Hollister 85711: Leaking Closure System - Seeking Solutions!

Replies
Views
Abefroman1969

While I've been spending time at the cottage and tore through the supplies I brought with me, the stoma nurse who I like very much opened the supply closet and restocked me for my stay here. The hospital just started carrying the above-stated product, about as comfortable as any appliance is to wear. It's a soft convex that helps out my recently fixed prolapsed ileostomy. I was really enjoying it as much as I possibly could. Woke up from a nap today and saw I had a leak. I've been having issues with the staples getting a bag to last and this one does. But the closure system at the bottom where you empty leaks. I'm not taking it off and changing it as my skin is tired. I've been here 11 days and changed the appliance 9 times. I will change it tomorrow to either a 2-piece Convatec or my last Coloplast from home. Both of those appliances do not leak from poor closure systems. Never had an issue but have read about them plenty on here, so I'm now a member of that club!

I've had the RN's change it, I've changed it, and the stoma nurse has changed it. The midline staples are making it very difficult to get a proper seal. At least I know it's not just me. I now just have washcloths at the bottom of the appliance for additional leakage. Tomorrow being Monday, I'm gonna ask the stoma nurse to do the change.

Darn you Hollister, you have the best baseplate but the worst closure system!

Thinking up ideas for a Frankenbag: Hollister baseplate, Convatec Eakin barrier ring, and Coloplast for style and closure system. Just one that works!

Beth22

I am really sorry you're in the hospital again. May I ask what happened?

That sucks. Good wafer, bad bag... Darn it.

I tried them once... well, I always test my skin on the opposite side of the stoma in case of an allergic reaction, and I had a horrible one with Hollister. I wish it wasn't so... and I wish yours wasn't so. I'm sorry.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I've never had an issue with the closure system.

HenryM

I'm with AlexT... I've never had any problems with my Hollister closure, and I love the CeraPlus skin barrier. Geez, Abe, I hope you get out of there and home soon, buddy.

SallyK

Eat lots of cookies while you are there.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

That's my system 1 piece drainable convex Coloplast with ring. Very comfy....never had a blowout or leak....only not applied and dried properly....lasts me 7 days...

I tried Hollister for 5 days and had the same issues. Wrote them but like everything else, no response...

Heal fast and hurry home, bud...Have a superfine day...

Tracy

Abefroman1969
Reply to AlexT

Watery output, I've never had a closure issue before now and only with this model, I've seen that others have had issues with closure systems on both Salts and Hollister appliances.

It was user error didn't make sure the hard Velcro was firmly set.

After having the prolapse fixed and staples up my midline again it's a challenge and like starting over again. I'm happy I got to the bottom of it so I don't make the same mistake. Even the ostomy nurse was having difficulty attaching any type of appliance. Now that the pain has lessened and I'm more aware once the staples are removed I should be good as I can be.

eefyjig

The same thing happened to me, Abe. When my output became super watery, around the time my gallstones were becoming an issue, I started leaking through the "lock and roll" closure of my Hollister bag. I've been wearing Hollister for several years with no problem until this and wondered if they changed something about this bag over time. I called them and they replaced three boxes. I still find that, if I don't squeeze that Velcro on the bottom just so, it doesn't mesh the way it should...

I hope you get to come home soon!

ron in mich

Hi Abe, good luck with your recovery. When I had resection surgery a few years ago, the hospital used Hollister products. And when I was recovering and dopey from meds, I had a mess at the lock and roll closure every time I emptied it.

Abefroman1969
Reply to Beth22

This hospitalization was originally for my prolapsed stoma, rectal stump removal, fix parastomal hernia and Ken butt, and see if it helps get me off all these pain meds. Because of my hidradenitis suppurativa, Ken butt is now on hold as my skin can't handle the grafts.
It's a one-piece bag and as others have said, if you don't set that hard plastic Velcro-type closure, you will get leaks with watery output and that's exactly what happened. I was used to one kind of closure and not taking my time, so user error.

Abefroman1969
Reply to HenryM

Headed home tomorrow! This was all in all a great stay on the surgical floor where I'm a frequent flyer. I have great nurses that know me and my body, and I get treated like a king.
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the support from everyone here.
Again, it was user error, not the product. Just had to wait until today to find out from Alex and you and the stoma nurse what the issue was. ME!

Abefroman1969
Reply to ron in mich

Yahtzee! I just was tired and frustrated, all better now.

Abefroman1969
Reply to eefyjig

Tomorrow I get sprung! Good thing too, I've had about enough of other patients and I'm sure they've had enough of me!
Thank you for your response. It helped a ton. That hard plastic on the lock and roll was defeating me.

HenryM
Reply to SallyK

Three cheers for cookies, a panacea for just about anything.

Abefroman1969
Reply to SallyK

I'm glad I bought all the cookies possible when I arrived. I went on a wildcat mission to the lobby Au Bon Pain to restock before going home tomorrow. Permanently closed, turning into Panera Bread and dropping my favorite cookies in the process. I was more disappointed about that than I was being called a thief. I have 6 left. There are only 2 other Au Bon Pain locations in the city, and both in hospitals I don't go to, most likely also switching to Panera. This has been a terrible summer for my sweet tooth! Toasted almond bars, Choco Taco's, now Palmiers from ABP. Maybe I should just switch to Lovanox so they will discontinue that as well!