Tincture of Opium

Replies
Views
janice

My doctor prescribed tincture of opium to try to slow down my ileostomy output. I had a heck of a time trying to find a pharmacy that would even fill the script. I finally found one, but they have to order it. It should be in tomorrow.
Has anyone used this? Does it work? Can I get addicted to it?

tarababy
Hi Janice, I'm interested in this medication you have been prescribed... Is it meant to help slow your bowel down? If so, then I'm REALLY interested... I have been using Codeine now for over 20 years. I am so addicted to it that I can't go any longer than a few days without them. I get so sick. I am on 6 to 8 a day... If there was any chance there was something out there that could do the same or better job... maybe minus the addiction, but then that could be pushing my luck... I would give it a go... Mind you, being here in Australia, it might be ten years before we are allowed it... lol... Anyway, I will be keeping a close eye on your post for some answers... thank you so much... Take care... Tara.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

janice

Tara, yes, the doctor says it should slow down my bowels. I'm kind of apprehensive about how addictive it may be but, hey....if it works, it will be worth it to spend less time on the toilet! I'll let you know how it works.
I've been on opiates (pill form) and they do nothing to slow it down. Hopefully, this will work.

facingmyfears
Hi Janice,

Oddly enough, after my surgery in July, the nurse at John's Hopkins recommended over-the-counter Imodium (the not-so-tasty green liquid) to control/slow down ileostomy output. It worked very well for me.

Have you tried that? Sometimes the simplest and most effective solutions don't require prescriptions.

In any case, good luck to you!

Be well and enjoy the day/moment,
Sharon
janice

Yes, Sharon, I was on Imodium, Lomotil, cholestyramine powder (all anti-diarrhea meds) at the same time. Didn't do a bit of good. We'll see if this does any better. I guess because I have less than 2 ft. of small bowel left, it's just going to be active.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
tarababy
Hi Janice, I am glad there is something else out there that might help me... As with the Imodium... lmao... I was on 24 a day and it didn't do a thing. Tried everything over the counter and everything under it.... Yes, the codeine does slow down how many times I have to empty. The food does not stay in my system long enough to get the goodness out of the food, so I was wasting away, plus the money being spent on food was sending me broke... could never fill me up, was like after a huge meal, I was so hungry still... That is why I push the codeine as I know it works... You sound a lot like me with the no small bowel to speak of.... lol... ok thanks again Janice... good luck with it.
janice

Thanks Tara! LOL... I'm the same way, I am always hungry! I thank God for the TPN!

janice

Still haven't got this script yet. Was supposed to be in Tuesday, then today, now they said it's out of stock. Other pharmacy wouldn't even try to fill it....I can't stand New Jersey!

janice

Well, it finally came in. The stuff tastes NASTY!!! Took 3 drops on my tongue before dinner. Haven't noticed a difference yet but, will give it a few tries.

tarababy

Hi Janice....nice to hear you got hold of it finally.....And yes, wasn't expecting it to taste like Lockanora...(mother's milk - a scotch liqueur..mmmm!!!) Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I asked my doctor about it and guess what happened? He tried to look it up on the computer and, so he said, he couldn't find anything on it... and by the dumb look on his face.. I'm pretty sure he has never heard of it before... So, looks like I'm sticking to the codeine... Ah well.. it works, so what more can I ask hey.. Hope it is working for you... I know the relief I got after my medication was fixed.. and how fast I got better... So I pray this works for you.... Good luck, Tara

janice
Hi Tara,
It does seem to be working, however, because it slows it down so much, a lot of times the contents of my bag seem to hang around the top of my bag because it's so thick. (I think someone on here called it "pancaking".
I've had several unexpected blowouts and I think this may be one of the reasons.
I was taking it four times a day. I've cut it back so hopefully I won't spring leaks as much!
tarababy

Hi Janice, thanks for getting back to me... Yes, as I was reading I thought right away, slow the dose down... surprised they started you on a high dose right away.. I had to start slow and go up... anyway, great to hear it works... And as you say you're getting a bit of pancaking... Think I'd rather have a pancake than a waterfall... Thanks again for your help. Tara

gutenberg
Hello again Sharon: Like you ladies I also have an iliostomy and it seems as if for every quart of liquid I drink I seem to lose one and a half. For the last five years I've been taking Imodium when things get really bad. Today I seen my doctor and he suggested I take one pill a day for the next two weeks and maybe then go to two daily. We'll see. Now to my question finally, Sharon, you mentioned taking the liquid Imodium and have you tried the pill form for a comparison. Really would like to know as that's the biggest cause of my potassium problems. If only I were a camel, one drink in seven days, that would get me over the hump. Thanks, Ed
gwilliamhouse

I too have been taking Lomotil (prescription) and Imodium pills daily and still have very loose stools. My doctor prescribed Tincture of Opium but my insurance wouldn't cover it and wanted me to pay $550 for it. Then my doctor instead prescribed Paregoric Liquid which is a less potent version of Tincture. It tastes so nasty, and when I do take it, I really don't notice too much difference. Especially at night - I have to empty the bag about every 2 hours. During the day, it's much better. Also at night, I tend to get a lot of air too.

Strange how it's different for everyone.