Traveling to Mexico with an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
Tomoszo
Jan 09, 2024 5:17 am

Is there anyone who has traveled to Mexico with an ileostomy? Where I'm going is still hot in February. How should I prepare for their type of restrooms? I am 79 and traveling alone; should I not go?

AlexT
Jan 09, 2024 6:56 am

Pretty sure you'll be OK. Enjoy. Are you going to a civilized part of Mexico or off-the-grid type areas?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,835 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

pr3ntic3
Jan 09, 2024 1:45 pm

I have traveled a few times to Mexico after having my ileostomy. Most recently in November of 2022 for a dive trip in the Sea of Cortez. I stayed in La Paz for a few days and also in San Jose del Cabo with a day trip to San Lucas. The only thing I would say about the toilets is that all except the resort I stayed in requested that you not flush toilet paper. So that habit of dropping TP into the toilet will have to be thought through. That having been said, if you accidentally forget, you aren't going to clog the whole system. But do be mindful of it.

I hope you enjoy yourself. I love that at 79 you are traveling! Most people are lovely.

Prentice

William15
Jan 09, 2024 6:03 pm

Hi Tomozo

Following my ileostomy surgery, I took a 6-month sabbatical to go traveling. My first stop was Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where I was scheduled to spend two weeks. I liked Mexico so much that I stayed for the whole six months and enrolled in Spanish school. I traveled back in 2017 for two weeks, when I had a great, relaxing, stress-free, and sociable time.

I don't recall any stoma or bathroom-related problems; however, I was sick after eating pork. Otherwise, I found Mexican cuisine very agreeable.

Have a good trip!

Will

xnine
Jan 09, 2024 8:08 pm

Public washrooms can be hit or miss. Your hotel should be fine. Take extra supplies; they may be hard to find. We are going to Puerto Vallarta soon; we like it a lot. Tell us more about what you are planning and a trip report when you are done.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Jan 09, 2024 10:05 pm
Reply to pr3ntic3

If I'm pooping in a toilet, the toilet paper is going there too. Are they gonna dig it out, do DNA testing, and prove it's mine? 👀😬

Morning glory
Jan 10, 2024 12:54 am

Only been there on my way of cruise. Have fun.

Tomoszo
Jan 10, 2024 2:07 am
Reply to AlexT

No, it's the safest place in Mexico. It's called Merida. I was more worried about being old, the heat, and not speaking Spanish.

AlexT
Jan 10, 2024 4:35 am
Reply to Tomoszo

You're from Tennessee; the heat shouldn't be an issue. If it's a touristy place, most will speak English too. Your age, that's up to you and how you feel. Go enjoy yourself; you only live once.

warrior
Jan 10, 2024 10:36 pm
Reply to Tomoszo

Go... knock yourself out! Make sure you have an emergency contact. That would be my only concern besides your age, the heat, and not speaking Spanish.

I really don't think those last three are an issue. You should be fine.

Wait, Mexico has a safe place? 🤗🤫

rlevineia
Jan 14, 2024 5:53 pm

I gather by your name, you are Hispanic? That is a plus and gets you around. Many areas in Mexico are gang-plagued. Check the US State Dept list. Yucatan is the safest place in Mexico. 79, osteomate and heat sensitive? A travel partner is a good idea. I bring 2 sets of stoma gear. One in carry-on and one checked in. Airlines have lost my luggage before, overseas.

jansarirn
Jan 15, 2024 3:16 am

Hola Tomoszo

I have been traveling to Sayulita for about 15 years. It's around an hour north of Puerto Vallarta. The last two visits I have had my ileostomy. When I fly, I have a “medical bag” that is tagged and kept in the cabin as a carry-on for no extra cost. Airlines are well aware. I don't take twice as much as I need, I take three times. I highly recommend the book Yes We Can! Advice on Traveling With an Ostomy and Tips for Everyday Living by Barbara Kupfer, Kathy Foley-Boch, Michelle Fallon Kasouf (all have had ostomy surgery) and W. Brian Sweeney, MD. I found the information invaluable, well-researched, and documented. Good luck! Que le vaya bien!