Sore stoma

Replies
Views
kittybou

My stoma hurts!

Output is good, no screaming runs, skin around the stoma looks good, got prescribed a steroid cream. Had a colostomy. Dr. wants me to put the steroid cream on the stoma 

2 x a day. I use a 1 piece pouch. What in the round world could be making it hurt?  Walking my 60 lb puppy? He does pull. This started last week. 

Haven't eaten any spicy food.  I don't drink the tap water here, but I have been using the tap water to rinse the bag.  Dr. Didn't know either.  Why is my stoma hurting???

TerryLT

That is a bit of a head scratcher.  The stoma itself doesn't have any nerve endings, so the pain is coming from somewhere else.  Is it possible you are cutting your wafer too small and 'strangling' your stoma?  Does your stoma look healthy?  I'm not sure that putting steroid cream directly on a stoma is a good idea and I'd think about getting a second opinion.  Do you have an ostomy nurse?  They are very often more experienced than the doctors.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I haven't  a clue. Contact your Stoma nurse. Is the Dr. that said put steroid cream your surgeon? I wouldn't  put it on your stoma. Get another opinion.

kittybou
Reply to TerryLT

You are a stoma angel!!! 

I went to my stash, got out a bag with no convex to it and a huge hole. Noooo pain. Taaa daaaaaa! 

Back to happy happy!!!!! 

Thank you! 😀

FYI, no stoma nurses out here, the surgeon who did the surgery just left the hospital where my surgery was done.  

AlexT
Reply to kittybou

When I tried a convex wafer/bag, I literally had a bruise around my stoma and it would get really sore. Went back to a flat wafer/bag, never an issue since. 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
kittybou
Reply to AlexT

The convex ring did that to me. Scared me to death. Wonder why the rep I spoke with didn't know to tell me to change to a flat one?

AlexT
Reply to kittybou

99.9% of most reps, doctors, nurses that deal with anything ostomy do not actually have one. So little tips,tricks,info like that doesn’t even cross their mind. I’ve learned alot more about stomas from YouTube videos from people that have them and on here than from any medical professional. Sure, I learned the basics from them but all the little stuff that makes having one easier came from nobody that is in the ostomy business. 

TerryLT
Reply to kittybou

Oh, I am so glad this worked out for you!  Yes, convex flanges aren't for everyone.

Terry

Beachboy

I had troubles when I used to cut the wafer hole close to stoma size.  Stinging, irritated peristomal skin, and just plain uncomfortable.

Then I discovered... moldable barrier rings.  Now I cut a large hole in the wafer.  Then mold a ring around my stoma.  Easy peasy.

No more stinging or irritation.  And no leaks.

I prefer Coloplast Brava rings.  They stretch without tearing.

kittybou
Reply to Beachboy

For a not convex bags?

TerryLT
Reply to kittybou

Yes, you can use the barrier rings with any kind of flange.  It allows you to cut the hole bigger without risking skin irritation from your output to your peristomal skin.  The barrier creates a seal around the base of your stoma.  I use the Salts brand and they are my favourite, thinner than most others.  It creates such a good seal that it gives me extra days between changes.

Terry

kittybou
Reply to TerryLT

😸😻thank you!!!

Kimmy050263

I have times that my stoma hurts!    I am still a newbie, only 3 months in, so not sure I have a suggestion, just that I can relate!  Changed the bag today and she was looking really red and inflamed!

kittybou
Reply to Kimmy050263

I had to switch from convex to a flat bag. No more pain, and my stoma looks good. Leaks tho, lol, always something going on. 

Kimmy050263
Reply to kittybou

Do you use the wafers before you adhere the bag?  I had leaks in the beginning, but we are doing better.  Also, the silicone barrier rings are very helpful.  

kittybou
Reply to Kimmy050263

Thank you Ms. Kimmy ! 

I will see what the new company sends!