Post Colostomy Reversal Day 4

Replies
Views
MoeMoe

It’s been 4 days since I left the hospital after colostomy reversal. In Ice Cube’s words “Today Was a Good Day.” I thank God for today! I almost, almost gave in to oxy. I cut it in half and was ready to take it at 2 am because I was in pain. I decided to sleep off the pain and if I needed it when I woke up, I would take it. Negative! I put it back in the container and have not used anything for pain since 8 pm yesterday. However, I am taking a 500 mg Extra Strength Tylenol before I go to bed so I can get some sleep. Air is still present in my abdomen. I’m still passing gas but not like yesterday, I think it’s finally dwindling down. I can’t feel it traveling through my belly like a flipped over coke bottle and the noises from my belly are not as strong or as painful. I did have a BM this morning that was not as watery as the other days so I think normal is coming soon, still a bit bloody though. Sorry if that’s too graphic for those who are sensitive. I do still have pain though but that too is dwindling down. I have some pain in my abdomen when sitting up from a lying position, I have some pain in the rectum area and the outside of the stitches sting a bit at the stoma site as well as the 3 inch incision by where my belly button used to be. Although, when I wear the binder, the abdominal pain level drops way down. I ate more today than any other day this week and am still on a low fiber diet. I felt good all day, I didn’t wear the adult diaper so I was heading to the bathroom a bit more than yesterday but again not like I had a stomach bug or anything, mostly to pass gas because I didn’t want to have an “accident.” My discharge instructions say not to sit on the toilet more than 2-3 minutes at a time so because of that, I just keep going instead of sitting there. I do experience shoulder pain every now and then but the pain comes/goes and is not strong enough for me to take more pills to alleviate that. My doc said it was post op nerve pain and gave me more pills which, like the oxy, I refuse to take. I can’t sleep fully on my sides yet…. Maybe 3/4 on my right side and 1/4 on my left side (stoma side) because it is somewhat painful. Attempting to sleep/lay on my sides does move the air around so I do it a bit so the air can move and eventually exit my body. I’m getting close to my one week mark, yay!! Keep ya’ll posted! Have a good night! 

Bill

Hello MoeMoe.
Thank you for such a detailed and graphic account as it makes for a good read that I can envisage without too much extra effort on my part.
There won't be many on this site who won't be appreciative of people sharing as much detail as they like, knowing that expressing themselves in this way may be helping them to cope with those things that 'normal' people wouldn't have a clue about.
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,505 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MoeMoe
Reply to Bill

Thanks Bill! You know, now that you mention it, in a sort of odd and unexpected way, it does make me feel better. I never thought about it like that but yea for sure it’s a coping thing for me too I think 😊 

Beachboy

Good to hear you're slowly getting better.

All the details you provide are meaningful to your fellow Ostemates.  The good, the bad  and ugly.  

Take care

Morning glory

You're  getting better and better.  Hang in there.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

G-Day MoeMoe, It won't be long before your entering the Hurdle Races and Long Jump. I'm so happy it's all well apart from the pain, but that's to be accepted after what you have had done. Don't forget to put all this into a Journal that you could give out to people heading for the same operation. Good on you MoeMoe. Regards IGGIE xx  

Caz67

Congratulations on staying off the hard stuff and I hope you continue with good progress xx

MoeMoe
Reply to IGGIE

Oh that’s a great idea Iggie, I hadn’t thought of putting it on paper! Yea I’ll do that, thanks!!