Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Mini pouch?

Past Member
Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Please educate on the pros and done of mini pouch and when they come in handy.  I got 2 of them as samples from a coworkers mom. They are 7 inches in length, and sealed end not drainable not sure if that helps. I didn't know they existed.  Again more learning.

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:37 am

Hello CANN. I was given a few of these when I first was wearing bags. I thought they were pretty useless at the time an literally didn't last five minutes before they were full. I stopped using them and they laty in the cupboard until I started irrigating. Once all the output was finished , these small bags were useful as a confidence booster, in case I had any residual output at a later time. When they ran out I simply made the irrigation sleev into a bag to do the same thing.  I feel sure that there must be a reason that they are produced and I hope that other people will reply to your post and tell us what they use them for.

Best wishes

Bill 

Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:28 am

they are more for colonostomy people. Just a smaller bag that is less noticeables as I see it. I use half regular and half mini.

Last edited by xnine on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:38 am

Hi! I use the minis all the time. Yes, I have a colonostomy with fairly solid output. I am also short - only 5'2" tall. The big bags on me reach part way down my leg, and are incredibly awkward when trying to do anything even remotely active. And as for doing anything that involves bending, as in the garden, well ... Yuck! 

Yes, it does fill up more quickly, but I have found that (for me) 2 or 3 bags in the morning fill up, and then I have what is essentially an empty bag for pretty much the rest of the day. It is much more discreet and much more comfortable than the longer bags.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:04 am

The smaller, closed end pouches are generally for people with colostomies, because their output is often firmer. The bags are a one time use. When they fill up, you can just take them off & toss them out and put on a new bag. Colostomy patients generally only have to change bags 1-2 times a day and it's easier to put on a new bag rather than empty a big bag.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:34 pm

I use one  if I am in the ocean.  I wash/shower to get  all the salt/sand   off and change back to a regular bag.    Also when pool swimming it can be nice just because it is smaller and easier.

Past Member
Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:28 pm

Really not intended for long term use but for situations when discretion is helpful like intimate moments or when swimming or bathing.

Best time to use when your stoma is least active - nothing worse than hearing a scream not from ecstasy but we'll need I go on.

You can always shorten the bag drop by folding up the tail just needs a little bit of trial error.

Past Member
Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Thank you for all the replies.  Sounds like not a big option for ileostomy.  I considered trying one for swimming but (lil shit) gets excited in water and tends to expel anything it can find.  The only time its quiet is first 30 minutes or less in the morning.  Emptying a bag 1-2 times a day for me would require a ten gallon bag lol.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:28 pm

I have an ileostomy and have been using Hollister's mini pouch for about 5 years. I use the drainable one 24/7 and I really like it.

I hated how the sharp corner of the roll up velcro closure on the bigger pouch would poke my thigh. 

I empty pretty frequently anyway, regardless of pouch size, so I don't think the smaller pouch has disadvantages for me.   Someone who has more tolerance for a fuller pouch could go longer between empties with a normal-size pouch, of course.

DisneyRN
Nurse
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:15 am

Mini pouches and closed end have their place for certain patients. Obviously for anyone who only has to empty 1-2 x day is an option but we also encourage them for intimate times as they do not take up as much room and can be more discreet and comfortable. 

They also are good for anyone who does irrigation and still has any residual output throught the day. You can always call and get a few samples to try and see if they work for your particular situation. 

Every ostomate has such different objectives- some want the biggest/longest pouch possible to not empty often and some want a small to not be so obvious or short waisted people. Luckily most pouches now have a place to "tuck" the velcro up to get it out of your crotch/thigh area

I've learned when I meet a new ostomate and making recommendations to start with the conversation of "tell me about you and your lifestyle/work situation and what you want to be doing in a few months" and then since I know most of the options out there I put myself in their situation and recommend what I would want to wear in their situation and usually give them at least 2 options to start. 

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:37 am

Bill wrote:  

Hello CANN. I was given a few of these when I first was wearing bags. I thought they were pretty useless at the time an literally didn't last five minutes before they were full. I stopped using them and they laty in the cupboard until I started irrigating. Once all the output was finished , these small bags were useful as a confidence booster, in case I had any residual output at a later time. When they ran out I simply made the irrigation sleev into a bag to do the same thing.  I feel sure that there must be a reason that they are produced and I hope that other people will reply to your post and tell us what they use them for.

Best wishes

Bill 

I use them for swimming and i love them

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:14 am

The comment about short-waisted people really got me in a nutshell. Even though I have to change them out more than once or twice a day (I buy extras on ebay), they otherwise make life SO much easier for me that they are well worth the expense - for me and my situation. Everybody's is different. My output tends to be more solid and splashes when emptying into a toilet (YUCKKK!), and the "reclosable" ends get so contaminated and hard to clean that I was constantly afraid to go out for fear of the smell. Now it's quick, easy, basically odor-free once I walk out of the bathroom, and I go anywhere and do anything I want. No fear, no shame, no problem.

If your output is more liquid practically all the time, closed-end probably wouldn't be very good for your situation; it would fill up too fast and be difficult to get in the disposal bag without mess. You just have to evaluate your own situation.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.