Sucked In

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

What is it called when you stoma goes flat against your skin, and how to you get a bag on properly when it does that. Mine has done it a couple of times and it puts it in a perfect position to  go under the ring and make a leak. Is there a name for this? I think there is, I just don't know what it is. Fortunately the majority of the time mine sticks out enough for me to have confidence that the bag is going to stick on right and be sealed well. But a few times lately like I shower with the bag off so I can get my skin good and clean and I have had the experience were my stoma hmm...retracts? Is that what it is called? Instead of sticking out about half a inch it goes flat so it is even with my skin. Or just about even.

Lee

eefyjig

Lee, it sounds like the heat of the shower makes it retract - mine, too, but only briefly until it cools down. If yours is the same as this, then put your ring and bag on as usual and your stoma will eventually fill up the space. Do you use a convex bag? That will help your stoma to protrude.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Mine does it too randomly all throughout the day  and will also go under the wafer .. when I sleep as well and I don't sleep flat 🤷 no idea why .. I ve tried to see if there was a pattern or reason for mine but there isnt .  She does it when she feels like it . She is very stubborn and temperamental lol 

Beachboy

Just natural.  Stoma's react to heat, cold, moisture, activity, inactivity.  

Mine normally sticks out 2+ inches.  But when I lay down or relax on the couch, only sticks out 1/2 an inch. 

Sometimes it swells to double its girth with little blood veins visible, usually when I'm physically active or wearing a hernia support belt.

Try using a convex wafer.  Will push your tummy skin downward around your stoma, exposing more stoma length.  

Beth22

Lol mine goes well below that  and then some ..And for no reason seriously does it whenever she feels like it   I have watched it closely to try and figure it out if there was a pattern or reason . Like if I ate something or drank something different, or a certain time or position of sitting or how my legs are when I sit etc  but no just beats to her own drum . I myself can't wear convex where this stoma is it a bag can't adhere around it it due to the location. Along with the fact I can only wear one brand (allergic to every brand )and they don't offer a softer plate for my position of stoma site 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Beachboy
Reply to Beth22

Yep.  The little beasts have a mind of their own.  No rhyme or reason.

Jayne
Reply to Beth22

Hello Beth,

May one enquire which single brand does not give you an allergic reaction?

[I am not a premium member - or I would privately message you - but I believe as you are a Premium Member you will be able to email what brand if you so wish - TY.]

BW

Jayne