.

Lee

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ileoc

I have gone through the exact same thing.  Initial ileostomy in 1995 b/c of ulcerative colitis.  Three midline hernias appeared in 2021.  I had been taking silver sneakers classes at the gym but evidently, they were too much pressure.  Those hernias were fixed with surgery.  I went back to Silver Sneakers classes b/c I thought I was all fixed.  Now I have a hernia coming up next to my stoma, which I suspect you do too.  The types of food I can eat has shrunken down to pasta, mashed potatoes, chicken, toast, pureed vegetables.  Otherwise I get a blockage.  I'm scheduled for hernia repair surgery next month.  I know I will never again be as I was before my first surgery but at least I'm still alive at 69.  I am hopeful that this upcoming surgery will be it for a long time and my ability to eat a wider variety of things will improve. 

I know you don't want to hear it but any weightlifting that puts pressure on your abdominal area is not recommended for those who've had the abdominal surgeries that we have had.  Actually, it's recommended that you not lift anything weightier than a gallon of milk.  Even using my favorite leg press machine at the gym is off limits.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Ileoc

I totally understand about the limits to foods that you can eat. I always say my stoma is a pastatarian (as apposed to a vegetarian) because he only seems to like pasta. I puree my veggies too. Makes them less appealing but better digested. For the longest time my diet has been V8, soup, pasta, chicken and potatoes. I recently added fish sticks which has gone ok except that one time I had a bad stomach pain after eating that I am wondering if it wasn't trying to be a blockage. I drank a lot of water and the pain went away but it was scary when it was happening. I kept thinking should I go be seen in the ER or wait for it to pass. Eventually it did pass though. Oh you are a fan of the leg press?? I love that machine. Before I was told not to I was pressing 80 pounds 100 reps with each leg and then with both legs. Then when I saw my doc for the results of my CT I was told I should absolutely not be doing that. Or any thing at the gym but the bikes. So now I have resolved myself to doing 12 to 13 miles at a time on the bike and feeling mad that I can't do the weights. I give longing looks to the machines as I pass them by. 

Lee