Relocating to Spain from the UK

Replies
Views
JodieG

Hi, I had surgery 5 weeks ago amd trying to come to terms with my stoma. My output is high which I'm trying to resolve with the doctors. I nad open surgery and a number of complications and ended up in intensive care for 3 weeks. 

My weight is dropping since I'm not retaining nutrients and again we are trying to resolve that.

I was due to relocate to Spain with my family for work, the day I was rushed in to hospital.  We have to go as qe boughy a house and have our visa's etc, however I'm going to stay in the UK for 8 weeks alone for my recovery.

Does anyone know I register with a stoma nurse in Spain and arrange for my supplies etc once I am there? 

Thanks

Jodie

truleigh

Hi Jodie.

I live in Spain in the Alicante area. I am a resident for ten years and a pensioner so have Spanish government healthcare. I had surgery for a bowel blockage in January and I am on preventative chemo. If you come to Spain I expect you will have to have private healthcare as part of your visa. I received excellent care and see a stoma nurse . My local hospital sends me to the local private hospital for Pet scans and that also is excellent. 

I get my supplies on prescription from my farmacia every two weeks and pay a nominal amount. I am sure once you arrive in Spain and register with a doctor you will find out how to get yours. I am not sure how the private healthcare insurance system works but where In live we have various Ex-pat centres who can advise on all aspects of living in Spain. 

I hope you are feeling better soon. On the subject of high output I enjoy a night out at one of the many Chinese restaurants here as noodles work wonders!.

Hang in there it takes a while to recover. Hope you feel well enough to come here soon.

regards Pam

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,615 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

JodieG
Reply to truleigh

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much for your reply this is so helpful and I'm grateful forthe advice.

We have a house in Javea, how far are you from there? 

I do habe provate healthcare as part of my visa,  so as soon as I get to Spain I will register with a doctor and hopefully they will then put me in touch with the stoma nurse etc. I know I would have to pay a nominal amout towards my prescriptions, I am just worried how easy and quick it is to get them.

My stoma nurse in the UK has already got me on Coloplast products as she said that's what Spain use. 

Do you have frequent blood tests to check all of your levels etc at the hospital?  I have to have mine fortnightly at the moment due to the high output and get topped up with IV fluids and some vitamins. I was wondering if they do the same for you in Spain.

Take care and thank you again.

Jodoe

lesnyu

Hi from Ubrique, Sunny Spain.

My partner had the same experience as you, expert thankfully we are residents in Spain, Andalucia. We came before Brexit,so healthcare is covered. We initially lived in Jerez but moved to the mountains for more outdoor space and to get away from the maddening crowds during festivals and the  tourists. 

My partner is recovering slowly and is accepting the ups and downs, that living with a stoma brings. We are both in our mid 70's and I retired from my work as a carer abroad to support her while she recovers. The surgery kept her bedbound and due to other health issues very week and mal nourished.

As well as terminal cancer, the side effects to the drugs are debilitating. The Oncologist has prescribed a nutrition drink Fresubin which has all the nutrients to replace what is lacking in your diet. 

I can tell you as I have been with her constantly throughout her difficult recovery, unable to walk, low energy and motivation,  that it will take time. The body will reconnect with what it needs to do, and slowly you will begin to gain the independence you once had. Small steps, small miracles each day! Don't give up, you will pull through. 

If you ever need a place to stay to recoup, we have a small apartment you can have. We live in such a beautiful part of southern Spain and the vistas of the mountains are healing in itself.

We go back and forth to our appointments to Jerez which is just over an hour and our stoma nurse, doctors have been wonderful. We have been most fortunate to have had such excellent care from all the health care professionals and our local health centre. We have had numerous misfortunes with the ileostomy leaking but she has a new system now, and it is working. 

Also, living in a small town, we get appointments quicker and our pharmacy has been great. The ostomy bags and wafers are free, we pay for the accessories, barrier spray and strips. Sometimes we get freebies from our nurse.

You will gradually adjust to life, it's not easy. For months we were sleep deprived and consumed with everything related to the ileostomy. It's always going to be our first priority but it gets easier, thanks to this group and all the helpful comments.

Onwards and upwards!💃

truleigh
Reply to JodieG

Hi Jodie

I live near Torrevieja. The hospital prescribed Hollister products. I use Cera Plus and the wax ring which work really well with no leaks. i think Javea is also in the Alicante Province in the  Valencia region . The first prescription I went to collect was not in stock but the farmacia got it for me later the same day. This also happened the second time but I complained  as at the time I was not well following surgery and it was difficult having to go twice every time and now they always have it ready in stock. I have not heard of any other stoma products but it will depend on your doctor. I expect there are other options than Hollister. I get frequent blood tests but I do not have a problem with high out out although since having the chemo it seems to have increased. 

Hopefully your output problems will be resolved before you come to Spain. It takes time but living with a stoma becomes easier and you can experiment with different foods to see what effect they have. Mostly I now eat same as before I had it. 

Hope you can come to Spain soon the sunshine will be good for you. 

Pam

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister