Hollister New Image pouches - Quality concerns?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice related to the quality of Hollister New Image pouches for ostomy care.
PatinPickering
Hi! My surgery was 22 years ago and I started out with Convatec, but it turns out that I was allergic to their flange (adhesive). I have been using Hollister New Image. The flange is superior, but of late I've noticed that the pouches (18124 New Image drainable) last only a couple of days! In fact, according to the Excel spreadsheet which I use to order these, it illustrates that I'm consuming double the pouches over last year!

I've sent an email to their customer service staff in Canada but have not heard back as yet. It's as though the thickness of the walls of the pouch are somewhat thinner (QA issue or marketing has decided to save some material costs).

Today, I've put on a Convatec Natura pouch with the Hollister New Image flange. I'll see how long this lasts, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

Anyone in the forum experiencing similar issues? Any suggestions for me?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Anoniem18
Hi Pat,
I assume Pickering, Ontario. I had an issue for a while with their flanges. I wrote to them but never heard back. I went through a period of less than normal (7 days) use, but mostly with flanges.
Lately, I have used Coloplast. They are very supportive and will continue to send you samples. I now use their 2mm Brava rings. They send me a $15 coupon, normally $60 (CDN) for 10. After the issues, I started from scratch and used less or none of all the accessories: barrier spray, powder, rings, paste, skin cleaner. After removal - 7 days, longer the skin starts to be irritated - then wash with regular soap, shave, use a saline solution, then a skin cleaner, a spray barrier (unless I forget), a thin ring, and then the flange after heating it with a heat gun or hairdryer. Then I use Coloplast Elastic Tape, $32 at the medical supply store in Pickering, and finally medical or athletic tape. Sometimes when the flange lets loose in an area, I use paste or half a ring, and more tape. Typically, the pouch lasts longer than 1 use. I posted info on how I do all this elsewhere on this site. Want more info? Skype: ed.maste, also my ID at (more than warm) mail.
Hope this helps,
Ed Maste in the phone book
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
PatinPickering
Ed, there are some Coloplast samples on my shelf but the problem is with the pouches not with the flange. After my first concern with Hollister products (pouches failing at the "6 o'clock" point with leakage), I pinged their customer support group via email. Now that I have names and email addresses, they have been good about responding (first it was Monique Delorme but now it's Barbara Lawrence).

I faxed this most recent email to Shoppers Home Health where I purchase my ostomy supplies and Carmela called me the next day (to the best of her knowledge her customers aren't experiencing this issue).

I've already given up on my Convatec pouch with the Hollister flange (only lasted a couple of hours).

Pickering, ON is correct ...
Calico
Hi Pat,

I have the exact same problem! I've been using Coloplast supplies, which work the best for me. I get a really long wear time out of them. The bags are great. They lock (as in they don't just fall off or blow out while I'm doing anything, or nothing). But I've been in the hospital 3x's in the last 2 months and had not been able to place my order, and all I had was some Hollister bags left over from when I was on their patient assistant program (don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the free bags that they provided me with while I had no insurance). But the bags and wafers were more trouble than they were worth. The wafers, as great as they were on my skin, the plastic "window" would always crack or break open, causing leakages, or the plastic ring on the flange would just come apart from the back side of the bag and the whole thing would tear apart, bag would fall off, don't even know what to call that one . . . . I've had the ones with the clips at the end, the clips would start to come off (thank God I was wearing a stealth belt). I've used the lock and roll, and had the lock (just Velcro) undo and unroll in bed and if not for me checking regularly it was on the very last roll and I would have had a huge mess.

I have not contacted Hollister, I kinda felt like they were doing me a huge favor giving me free bags for nearly a year till I acquired insurance. The only thing is they would only give 5 flanges and 10 bags a month to get by on, no room for blow outs or errors on their part.

I have been so sick I still have not placed my order with Coloplast, which I need to do ASAP. But with Medicare, they send you enough stuff to make it more than enough in an emergency if needed, especially after Hollister!

Maybe this will help (or make it worse, who knows!!!). Just knowing you're not the only one going through the problem helps, but with enough of us having the same problems instead of complaining about it here, maybe all join together and overload them with letters to get the problem fixed.

Calico
Past Member

I use Hollister 18123 and have no problem at all. If you have hair where your wafer goes, do not shave, just trim the hair down.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Nikhil

I have had the same problem with the pouches (Hollister 18112) in the past few weeks. The pouches almost seem thinner or more flimsy. I had thought maybe my diet has become more acidic and that is why there was more 'wear and tear' on the pouches. The flanges are fine.

I'm going to follow up with Hollister too.

spartan

I had the same problem. I called, sent photos, and never got an answer. For me, the pouch itself was separating from the flange. The old pouch barrier was thinner. No doubt about it. The biggest thing, however, if you look closely at the pouches, the area where the pouch is glued to the flange is less. My pouches were actually coming apart from the flange and leaking!!!
Hollister swore they made no changes. Not true. I have pictures showing the differences and one of the old pouches.
I need to mention that I was using a one-piece that required a clamp. The replacement I am using now has a Velcro closure. I went from 6-7 days before changing to now being 4-5 days.
Again, I called and sent pictures and never got a reply.
Good luck to all of you. There are probably thousands of us out there. Too bad Hollister isn't listening.

61smiles

So I'm not just imagining this. Lately, I've been spending so much time in the bathroom changing my pouches. I couldn't figure out where they were leaking from, but the underside of the pouch is wet. The location around the flange looks different, but I couldn't quite figure out how. Or maybe it was just leaking right through the plastic. I've also been having trouble lately with a hernia and ulcers on the parastomal skin. So I thought that was why I wasn't getting a good enough seal. But now the ulcers are not as inflamed nor bleeding, and I'm still having trouble with leaks. Unfortunately, I can't change companies because I get my supplies through the VA.

Past Member

I use Hollister 2-piece 18193 and have not had the problem you are talking about, but my problem is with the filter leaking. Personally, I'm not understanding what the filter is supposed to 'filter' out because to me it always smells bad. Sometimes I can make it last longer by putting clear packaging tape over the filter, but that seems like a ridiculous thing to have to do. I live in the states and have not tried contacting Hollister here - anyone else? It definitely causes me to go through the bags every 2-3 days. When I first started using them last year, I did not have that problem and they would last quite a while, so I'm thinking something has sure changed - YIKES...sometimes ya just can't win!

Judi

klark
I started out using Convatec supplies right after my surgery... as what the hospital provided. I later switched over to Hollister and they were great as far as providing info and some free samples. Right now I'm using the drainable 18124 and when I golf, bowl, or play ball the 18393 which is smaller and somewhat compact. I've also not had any of the problems you've mentioned regarding leaks and odor. If you go to Hollister's website click on North America, then Canada... at the bottom of the page there is a link to sitemap... click on that and the page with your customer service center info and 1-800 telephone number should appear. Their reps are available 8:30am to 5:00pm Eastern. I thought they were great as far as customer service goes, right after my surgery I had a lot of questions and they helped, even sent me a catalog of all their products. Give them a call and good luck!! I hope this helps...
ladydi53

I started out using Hollister, which they put on in the hospital. It was a two-piece. Through getting samples, etc. from Hollister, Convatec, and Coloplast, I now use a one-piece from Convatec with paste from Coloplast. I might have a leakage or blowout maybe once every six months, but I notice it usually happens due to the consistency of stool. If I can keep it in a mushy consistency, it flows much better and I can get 6-7 days from my appliance. Many of the companies will send samples to try. This is how I ended up with the one I am using now. I also find that the one-piece I am using is cheaper than buying both the flange and pouch. I pay (Canadian) $105 and change for 20. I order through Canmed Direct and they deliver. If the order is over $150, there is free shipping. They have many ostomy supplies. I hope some of this helps.

pamsostomy

Hello Patin... My wife had an ileostomy and uses a Hollister 14603 wafer, and a 18403 bag, and never has a leak problem, and works great. We use the wafer by itself... no ring, no paste, and never leaks, no odor... really simple to use. Wafer usually lasts 6 days. Just some info for ya! Good luck! Mark Scherer