Water and Stoma Bag: Flange Peeling Solutions?

Replies
Views
amietwin1

Hi.

I'm new to this site and couldn't find anything on swimming and other water-related issues with stoma bags.

I currently have found the flange on said bag I have applied to myself peel away slightly, and then solidify once dry, whenever I have a shower. This causes some discomfort to the skin around the flange. It's like a pinching or scratching sensation which I find really annoying. I do use these Aqua Plus Aloe Vera seals from Salts Healthcare, but the same things happen!

Is this normal? Is there any way to stop this from happening in the future, as I would like to start going swimming soon?

Any help and advice would be really appreciated! :)

mario10zeus

I use stomahesive paste on my flange and I haven't had any issues while showering. I haven't headed back to swimming yet, but I'll probably first try the ocean before the pool.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,654 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Zywie

Hi Amie, if you go to the very bottom of either the Home or Main Menu page, there are some options to choose from; pick the "All Forum Topics" one. There are two topics I found that may help: "Sweating/Melting/Running" and "Summer Time". There are probably more, but I got tired of looking through them all. The nurse I had before I left the hospital gave me some pink tape that I was supposed to put over the taped area of the bottom part. I just used it about two weeks ago - my first and probably last time I go swimming for a while - and it worked as far as waterproofing, but didn't stick too well after being in the water for a while. Mine does the same thing as yours, but after a year of babying it, I just say -- well, never mind what I say, but I take my showers and dry it off as best I can and hope I can get a few more days out of it. Hope you find something that helps.

P.S. Welcome to the site. Lots of nice people here that love to help.

sj68

Hi Amie,

I had the same problem so I tried 3M Micropore Surgical Tape as suggested by Mayoman, works perfectly, shower everyday. You can get a pack of 12 on Amazon for about £10. Haven't found a solution for swimming though as I don't think the tape would be much good for that. Hope this helps.

Steve.

garfish

Hello Amie,

I've had very good luck using Coloplast Brave Elastic Tape Strips. They are in a crescent shape and form an outer bond between skin and plate. I go swimming and diving in the ocean at least once a week and they hold up very well. Showering 2-3 times a day is no problem either. The Coloplast item #23311870. Hope this helps. Good luck.

G

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
garfish

Here's the link. They'll send samples.

http://www.coloplast.com/products/ostomy/?section=bravaC2AE-ostomy-accessories_7250

Sandywr

Press 'n' Seal, like Saran Wrap, works in a shower. Tear off a sheet to cover the flange area and stick it to your skin. When done showering, just throw it away.