What causes the Eakin ring to expand up through the flange?

Replies
Views
Ostomytommy

Does anyone have any advice on how to eliminate this from occurring?  It's been happening more frequently.  I have an ileostomy as of Aug 2023.

Thank you

Ostoberry

Hi from up the road Ormond Beach. I have a colostomy and I use barrier rings not eakins but that happens to me if I cut my wafer hole too large.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rose Bud 🌹

I use them... but have pre cut wafers. They will expand more once liquid starts coming out of tour stoma. The extra breaks down by the next day.If your cutting your own Ostoberry is right.It's suppost to fill in around your stoma to prevent leaks. IF this isn't the case for you then call Convatec they can help you figure out what's going on and send you free samples if needed.If you need the number : 1-800-422-8811

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU 😊

Beachboy

I use a moldable ring so I don't have to cut my wafer hole precisely to fit my stoma.  Seal the stoma with the ring.  Cut a large wafer hole.  Great time saver, comfortable too.

AlexT

Liquid, they swell with liquid/moisture contact. It’s why they seal so well and fill in the little gaps. You could always adjust how you fit it or even trim it if it really bothers you. 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Beth22

As alex T said 

Also how are you cutting your wafer? Should be cutting it to the size of your stoma