adhesive removers

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus

Is it necessary to use remover wipes or will you develop too much adhesive residue? I'm wondering if the remover wipes are creating the sticky mess even though I'm thoroughly washing the area and rinsing after using them. 

warrior

i use the spray adhesive remover .

its effortless. no residue.

then just rinse..warm water..blow dry area. im golden. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,585 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NancyCat

good idea to use the adhesive remover wipes, it should get all of the adhesive from the previous ring and wafer, if u don't get all of the adhesive off from the previous one, the new one might not stick so well to your skin

Beachboy

I use spray to get the wafer tape border lifted up.  Then open a wipe package, pour the excess liquid on the top of my wafer, between the skin and wafer seal.  This separates the wafer main seal.  Then use the wipe, all around the wafer seal, to gently remove it.  Then use a new wipe to gently remove any remaining adhesive residue. 

Hisbiscus

Hello all 

Thanks for the replies. I've always used the wipes. I have bad luck with hollister, convatec and coloplast wipes and spray. They seem ro make thinks even harder to get off I guess due to the short drying time.

I've had some luck and better with smith and nephew unisolve and remove wipes but I was wondering why am I getting sticky stuff coming out of my stoma bag? I'm still trying to figure this dilemma out. 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

I have no idea how using remover spray makes things harder to get off. Maybe you’re using too much? 🤷‍♂️ I use about 3 tiny squirts on the top and each side, then it basically just comes right off with gravity. I have hardly any residue left after that. I use 2 remover wipes to wipe around stoma and get that tiny amount left off. Usually what’s left is stuck to stomach hairs but comes right off with the wipes. Then, I shower, soap the area well and rinse, apply some Head/Shoulders, let it sit  for a few seconds and rinse well again. 

Bryce
Reply to Hisbiscus

Hi - Some of the flange adhesive and / or the wafer can dissolve / break away and pass into the bag by going around the stoma. This is more common in Urostomies but not not unheard of in Ileao / Colo as well. A little bit should be okay but if there is a lot of stickiness in the bag make sure the aperture fits around the stoma as close as comfortable. For the body residue issue: when you shower GENTLY rub the area around the stoma with a loofah as this will remove any excess and exfoliate the area as well. Best

Hisbiscus
Reply to Bryce

Thank you for that info. I'm wondering if since I lost weight I may need to downsize my precut pouch to the next size down. This sticky problem has been an issue for 2 years  now. Before that I was fine. It's making my life miserable and complicated as to how i have to do things.  I'm afraid to shower without the pouch anymore due to this sticky syuff all over my shower and shower floor and feet. It is not easy to remove from the shower, your feet, hands etc... 

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

What wipes do you use?

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

Of course. It helps pull the flange off easily but it seems to make a stickier mess around the stoma once it's off. It seems the only ones that gets off the build up is smith  and nephew. But not sure I'm getting 100 % off. I'm always feeling sticky coming from.somewhere inside the pouch when I empty and rinse. So a person mentioned somethkng may be breaking down the adhesive in my pouch and im.wondering If the wipes are not fully getting it off or maybe leaving a residue thats breaking it down. Some medical professionals suggest water only but I feel like it might make the build up worse? 

warrior
Reply to AlexT

3 Tiny squirts?

I wish. half a can for me.

Those elastic brava " c" strips are tough removing.

Almost gotta soak them. but yea it does fall off effortlessly.No residue but wash warm water afterwards works for me.

That spray will remove bumper stickers...True fact. 

Re: the sticky substance??

I have seen stories on here  where the barrier ring breaks down causing this. 

or could just be mucus- spider web like sticky you see?  Whatever is left on yur skin is not like mine.

The sprays takes everything off..

if something is left, would think manufacturer defect ring or plate coming apart. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to warrior

I do use a hollister cera ring. The stickiness defiantly coming from inside thd pouch. I can't empty without gloves. I have adhesive allergies and the only 2 rings I've been able to tolerate are the adapt regular and the cera ring but I wish I could figure this out. The sticky and the stinky garments.

AlexT
Reply to Hisbiscus

Adapt. 

AlexT
Reply to warrior

1 can lasts me probably 6+ months and a 50 count box of wipes lasts me roughly 3 months cause I use 2 each time I change my bag. 

Bryce
Reply to Hisbiscus

Hi - You are right about moving down one size on the pre-cut if there has been a weight loss. Same thing happened to me - no problem for a few years, dropped some weight and not only had more stickiness but more leakers as well. New size solved the issue. For the shower floor I use a rubber safety mat ($7.00) and change it out as needed, usually every 3 months. For the excess adhesive I use the below product from Dove For Men ($8.00). Double-sided it does an effective and gentle cleaning job. While the product link is for men I think ladies could use it as well. I use three treatments in the shower for the stoma area: 1) Initial wash with Ivory Bar Soap; 2) Wash with PEARS soap; 3) Scrub with Ivory Soap. Hope this helps, Best PS: Message wouldn't take the link for Dove Scrubber but you can Google it.

Hisbiscus
Reply to Bryce

So, I called my supply Company and traded my boxes for the next Size down so I'm seeing if this does not alleviate some of my issues. I can say this though. I am ballooning like crazy which is telling me that the larger hole was most likely leaking gas as I don't use or like filters. I'm not smelling myself so maybe, just maybe this is why my garments were smelling so badly.

The adhesive is a huge issue when it  builds up. Right now I'm  using Smith and nephew remove and sometimes unisolve as it's the only one that seems to halfway get it off. I could not figure out which dove you were buying in the men's line for the scrub although I do use ivory and sometimes dial white. Afraid to even shower with this thing off or we will all have sticky feet in.the house.  Not fun.

I also thought about buying convatec stomahesive 4x4 skin barriers and cutting my own rings out of that as maybe iis these damn cera rings that are melting. 

Happy-but-Newbie
Reply to Hisbiscus

Ciao! Urostomy here with a plain/retracted stoma.

Stoma nurse suggested cera rings and I used it only once...they do melt!

I prefer to go without....if CERA was good for you because of adhesive allergy issues, they also make flanges with Ceramide, no need to add ring "only" for that...

I much prefer without

Bryce

Hi H,

Tried the Smith & Nephew but almost hit the ceiling because of the sting - didn't realize I had a small patch of open skin. My best efforts have come from Coloplast Adhesive Remover both spray and wipes. For tough 'stickies' I spray first, count backwards from 30 to 0 seconds, then hit them with the wipes. The other removal trick for me is hot water, either shower or wash cloth, the hotter the better. The rubber bath mats are available from Walmart / Target / Amazon for about $8.00 and I remove the mat and hang it to dry after every shower. No muss, no fuss, no residue and you can swap them out every couple of months. The message wouldn't take an image of the "scrubber" but here is a description to cut / paste to Google.

Good Luck.....Best

PS: I count backwards because that is the way the Astronauts do it - sort of a Walter Mitty type thing :)

Hisbiscus
Reply to Happy-but-Newbie

Yep, you can see them melting. They do work though but if they are causing all of this I'd rather do something else. At one time I was getting 4x4 skin barriers convatec stomahesive and cutting my own rings. Stoma nurse suggested it a few years back for some other reason but I'm.wondering I should try this again  to see.  

Hisbiscus
Reply to Bryce

Haha, yes the Smith and nephew can be a bit harsh. I've been using them.for so long that I think my skin toughened up to them. I can definatly relate if you have any broken skin. I don't like the smell of them but they do get the stuff mostly off. 

I started this thread thinking , could there still be residue of adhesive remover breaking down my barrier to melt. I do rinse it off quite well and soap and rinse. If I use brava, estenta or any other  spray or wipes it seems to make things even worse. It may be the short drying times. I miss convatecs old version of wipes. 

I read somewhere that hot or warm water alone will remove it but I'd be so afraid of more build up so that is another reason I started this thread. I wanted to get opinions and to see what others are doing. 

At any rate I'm.glad I've gotten a lot of feed back because maybe it's just me and everyone skin is  different. It seems others are not having issues with the brava anyhow. 

I was able to find the dove scrubber.