Successful colostomy reversal experiences and complications?

Replies
Views
NEWTON1100

I have a colostomy with a stoma that I have had since October 2010. Everyone says "get it reversed".
Well, I'm too scared to do it. I got really sick after my surgery and nearly died. Has anyone out there had a successful reversal? If so, what were the complications?

MJMuraco

I had a colostomy from Sept. 2011 until reversal in Feb of 2012. I woke up from surgery with an ileostomy which I wasn't too happy about but my doctor said it was temporary for about 5 weeks and then he'd reverse that and I'd be bag free. He said it would give my colon a chance to heal.

The ileostomy was worse than the colostomy because I constantly had to dump the bag and it was uncomfortable. I got discouraged and like you was scared because now I faced another surgery. I had the reversal surgery for that in March 2012 and the great news is I have been bag free ever since. I went back to work in May of 2012 and just celebrated a year of good health. I had no complications and I feel like my old self again.

My stomach looks like a tic tac toe board and sticks out but other than that I'm great. I know how you feel about being scared because I almost died too but it was worth all of the surgeries to be bag free again. Just make sure you have a really good doctor. My doctor certainly knew what he was doing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,426 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MJMuraco

I had a colostomy from Sept. 2011 until reversal in Feb of 2012. I woke up from surgery with an ileostomy which I wasn't too happy about but my doctor said it was temporary for about 5 weeks and then he'd reverse that and I'd be bag free. He said it would give my colon a chance to heal.
The ileostomy was worse than the colostomy because I constantly had to dump the bag and it was uncomfortable. I got discouraged and like you was scared because now I faced another surgery. I had the reversal surgery for that in March 2012 and the great news is I have been bag free ever since. I went back to work in May of 2012 and just celebrated a year of good health. I had no complications and I feel like my old self again.

My stomach looks like a tic tac toe board and sticks out but other than that I'm great. I know how you feel about being scared because I almost died too but it was worth all of the surgeries to be bag free again. Just make sure you have a really good doctor. My doctor certainly knew what he was doing.

MJMuraco

WindyCity
Hello. I too almost died after my colectomy. I had leakage which caused many life-threatening issues. Hospitalized for almost 2 months, 5 surgeries, rehab thereafter. It's been almost 3 years. But my disease was atypical, and I believe that the surgery erupted something, which attributed to my decline. But maybe not. With that said, I'm too in limbo. If I knew that having the reversal would be successful, and my quality of life would be great like it is now, then I would. Despite my fears. But the unknown is what scares me because I don't want to have to keep going on that operating table. For you, I hope that your health is more defined. It's been 2 1/2 years, I hope that you've mentally healed. It's extremely traumatic, and even though those around you that saw you go through this, still might not understand. You HAVE to be at peace with your decision, when and if to have it. When you are ready and prepared, you also heal much better. Reversals are most often so successful, keep that in mind. Maybe you still need time, take it and don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. Best wishes!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
serval
Hi, I was hesitant to post this as I know that not everyone on this forum has the opportunity to have a reversal and I didn't want to be insensitive. I had hernia surgery in Nov/11 and the surgeon nicked my bowel. I became septic and was in a coma for a month and hospital for 2 months. Every day for 2 weeks, my family was told that I was going to die. When I woke up, I had a colostomy, couldn't walk, and had undergone 5 surgeries. My life was pure hell. The stoma was prolapsed by about 6 inches, and I was constantly having leakage and explosions. Nothing I tried, diet-wise or new products, seemed to work. I spent a lot of time isolating in my home. I was too scared to go out. At times, I got so discouraged that I didn't think that life was worth living. I thought about ending my life.

This spring, I was told by the colorectal surgeon that there was a slight chance that my colostomy could be reversed. I had a colonoscopy and abdominal ultrasound to check the feasibility of it. I was terrified as I was told that I might not make it through the surgery. I thought long and hard about it, and I chose to have the surgery as I knew that I could not go on the way I was. I recently had the surgery and am thrilled with the results. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks due to an infection. I had an epidural for the first few days but didn't have too much pain when it was discontinued. My bowels took a few weeks to settle down but are regular now. The quality of my life is great, although I am still in shock that the reversal was a success. I hope that this helps those of you that aren't sure about a reversal.