Info on taking vitamins please

Replies
Views
skippy

I would like to know what would be the best vitamins I could take since I do have an ileostomy bag?

Past Member
Hey Skippy!

I always liked saying that! I take a daily multivitamin and that works well. I also take vitamin D (5000 IU) with lunch. My doctor said my blood work is fine with just the multivitamin, but I do feel a bit more energy later in the day with the Vitamin D.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TexasGirl

Hi Skippy. I'm not the expert and I'm not sure of what form you should take your vitamins because of your ileostomy, but my doctors have certainly stressed to me the importance of taking calcium, vitamin D, and a multiple.
Best to you, Debi

Whoa
Skippy and all

I'm not a nutritionist, but I will give the general answer: if taking a daily vitamin, the best absorption would be one in liquid or chewable form if you have an ileostomy. If you buy solid pill form daily vitamin, watch your stool output to make sure it is not coming out as the whole pill.

I've seen many here mention additional vitamin D supplement; I am assuming physicians are prescribing this to aid in calcium absorption to help ward off osteoporosis. Most folks will absorb enough from the general diet or sunlight exposure. Studies vary on the D supplement necessity; so if your MD has prescribed it, I would assume blood work was done to verify the need.

B12 absorption may be lacking in those who have had a large part of their small intestine (the terminal ileum) resected or have disease involvement of their small intestine (Crohn's typically) and should be supplemented; it must be done by injection as oral B12 is not absorbed. This is important to ward off pernicious anemia. It is advised that anyone with an ileostomy should have B12 blood levels checked periodically and supplemented as needed.
Mike

A great source of vitamin D is milk. I try to have a glass with lunch & dinner.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
me

Hi, I've had my ostomy for 29 years. I'm 46 years of age. I also self-cath. I take no antibiotics, but I do take multivitamins, liquid B's, calcium, fish oil, C's and D's, and drink water and juice. I have had no infections. They work for me.

d20x7

I have an ileostomy. I take two children's chewables and a dose of liquid B-12 daily. I also make sure to meet the full dietary calcium recommendations.

My bloodwork is good.

Celeste

I've had my ileostomy for 5 years. I used to be really anemic. I take nothing and now I probably should. Just had blood work done 2 weeks ago and levels are all good, except cholesterol level was at 253. They wanted to put me on some meds... I said hold on, give me 3 months to work on it myself and I will come back and do blood work and see where I'm at. I took meds for 24 years with my ulcerative colitis.
I'm not going to jump on any meds any time soon... but, I have considered vitamins.
I can tell when I am low... I crave milk and I can tell when my iron is down I crave salty and sour and ice. Other times I crave orange juice or other juices and I figure that is my Vitamin C. All in all, I balance it out.
We are all unique and different people with different systems.

Where would I find liquid forms of multivitamins?

I love this site... people helping people find their way.

cancerfree

You need to have your Dr. run blood work, everyone is different. I have to take powder calcium, B-12, potassium and 200 to 300 mg of elemental iron a day or almost every muscle in my body seizes up and I get horrible "restless leg syndrome" in my arms and shoulders which does not dissipate till I get my iron level up some and before my oncologist put me on the Palafer iron pills, I thought I was just really tired but actually was almost passing out from lack of oxygen in the blood. I also take a liquid mineral complex which is absorbed more easily than a lot of the pills are. Some pills don't even break down before they are excreted.
I was getting iron shots but the last batch (two years ago) pooled in the muscle tissue instead of being absorbed the way they should have been (probably from too many morphine shots in that area while in hospital) and the bruises are still healing after two 22 months.

I've lost my colon and the last two or three feet of my small intestine. Different vitamins and minerals are absorbed in different parts of the digestive tract. Let your Dr. do the tests. Try to eat a balanced diet (which is next to impossible with an ileostomy) and if you don't feel sick, sore or run down then don't worry about it too much.