Needed help and suggestions

Replies
Views
MJT821

Good morning, 

I've had my colostomy for close to 20 years now. I use to get 4-5 days wear time. Now I'm lucky to get 2-3 days. The reason for this post, I've been experiencing leaks lately. I've been trying a washer type product that goes around the stoma and paste, but still having problems.  Any suggestions or advice appreciated.  Thanks Mike

Heppy8

I use a similar type of ring and can average between 1 to 7 days. Do you pre-warm the adhesive on the ring and bag before applying?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,531 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

What products are you using?

Does your stoma protrude or lay low on your skin?  Do you have a peristomal hernia?  

Is the skin around your stoma flat & smooth or bulged/wrinkled? 

AlexT

Having an ostomy for 20 years you should know ins/outs of what to do. Have you contacted the company that makes your bags and asked if they have changed anything in the composition of the sticky stuff? If they have, that alone could be your issue for not getting it to stick and cause leaks. Or if you have changed products, that could cause it too.  Otherwise, you’d have to describe your exact method of changing/applying your bags to see if there is something there that can be adjusted to fix your issue. 

w30bob

Hi Mike,

The obvious question is what's changed?  Something must be different than it was prior for you to be experiencing shorter wear time.  

;O)

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
warrior

Yeah on face value I'd go with what Alex said that could be the problem or change in the quality of the product and rumor has it that could be an issue . others had  complained about leaks  u r using an o ring barrier and then the appliance or the wafer but really after 20 years you should have this down pat and obviously something's changed maybe physically it could be the hernia it could be maybe gain weight or lost weight so you might have to look at that angle too and how bad are the leaks since you have a colostomy it's probably pretty solid you might need to change your diet ......20 years a lot of things can happen you don't even realize it dude good luck I hope you find a better answer..

but we are just working with what you gave us

Bryce

Hi Mike, 

Might want to try remeasuring your stoma. Started having leaks after 10 years - stoma had shrunk 1/3 " - moved down one size and problem

disappeared. Good Luck! 

Bryce