Reversibility of Total Proctocolectomy with Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
BustedColon

Can it be reversed? I've searched and searched for any info on it and I'm coming up with nothing. I'm OK with living with the bag. I just didn't know if maybe sometime down the road I wanted to reverse it, could I? Anyone know anything about that?

Past Member
I'm sorry, my friend....to my knowledge (as of today), there's no reversal possible for a total colectomy. But you know the marvels (and nightmares) of modern medicine, there is always hope.

You would think with the invention of computer chips and retina recognition, they would find a way to replace the most basic and personal need of human nature, huh? But as with most procedures that sustain life in its simplest terms.......they rather think that a working ostomy is more of a "cosmetic" deformity, not worth much on the scale of medical necessities.

*Just remember*, you are still the great person you've always been "pre-surgery". The only thing that's changed is hopefully your much healthier and come with attachments, (Oh, and you are in great company....."Just saying", LOL) !!

Hope you're well and "Welcome" to our community. It's very nice to "almost" meet you.
BEG
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Anoniem18

You might want to check the Mayo Clinic. There is a fair bit of information. See:

http://search2.mayoclinic.com/search?q=proctocolectomy&site=mayoclinic-org|mayoclinic-com|mayo-edu|internet-research|clinical-trials&client=unified&proxystylesheet=unified&output=xml_no_dtd

But I don't think reversal is an option.

Ed

WindyCity

Hello. Colectomies can consist of still leaving in certain parts... such as your anus and rectum. For example, I still have my rectum/anus after my total colectomy. Those that get a J-pouch have their rectum removed in their colectomy, but not their anus. For a proctocolectomy, the anus is removed, thus there isn't anything now that can be done.

From the sound of your post, you're doing well! Best wishes!

brwneyes76

My surgeon made sure that I knew and understood that when I had my total procto-colectomy with ileostomy that it is not reversible. My surgery was 4/23/13.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vanessavy

You can reverse an ostomy.

You can get a K-pouch or BCIR with a total proctocolectomy if there is enough small bowel left. I think you need at least 12 feet. I have a BCIR. No anus, rectum, colon, gallbladder, and 60% of a stomach.

Ewesful

You can only re-bond the area if there is material that is not involved with the "problem" causing the need for the operation. I have FAP and all is gone. The bag is a very tiny price to pay for a whole new life. I was made very aware and it was my choice before surgery. I am very pleased with the outcome.

BustedColon

Thanks, guys! I knew exactly what I was getting into when I made the choice to get the bag. It did give me my life back, and I would not go back and change that for anything! My surgeon did a great job prepping me on what my life would be like from now on. I have not kept up on if there were new medical ideas or procedures out there to reverse what I have! Thanks for everyone's input!!! Wouldn't be as strong as I am today without everybody's support!