Bag Filling Up Fast at Night and Leaking

Replies
Views
Maddie2jackie
Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

I'm in this group for a friend and I hope that's okay with everyone. He's my ex and I've been his support system since his surgery, so I've seen what he's been going through.
He's desperate. He's had a stoma bag now for about 6 months. He's had to set his alarm every 2 hours at night to empty it. He can't seem to find answers as to why the bag is filling up faster at night. He's tried everything his stoma nurse has suggested: eating different foods, eating dinner earlier, and it's not working. He's exhausted. He just wants answers.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

Hisbiscus
Apr 27, 2024 7:01 pm

I've experienced this before but only leaked with it filling up like that a couple of times. I came to the conclusion that we are more relaxed and that's maybe why it fills up more? Not positive, but it was the only thing I could think of.

He may need to get into a different pouch that won't leak because I still fill up a whole lot of times at night but I'm not leaking. Does he use a barrier ring? Is he ballooning at night, which means does his bag blow up like a balloon with air? If so, it could be gas, and gas can push on the pouch barrier and lift it and sometimes even push it off. If it's gas, they sell pills for gas. Or is it just all output that fills the bag? I used to have to get up to empty too, and it's a pain. Also, is it liquid output or more pasty?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,866 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB
Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

Can he get a bigger capacity bag for sleeping so as not to have to get up so often? Sorry to hear of his troubles! Thank you for seeking answers to help him.

TerryLT
Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm

Hi Maddie, First of all, your friend (ex) is lucky to have you as his support system. You don't say whether he has a colostomy or an ileostomy, but if it's an ileostomy, his output is more likely to be loose or liquidy and will fill up his pouch faster. He could try eating more things that will thicken output, especially later in the day, potatoes, peanut butter, marshmallows, bananas as examples. My ileostomy is very active at night as well and I do need to empty at least a couple of times, so I empathize. The suggestion of getting him a high volume pouch is a good one, and it might be his best option. Again, if he does have an ileostomy, he is still pretty early days at six months, and it's quite common for output to thicken up naturally as time goes on, so this hopefully will just be a temporary situation for him.

Terry

Mysterious Mose
Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm

Given what you have said, I am assuming he has an ileostomy. Is he able to take loperamide (Imodium)? I take 2 mg 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. I usually have to empty my bag at least once during the night, but that is because I will snack at night unless the next morning is bag change day. Output is a lot lighter too, as the slower journey gives the small bowel a chance to absorb more liquid.

And as Terry suggested, a number of foods will serve as natural thickeners, especially tubers and bananas. Riced cauliflower is another.

Daniel

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Maddie2jackie
Apr 28, 2024 11:58 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

Hi. It's mainly liquid. But a lot of times it fills up with gas. He is beside himself. It's draining on him emotionally and mentally as well.
He was told to take Metamucil and bananas to firm up the waste.

Maddie2jackie
Apr 28, 2024 11:59 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Oh goodness, I don't know. What is the difference, please?

Maddie2jackie
Apr 29, 2024 12:00 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I'll give him the name of that product. Thank you.

Maddie2jackie
Apr 29, 2024 12:09 am
Reply to DexieB

Aww, that's okay. I feel all you guys are troopers! Are there nighttime bags? He goes to bed feeling very anxious. If there are nighttime bags, why hasn't his nurse suggested them to him? Do they attach to the leg? Well, he did mention bigger bags, but he rolls around in his sleep and he's worried it'll burst or the adhesive will come loose from the stoma. I'm still learning.

Maddie2jackie
Apr 29, 2024 12:15 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

The output isn't pasty as it should be. It's fluid. It fills up with watery fluid at night.
As part of the operation, he had to have his anus stitched up, and it got infected, leading to another trip to the hospital due to a blockage. 😢😢 It's been a long, hard journey for him.

Maddie2jackie
Apr 29, 2024 12:39 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yes, I just asked him. It's an ileostomy bag, and he takes Imodium.

Knox
Apr 29, 2024 2:31 am

Hi Maddie, I just wanted to let you know some of the things I do to help with my issues with watery high output. I have found pretzels, especially the ones stuffed with peanut butter, are amazing at thickening things up. Rice crispy treats help also. I have issues with dehydration and getting nutrients in because of my high output, so I snack quite a bit during the day. I also drink a mixture for re-hydration which I mix up myself. It is water, salt, sugar, and I flavor it with a flavor packet. I found out that caffeinated drinks (soda especially) make my bag fill with a lot of gas and liquid, so I try to avoid them. I eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day, and I try not to drink a lot of liquids late into the evening. Tell your friend to hang in there, I had a horrible first year with my bag, he will figure out what works for him. It's all trial and error (unfortunately a lot of error).

Take care,
Sharon

DexieB
Apr 29, 2024 2:03 pm
Reply to Maddie2jackie

Hey... I had a colostomy, but my wound nurse ordered me high-capacity bags when I needed them for my bowel prep/in case I got sick. I understand ileostomies have more output, whereas my colostomy bag only filled up once or twice a day. Not sure what is available as far as bags for ileostomies, you could certainly ask the nurse, but it is possible that he may just have to get up during the night/take medication and foods that will slow his output. Hopefully, he's using a good barrier ring - that should really help with leaks (Hollister is the one I used, but there are others). At bag change, I made sure to hold my hands over the ring after it was applied for a few minutes to make sure it was a good seal - my daughter would always remind me: Warm hands, mom!

It is a lot to learn, but you guys will get there through trial and error. He is lucky to have you supporting him :)

Mysterious Mose
Apr 29, 2024 5:31 pm
Reply to Maddie2jackie

The thing is, things change. When I was at your husband's stage, I was 3 months out of the hospital and off TPN for less than 2 months. It took a while for my body to adapt to life without a colon. But, it did. If this is his only problem and he is not having issues with leaks and such, I would hazard to say he is in an okay place. If he is your age, he probably has not reached the up 2-3 times a night to pee stage. So, this is probably harder on him than us old coots. I still maintain that things are likely to change. I could be wrong, but I think he should give it time and also look at his diet. But, the reality is that he has an ileostomy and it sounds permanent. The thing with us ileostomates is that things go through us on an express trip. Even if we fast 12 hours a day, we are still susceptible to wind and that will fill the bag at night. At some point, there may not be a lot of output to deal with, but that old demon wind is still there. And it is not something we can control.

I apologize if I got off into the weeds here. But, your ex needs time to internalize things. This is a huge hit to one's lifestyle and it takes time to adapt. Are there any ostomy support groups in your area? If so, I suggest that he attend their meetings. The one in my area has been a tremendous boost.

Daniel

Hisbiscus
May 01, 2024 2:30 am
Reply to Maddie2jackie

I had my bum stitched too. I'm so sorry he's going through this.

I ran across this product while looking at new innovations today. Link below. Maybe this could at least contain the leak? Yes, that watery output really does a number on the bags. Does he use an Eakin ring? That may help too. That overnight bag as well. I know Coloplast makes an extra-large high output bag, but he's still going to need to contain a leak around the wafer with a barrier ring and possibly this product I posted this link below.

https://confiplus.com/

Here is the high output bag I've seen in person. They are very big and long.

w30bob
May 03, 2024 8:34 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Hi Hi,

I think what you're showing is a urostomy bag, which isn't really suitable unless your output is pure liquid. Otherwise, anything solid would clog the opening and it would be hard to empty without removing the bag and dumping it. Not a problem if used just for overnight and then taken off when getting up. I looked for a bigger bag some time ago for the same reason... night time output. There was one of the big three that had a bigger bag, but I don't remember which company it was now. If I remember correctly, it wasn't advertised as a bigger bag, it was their standard bag, but when I got samples I was surprised how much larger it was than my Hollister bag. I'll look around and if I still have any, I'll post it.

;O)

Mysterious Mose
May 03, 2024 5:46 pm

This is a reply to see if going over 15 replies will allow the first 14 to be seen. All I can see on Chrome is Bob's reply, which appears to be the 15th. I sure am getting tired of this buggy interface...

Mysterious Mose
May 03, 2024 5:46 pm

Well, what do you know. That worked.

Mysterious Mose
May 03, 2024 5:55 pm
Reply to w30bob

When I was in rehab and weak as a kitten, the less-than-competent staff had to change my bag. One day, they showed up with a urostomy bag. I tried to tell the "nurse" that it was not a good idea with my ileostomy, even with me on TPN. Of course, she considered herself a medical professional and therefore knew better than I. Until it came down to having to empty it. Even when she was struggling to squeeze shit out, she would not admit her mistake. It wasn't until the next shift that I had someone a bit more competent change to a proper bag. It is fitting that the place no longer exists.

Daniel

Hisbiscus
May 04, 2024 11:44 pm
Reply to w30bob

I actually wore one once. It can be used for poop. You just squeeze it out. Most manufacturers sell them and advertise for ileostomies and even colostomy with high output and liquid poop.

w30bob
May 05, 2024 1:32 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hi MM,

That's funny... now. I remember when I was in the hospital getting my ostomy... and pretty much every other time... all the screwed-up things the staff did. Most of it was unbeknownst to the patients, who were either sleeping or drugged up. It's why I slept with one eye open all the time. No wonder everyone is so worried about lawsuits... because they sure do screw up a lot. Your instance was pretty benign, but I saw quite a few medication mix-ups, etc. I sure appreciate all the staff in hospitals do, but it's what you don't know about them doing that can kill ya!

;O)

Mysterious Mose
May 05, 2024 3:50 pm
Reply to w30bob

I had a few problems with my hospital stay. Outside of a couple of Nurse Ratchets, they were wonderful and quite competent. Of course, the fact they helped save my life does color my opinion a bit. :-) It was rehab where I ran into the less-than-competent part. Not surprising, I guess, considering the low pay of those places. They don't always attract the best people.

w30bob
May 06, 2024 4:38 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hi MM,

Agreed! It is a thankless job for sure, and I couldn't do it. The way many patients treated the nursing staff was appalling, and quite stupid considering they're relying on these folks for their care. It's just like sending food back in a restaurant. Having worked in one, I can tell you with certainty you never want to send food back. No matter how bad it is, just stick it in a doggie bag and don't go back to that restaurant. Even let the wait staff know it wasn't good as you pay or leave, but don't piss off the cook. If people knew what they did with food sent back, they'd probably never eat out again. But smart folks know not to look the gift horse in the mouth or he'll spit on you (or your food in this case). The other thing is when we're in the hospital as patients, we're always thinking the worst, so we sometimes obsess over the details, all of which are typically not critical, just critical in our minds... so I can see why some errors in the hospital occur continuously and don't upset the staff much. Dealing with cranky, ignorant, and impolite people all day every day takes its toll on anyone working in that field... so we do need to be more understanding at times. It's definitely a push-pull relationship. At the end of the day, I'm just glad there are people willing to deal with those jobs... and keep my expectations low. This way I'm rarely upset and sometimes pleasantly surprised. And yes, there is something to be said for coming out of those places better than you went in... we should always be grateful for that!

;O)