pain in my rectal stump

Replies
Views
rdtmto

I also have pain in my rectal stump. Lots of sticky, smelly discharge. I can't use the suppositories. I use a small enema every other day. It does get rid of the stuck mucous but I also experience pain and muscle spasms after I use the enema for several days. I talked to my surgeon and he's not worried. He doesn't seem to understand the pain I have. I was thinking of having my stump surgically removed. It sounds like you can't sit for several months but it would eventually fade and get better. I am so sick of the enemas. My husband has to do it since I can't move my neck after falling on a concrete floor and breaking my shoulder and neck. He also changes my ostomy bag every four days. It all makes me feel like I am not a person anymore. Just a body of pain. 

Hisbiscus

I would see about getting that thing removed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,615 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

G-Day RD,  When I got my Butt stitched up I was very luck and got no pain down there at all. You have to get it done and see the end to all that Mucus and pain. Regards IGGIE

eefyjig

It sounds like you have cuffitis, inflammation of the rectal stump. I had mine removed, along with a permanent ostomy, and have been happier than I ever was with my j-pouch and stump. I was able to sit comfortable after about two months and kind of "faked it" before then, leaning to one side.  I, too, got sick of the enemas, among other things. Speak to your surgeon frankly about your pain. 

Morning glory

Agree with having your rectal stump removed. You don't  want to mess with all the enemas and pain.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister