colostomy

Replies
Views
I love the lord

I have had a colostomy bag since august and I keep getting sore skin because it leaks I do not know what to do

Kas

I got my colostomy in August as well.  I was having regular leaks a couple times a week for a while & I was using Hollister 2 piece and wax rings.  I was finally taught that after a while and your stoma shrinks you have to change your appliance size and I did.  I’m also still using the Hollister 2 piece system but Coloplast brava wax rings and no leaks since the change!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,630 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Nini4

I had to switch from Coloplast one piece they would not stick, to Hollister 2 piece.  I also used the barrier extenders for awhile. The rings also help.   

Beachboy

Hello.  I have a colostomy too.  I use Hollister 2 piece system with moldable barrier ring.

Skin around stoma must be clean and dry.  Don't use soap with lotions, fragrances, or color.  I use Cetaphil bar soap.

Cutting the wafer hole to fit as close as possible to your stoma takes too long and can lead to complications.  Your stoma will grow and shrink during the day.  So stoma might rub against the edge of the wafer hole.  I cut a large hole in the wafer.  Use 3M Cavilon barrier spray.  Let dry.  Cut a 2 inch diameter moldable barrier ring through one side.  Wearing gloves, gently, carefully squeeze and stretch the the ring out.  Will take a few times before you get proficient at it.  Starting at stoma bottom and at center of stretched ring,  place ring right next to stoma base where stoma and skin meet.  Gently push ring into skin with fingers, ring will stick.  Work up and around to stoma top.  Then place wafer on your stomach to warm it up.  Take off plastic and place over stoma.  Remove tape protector strips, stick to skin.  Place hands on wafer and press against skin for a minute.  Move hands, repeat.  Snap on bag. 

Looking on this web site are other detailed instructions.  Good luck

AlexT

If you’re getting leaks, you need to change something. You’ll need to be more specific on what exactly you use. 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
aTraveler

Leaks are certainly fixable but they take a bit of trial and error. It matters whether your stoma protrudes above the skin or is recessed. Whether your stool is liquid or semi-solid. The length of time you are wearing the appliance before changing it. What appliance and/or accessories you use. Whether you have a wafer adherrence problem. Finally what have you tried. Providing this information helps in seeking advice.

Mysterious Mose

Do you have dips or depressions around your stoma, or is everything flat? Are you using a flat barrier or a convex one? If you have any depressions around your stoma and are trying to manage with a flat barrier, I would try convex before messing with rings and the like. It's the simplest solution and you know what Occam said. :-)

Also, are you making sure your peristomal skin is completely dry before application and are you warming the adhesive before application or during/after application? You cannot get a good seal without good adhesion. I warm mine with a hair dryer before it goes on. I also make sure I run my gloved fingers all around the stoma edge a few times. That is the starting point for leaks after all. Avoiding extended time on your back is recommended, but I am not sure how important that is for a colostomate.

Daniel

choc2206

Hi, I had a colostomy in December, had so many leaks and red raw skin, tried bridges etc, it came down to the bags I was using, I use calamine lotion and salts bags now, hell of a difference, the lotion drys chalky and salts are the best bags on the market for me, hope this helps 👍