Need help with sensitive skin and ileostomy adhesive reactions

Replies
Views
Emeraldeyes

I've had my ileostomy for 2 years. My skin is super sensitive. The adhesive causes my skin to break down. It weeps and even bleeds. Once a week, I have to put an Aquacel bandage with Duoderm to allow it to heal. Right now, it was so bad I'm on oral Prednisone. If anyone has had a similar issue and has a good suggestion, I would love a better way to deal with this. My ostomy nurses are scratching their heads on this one.

Past Member
Hi there Emeraldeyes, I know I can only speak from the colostomy point of view, but I started having a similar problem in November with a sore and weeping rash around the stoma. I tried a variety of solutions including witch hazel, tea tree oil, antibiotics, and even changed brands of bag to make sure it wasn't a reaction to the particular adhesive on the Hollister bags. Every solution seemed to work for a while but would eventually fail, leaving me back at square one. But what I have found now is that when changing the bag flange (I use a two-piece Comfort 2), I shower, wash the area thoroughly but gently. I then dab the area under the adhesive liberally with Betnovate (Made by GlaxoSmithKline), dry it with a clean wipe or tissue. When dry, I wipe with a fresh skin barrier wipe. I then put back on the flange as I normally would and then clip on the bag. For the past two weeks, this has been working just fine for me, and I've had no return of that awful burning and weeping. Initially, I had thought that it might be the seal immediately around the stoma was breaking down and leaking, but after my stoma nurse and I investigated a bit further, we found that all that part wasn't the source of the problem. She recommended the Betnovate to me, and thank God she did. I do hope this helps. Take care, Colm
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,434 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ironmike
Emeraldeyes, just to cover one issue - are you showering with your appliance on? That will most certainly cause your skin to break down, weep, and create a bleeding wound.

On the topic of a bleeding wound under your appliance, I highly recommend Calcicare aka Restore by Hollister. It is a calcium alginate dressing.

After bathing, clean the wound with a saline solution and pat dry. Cut a piece of Calcicare so that it covers the wound. If bleeding more heavily, cut a second piece larger than the first and place over the first piece. Then take a 2x4 or 3x4 bandage and cut it to fit over the Calcicare and around the stoma. Then apply your appliance and an ostomy belt if you need it.

If the dressing becomes blood-soaked, open your appliance enough to pull the piece out with tweezers and insert a clean dressing. Unless it's a mess, you don't have to remove your appliance to change the dressing.

Depending upon the size of the wound, it could take a few weeks to close, but you should see diminished bleeding after a few changes.

Don't know for sure if I'm addressing your problem. I've had firsthand experience with bleeding, peristomal wounds.
Tinminer

Hey there, I know where you are coming from. Put up with it for about 15 months post-op.

Been problem-free for the past 5 years after trying a number of different things and then found that dabbing Maalox antacid around the stoma and allowing it to dry (or blow-drying it for a few seconds) seems to have been the cure.

By the way, I tried a number of other antacid options, but the only one that worked was Maalox.

I also switched from a Coloplast flange to the Hollister Adapt ring.

All I can say is it was hell for a long time, but it has been great for a lot longer.

Best of luck.

Past Member

Have you tried the Karaya products from Hollister? They are made for sensitive skin.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
tiger

I had trouble with this for the first two years (I'm on year 4). I could never get it to heal. When changing appliances, I would clean the stoma area best I could, and then out of the shower, I add powder (either stoma powder or nystatin (antifungal)) and let that sit for 5 minutes before going on to the next step. (I usually brush my teeth during this time so I don't rush it). It's even harder to do all this when output, aka poo, is shooting out, so I try to time my changes, when I can. At the time I would "crust" - layering powder with skin barrier - but I don't anymore. Finding an appliance system that doesn't leak will help with the healing. Have you tried all brands? (There are like 20 brands). Call the company and ask for a sample. I've never had anyone say no.
I don't know if I'm being of any help here, but 3M makes a no sting skin barrier that is great http://www.firstoptionmedical.com/3M-Cavilon-Barrier-Film-28-mL-Spray-p/55003.htm?sku=55003+0001&utm_source=google+product&utm_medium=versafeed&utm_term=55003+0001&utm_campaign=health+beauty+personal+care&utm_content=3M+v_traceback=c0115_0645_f0115_0713+vfpr=10.30+Click=1017+gclid=CJ31yOeO1q0CFQ9qhwodEDP5mw
Insurance covers it, and it really works. Both the lollipops and spray work great. It's kinda like a liquid band-aid. And it really doesn't sting!!!
If you have a day to not eat or do anything, lie on your bed without an appliance and just let it heal. I did that whenever I could and it helped as well.
Oh, very important!! If it itches, change it!! Itching is the first sign that the skin is breaking down, but you need to heal the wound first. I'm in Minnesota, and I finally went to the Mayo Clinic. If you can, go see the head ostomy nurse there. She was the one who helped me devise an appliance system so I can go 5 days w/o changing now (big deal, I know - lots go for a week, but I was changing every day or two, so I'm ok with 5 days
Good luck!

Past Member

Hi, I had the same problem. My stoma nurse recommended using Cavillon wipes. They are like a little pad soaked in solution which acts as a barrier to protect the skin. When I change pouch, I wash around the stoma and then wipe the skin around where the adhesive goes and then stick a new pouch on. It doesn't affect the sticking power of the pouch and no more irritating skin. If you're in the UK, you can get them free on prescription. In the USA, they are made by 3M, the same people who make the Post-it notes. - Adrian

bmeup
Hi Emeraldeyes, I too have super sensitive skin due to the fact that I also have CTCL. I haven't had this problem yet and pray that I won't. I called the company CyMed and got some samples of their pouches with Microskin. They are great and now I'm just waiting to find out if my insurance will cover them and how much my copay might be. They are very expensive. If your insurance won't cover them initially, you might be able to get them to if your doctor will fill out an override form. Stay on 'em. I discovered I didn't have to use any barrier wipes and they are so comfortable I actually couldn't feel the pouch when empty. Plus, my skin around the stoma looked better when I changed pouches. Good luck. I'm sorry for your discomfort. Take care.
Past Member

I shower with soap and water. Remove the pouch. Shower with water only. Pat dry. Apply Domeboro solution 20:1 with a cotton swab. Blow dry, cool only. Apply the pouch. Works with fire red rash and pus heads. Prevents and cures. Domeboro is recommended for both. Buy from the drug store.

Past Member

More from Blacky. I use a Cymed pouch. Call 800-582-0707 for free samples.

Sweetie2003

Sweetie2003

Sweetie2003

Have you tried the hydrofera?