Urostomy

Replies
Views
devilishjim

Hi Roberto
Start by making sure you drink plenty of water to keep flushing the good old drain pipes. And if you start feeling any discomfort around the flange, just assume that it's starting to leak and change it.
Cavilon no sting skin prep also helped me to get a better stick with the pouches.
Good luck
Jim

Azimuth
Hi Roberto, I am an urostomate too since 1976. It's true, in all forums there are threads on ileo and colostomy. The management of urostomy is difficult but with the new uro-pouch, life is easier. The leakages are not very frequent.
I have a urostomy for neurologic dysfunction of the bladder that was not removed.
I change the wafer every 2 days and the pouch every day. At night, I do not use the night-bag and I get up 1 time to empty the pouch... but in the evening, I drink a little water.

Sorry for my English. Until next time.
Marco.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
roberto
Hi Roberto, I am an urostomate too since 1976. It's true, in all forums there are threads on ileo and colostomy. The management of urostomy is difficult but with the new uro-pouch, life is easier. The leakages are not very frequent.

I have a urostomy for neurologic dysfunction of the bladder that was not removed.

I change the wafer every 2 days and the pouch every day. At night, I do not use the night-bag and I get up 1 time to empty the pouch... but in the evening, I drink a little water.

Sorry for my English. Until next time.

Marco.
Past Member
Hi fellow urostomates (especially Roberto and Azimuth),

I've had my urostomy for 15 months and things are going well at the moment. I too had bladder cancer, Roberto, and I am hoping that the cystectomy got rid of all the cancer.

I love connecting the night bag each night because I can sleep uninterrupted, except for our rooster which has been waking me since it learned to crow!

I live in Australia, where there is excellent support if you live in a big city. I live in a tiny town in the country but travel to the city for meetings.

Hope to talk some more,

Cheers, Julie
Whoa
Nurse
Hi Marco
I am not sure what country you live in and the availability of different supplies. Since you have had your urostomy for many years, I might be stating the obvious .... but will do so anyway.

Frequent leaks, making for frequent pouch changes: the best thing to do is get an ostomy nurse to check out your stoma, check for skin creases. If creases are present, often a convex wafer will also help your stoma to "spout out" and not drain at the skin line. Another option is adding a washer around the stoma such as Eakins ring by Convatec (www.convatec.com) or Hollister Adapt ring (www.hollister.com); Coloplast has them too and also some nice strips that can also be molded around the stoma or put into creases (I am sorry, the name escapes me.

Adding a regular ostomy belt that attaches to the pouch and is secured snugly can also add to security from leaks. The night bag for drainage is also helpful.

Mucosperse (just google the name, many sellers) added to the pouch may help with mucous blockages also.

I would prefer my patients to get at least 3 days wear time from a pouch ... but if 2 solid days without leakage and no other issues and everything else tried, then I would consider it OK as opposed to a stomal reconstruction.

I hope some of these things help. I'm sure you could give some tips yourself!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Azimuth

Thank you for your tip. I am from Italy.
Luckily, I have not frequent leaks, and the skin around the stoma does not have skin creases. I go to my ostomy nurse about every 2 years and once a year I make a check-up, and after I go to my urologist, especially for my kidney.
I don't use an ostomy belt. I will try it.
I have a question for you. In my free time, I go climbing or go trekking. I need a cover for my stoma to protect it from damage. Do you know something that I can use?
Marco

Whoa
Nurse
www.sto-med.com

Try this website, they have many different protective shields. When I first became an ostomy RN, I met the original inventor and a female patient trialed a shield for square dancing. She liked it. The website/owner might be able to suggest one. It is in the US but maybe they have similar things in Italy???

Italy!!! Wow! A place on my list of things to see before I die! (Eat and drink my way through!)