4 inch barrier rings

Replies
Views
mintontelecom

I'm not sure what company sent it but I have a couple of samples of 4-in barrier rings. They look like they were covered the whole wafer. Is anyone ever use these? I have terrible leakage problems and was wondering if this might be a solution. I would appreciate an answer, as I am really struggling to find something that works. TIA 

Bill

Hello mintontelecom.
Finding solutions to stoma problems is often a matter of trial and error. We are all different and need different solutions, which is probably why there is so much choice in terms of devices etc. 
Might I suggest that if you have some samples, then it probably won't hurt to try them. If they don't work, then you will not have lost much and you can give us all feedback on your experiences.
Almost all manufacturers will be happy to supply you with free samples of their products and it will probably be worthwhile to try them all before deciding which ones are best for you.  

There was a time when I had tried almost everything and still had problems with wafer adhesion. My solution was to make my own baseplates and stick them to my skin with Probond prosthetic adhesive and the wafers to my baseplates rather than to my skin. This has worked well for me over many years and the 'bags & sleeves' last for months. 
Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

You should try them out and see for yourself.  You won't  know otherwise. Everyone  is different on their choice of products.  Good luck; I  know you have been having an ordeal with your leaking. 

AlexT

I tried samples before. I cut a hole in them that fit my stoma so I didn’t need to stretch anything. No issues. 

w30bob

Hi Mt,

So why don't we try to figure out why you're having leaks in the first place.  What's going on?

;O)

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Oscar23

I use a 2 piece convatec with a wafer and ileostomy bag no hernia. What helps stick the wafer to my skin after cleaning is 3m cavilon no sting barrier film spray. I change every 3 days. 

Downtown

I use the barrier rings quite a bit, usually near the end of my wafer's "cycle."  I change about every 5 to 6 days, and for me, the rings are more of a confidence thing... in case of a leak.

AlexT
Reply to Downtown

I’m confused. How do you use a barrier ring near the end of your wafer’s cycle? Don’t you have to apply it when you put a new wafer on? 🤷‍♂️

Bmokind

I just started using these as I was having a lot of leaks.  I have a large hernia and my stoma has a "divet" on one side. My stoma nurse doubled it over in one spot and put that doubled up space over my divet.  So far so good.  At least I've lasted 2+ days w/o having to change it, even after doing g one myself. Just keep trying different things or go see your stoma nurse. 😉 Best of luck.