Hollister Adhesive Remover Wipes 7760 Drying Out Too Quickly?

Replies
Views
kittybou
May 02, 2024 10:53 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with the adhesive wipes drying out before you're done using them?

It took me 6 of them for the change today, used to just take 2, maybe 3.

w30bob
May 03, 2024 1:30 am

Hi K,

It does evaporate very quickly. When I open the package, I make sure it's vertical. This way, the extra remover liquid stays in the pouch. Then, when the wipe dries up, I pour some more liquid on it from the pouch. I usually only need one, but sometimes it takes two to get all my tape off. It would be nice if it was a bigger pad, but it really does need to evaporate quickly... because you know how some folks are...

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,864 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kittybou
May 03, 2024 2:01 am
Reply to w30bob

Thanks! πŸ±πŸ•

Beachboy
May 03, 2024 5:42 am

I use remover spray to get the wafer fabric tape loose. Then open a 7760 wipe, turn it upside down at the top of the wafer seal area and let the liquid flow down between my skin and wafer seal. Wafer peels easily back. Then I remove the fabric wipe from its plastic package and use it to gently separate the wafer from my skin by gently pushing it into the seal area. Easy peasy. I usually get wafer removal accomplished with 3 quick remover sprays, and 1 wipe.

After showering, I check the skin around my stoma for leftover adhesive residue. Using a finger, I lightly press down on the peristomal skin, then lift the finger off. I can feel if the area is sticky. I use another remover wipe in areas with residue. Like w30bob, I keep the wipe package upright. When the fabric wipe is dry, I pour the package on it. This way I can use the wipe twice.

kittybou
May 03, 2024 10:09 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks πŸ˜ΈπŸ•

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hisbiscus
May 03, 2024 10:53 am

I learned from a Convatec rep that some of the adhesive remover wipes are made to have less drying time. I prefer a longer drying time. I feel I can't get all the adhesive off when they dry too fast like that. I have been using Smith and Nephew Resolve and Unisolve for 3 years or so now. I feel they do a great job, but they do contain alcohol and they do have a fragrance.

Mysterious Mose
May 03, 2024 5:59 pm

I use the individually wrapped wipes for this very reason. They are less environmentally friendly, but less expensive in the long run. I tend to stay away from any stuff that has those stupid flaps that stop working as soon as they get damp.

Daniel

Hisbiscus
May 03, 2024 7:34 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I don't like the overspray in my bathroom from those sprays. If my bag doesn't release, I found soap and water on a paper towel releases it, and then I go after it with wipes.

TerryLT
May 03, 2024 8:59 pm

I've been using the same wipes, the Hollister 7760s, since the beginning and have noticed no difference. There is always some liquid in the packet when I open it, which I use first to start the process. I did get a box of them one time that was very dried out, no liquid, and the wipe itself nearly dry. The supplier I was using at the time took them back and refunded me, saying they got a bad batch from the manufacturer. No problems since.

Terry

Mysterious Mose
May 03, 2024 10:08 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

Overspray? I use 4 or 5 targeted bursts to help loosen the adhesive before using the wipes for the heavy lifting, so to speak. I don't see where the overspray would come from. I suppose if one is using spray as the adhesive is coming off and squirting it all over the place. But, I would argue that is misusing the spray.

Hisbiscus
May 03, 2024 10:16 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I don't know, yeah, I have experienced it getting around. With glue, yes. I love the wipes, though. I have a parrot too, so I'm careful what I spray in the house.

AlexT
May 04, 2024 9:29 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Do you use bags with the cloth edge?

kittybou
May 04, 2024 9:55 am
Reply to AlexT

Yes, sir πŸ˜ΈπŸ•

AlexT
May 04, 2024 4:27 pm

You do peel that back with your fingers because it comes off easily. Then, just use a little spray at the top to get it to start releasing and a couple of little squirts on each side and it'll come right off, it doesn't take much.

Hisbiscus
May 04, 2024 11:57 pm
Reply to AlexT

Yes, Convatec Active Life hard convex. It has a tape collar with acrylic adhesive that really sticks on there. But I take soap and water on a paper towel, rub it on, and once I get an area to lift, I can soap all the way around and it lifts. Then the remover pads get the rest. I use the remover pads on the area I soaped up to. I love these bags in that I hardly ever leak, but they are so sticky and that bothers me.

kittybou
May 05, 2024 12:26 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you! πŸ˜ΈπŸ•

kittybou
May 05, 2024 12:29 am
Reply to AlexT

I will have to invest in some spray then. Thank you! πŸ˜ΈπŸ•

AllieKIM
May 05, 2024 12:40 am

I was so frustrated with those small packets of wipes I just use sprays. And I like to clean my belly with a warm, wet washcloth before putting on a new bag.

kittybou
May 05, 2024 2:11 am
Reply to AllieKIM

I drop them on the bathroom floor every time! I am not fond of them either.

AlexT
May 05, 2024 7:56 am
Reply to kittybou

You're welcome.

Mysterious Mose
May 06, 2024 5:24 pm
Reply to AllieKIM

I use the wipes only in the removal of the bag. I then use a couple of flushable wipes to clean the ileum. The bulk of the cleaning is done in the shower. Taking that naked shower is one thing that I look forward to on bag change mornings!

Sutto
May 13, 2024 2:30 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

So you can take a shower with your stoma exposed? I am new to all of this and did not know. Thank you.

AlexT
May 13, 2024 3:44 am
Reply to Sutto

Yep, the best thing you can do for your peristomal skin, IMO.

Mysterious Mose
May 13, 2024 3:17 pm
Reply to Sutto

Absolutely! Like Alex says, the best thing for your peristomal skin. I shower using Irish Spring soap, but I finish up by thoroughly cleaning the peristomal skin with Dial soap. It is antibacterial and will help your skin be dry when you attach your wafer. And getting soap on the stoma itself is not a problem. At least not for Irish Spring or Dial. I wouldn't use 20 Mule Team Borax no matter what Ronald Reagan said. πŸ₯Έ