Using Stoma Paste: Alone or with Skin Prep?

Replies
Views
Susans53

I need to use stoma paste as the rings don't hold the leaks. Can you use paste alone or do you need to use skin prep wipe on the skin before putting down the paste on the flange? The reason I ask is that I read somewhere that use of skin prep will keep the flange from sticking over time? Is this true?

Thanks

mild_mannered_super_hero

Some folks use the prep and some don't, everyone's skin is different so you just have to experiment to find out what works best for you. The paste and the rings are both made from the same type of material, but the paste works poorly for me. I always use the skin prep, however, I can only use the Coloplast product. I tried the Cavilon product that so many like and the barrier wouldn't stick to it over a day. Your best bet is to call every company and request samples of everything!! They are glad to send them and you can find exactly what combo of things work...and what doesn't. Good luck, have faith, you will master it. Regards, mmsh

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hey Susan, MMSH offered you great advice and it is a good idea to get free samples and experiment.  I suggest you keep notes on who you spoke with at what company and how they handled your request.  I always use a skin prep like Cavilon or Smith & Nephews because, if there is a leak, those preps will protect your skin.  Let us know how you do.

Respectfully,

Mike

CALYPSO

Hello Susan, I really hate paste, it's nasty stuff to put on and just as bad to get off, with no guarantee of success. There's nothing more demoralizing than leaks....tell me about it!

My stoma is very retracted and in a tummy crease, tricky to achieve a good seal, so I surround mine with a rolled-up seal, fill in the crease with a sausage shape, and finally an intact seal, then pouch. The seals are very pliable and can be shaped to any shape that's needed, you don't have to keep them as circles. Always use a skin barrier, if that skin gets broken or inflamed, you're in big trouble.

So I'm proposing, ditch the paste, increase the seals, it's easier and cleaner too.

Rosiesmom

Hi Susan, I use the Coloplast paste. I sometimes prep, I sometimes don't. I feel it conforms well for me. I apply it to the very edge of the circle I have cut to size on the base itself, not my skin. I wait a minute or so, then just slip it over Rosie. If a little oozes forward, I just put a drop of warm water on my finger and smooth it out. I then apply a little Vaseline to the front of my base for easy cleanup. I very, very rarely have a leak, and if I do, it is where I may have removed some paste when cleaning and changing pouches. I replace the base a minimum of twice a week. Pouches as needed during the day. I never just empty my pouch. I always replace and wash the used one if at home. I have never had an odor problem or used odor drops. Hope this helps.

Rosiesmom

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
LadyHope

Hi Susan53, I have an ileostomy and do not use paste. I was told less is best so this is my routine. I change the complete system about every 3 to 4 days (maybe 5 at most); depending upon how my flange/wafer looks. I change the pouch every day because the filter almost always clogs within 24 hours. I also clean up my stoma every morning when I change the pouch. We get a fresh start to each day. When I change the wafer, I clean the skin and stoma with cool water, only water no soap. I use paper towels so I can dispose of them after I use them. From there, I use a little ostomy powder on my skin to the stoma, dust and rub it around the skin area and I then use the skin barrier wipe. I like Cavillon because the material wipe is fairly wet so it covers the area well. I wait until my skin is completely dry (I have a little fan that I use) and secure the wafer. I use a q-tip to rub around the inside of the coupling/the area between the stoma and edge of the wafer where the pouch attaches. It helps secure the wafer even more. Then, I attach the pouch and take 5 - 10 minutes, lie down with my hand over the appliance to warm it to further secure a good seal. I use deodorant drops in my pouch so the odor is neutralized. I like M-9, Na'scent, and Safe and Simple. I have tried other deodorants but they really did not work for me. Some actually made matters worse....yuck. Don't get discouraged...this entire process is trial and error until you find a product and routine that works best for you. Because we are all different, certain products will work great on one person and fail the other. Good luck and know that things will improve, it just takes time. LH

VisnuGD

Paste is good to use under ring to secure any gaps between ring and stoma 🙏👍