Need help linking blockages to food

Replies
Views
2tired

I know dealing with an ileostomy is largely trial and error, but after my 3rd blockage in 11 months, I finally realized that until I stop having output for 12-18 hours (with or without pain), I don't know a blockage is coming on--and I haven't a clue about how to link the problem to any particular food I might have eaten. For one thing, I don't know how long it takes for food to "process" into the pouch. Nor do I know what to look for in the output, if there are any clues there. Is pain usually a sign of problems *before* a blockage? I'm not even sure at this point whether it's food that is causing my blockages. Two surgeons told me it was scar tissue, but the hospitalist for my last visit asked me what I'd been eating. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Hello 2tired. These things are all about trial and error (mostly error) as we are all different. An easy way to tell how long it take s for food to 'process' is to eat some sweetcorn and wait for it to come out. However, the other day I had a surprise when I thought I was bleeding as the oujtput was blood red. Then I realised that it was becasue I had eaten beetroot - so that seems to be another indicator for you to try. It sounds as if the surgeons are right about the scar tissue so It might be best to seek help and advice from them as to what you can do about it.

best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,367 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

alwayshopeful

Hi 2tired,

Sorry you have had to deal with blockages! Ouch.

I am pretty much a newbie, having only had my ileostomy since 4 August, and yes, it is trial and error and it seems to have a mind of its own. I was advised to keep away from any foods that could potentially block my stoma, such as sweetcorn, nuts, etc., or anything with a skin on it, and make sure I chew my food properly before swallowing. I was put on a very bland diet of nothing green....so I never want to see another carrot at this stage. Bananas are the only fruit allowed......avoid oranges or anything that is acid-producing like tomatoes, etc. (the skin around my stoma was quite raw and painful initially).........White bread only.....Nothing that is high fiber....etc. I had to do this for six weeks and then slowly introduce small amounts of other foods one at a time and see how my body reacts.....been trial and error but instinctively I just stay away from anything that visibly can potentially block the stoma, and I make sure I chew my food really well.

The output consistency is erratic no matter what I eat or don't eat......I use Imodium if the output is too watery for too long as I don't want to dehydrate or the old kidneys start to take a knock. Peanut butter, marshmallows, guava paste, bananas; seem to help thicken the output when I need it.

Take care and hope blockages are a thing of the past.

Katerina.kits

Hi everyone. I have had my ileostomy for 4 weeks now. I have started to introduce one fruit or veg a day and so far so good (banana, broccoli, onion). Today I ate a peeled apple, output was very noisy and 'squirty' and I had to empty the bag twice. There were also bubbles in it! I'm guessing it is the apple that has done this? Do I need to not eat apples again? Or is it okay that it's like that? I had no pain! I've read the posts about blockages, I must say that makes me panic. I can't imagine what that would be like or even how to know I have a blockage. Xx

Ewesful

I was very clearly instructed that with an ileostomy not to eat raw veggies -- I do eat oranges and fruit that is very ripe. As for apples or firm fruit, cut them up and make a cobbler. The other way is to just slice them into a dish with a bit of sugar and microwave until soft --- or make applesauce. Homemade is so much better than commercial and so easy. You can also add cranberries or whatever and have fun.

On another note, be very careful with rice - it does not digest; however, my daughter makes delicious cheese mini muffins for me using white rice flour and they are amazing.

I have found most white (not whole grain) pasta is okay in small amounts, but I cannot handle much of it at a time.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Katerina.kits

Thank you, ewesful. To be honest, I wasn't given much food advice. I was just told to try one thing at a time. I didn't know that about rice either. My mum makes me a soup with rice and I haven't had a problem with it. Pasta I eat often too and it seems to be okay. I'm just desperate to eat fruit and veg again as I have an infection in my largest scar, and I know it won't heal as fast as it could without the vitamins and minerals I need! Xx

NJ Bain

2tired,

Here is a link to the Ostomates Food Chart. It shows how most foods affect us. Note the foods that cause obstructions.

Ostomy Food Chart

Food and scar tissue can be the cause of a blockage. I've also noticed in the past that if I cut the hole too small in the wafer that goes around my stoma, it can also act as a blockage. The hole should be as big as the widest part of your stoma. You'll know the hole is too small if your stoma swells up larger than normal.

After about a month after my surgery, I found out the hard way that I had to chew peanuts up VERY, VERY well. The same thing with corn. If I eat a food that may cause an obstruction, about an hour or so later I would get these rolling gas pains that would come on every couple of minutes. And in my case as an ileostomate, I would either massage my stomach until the obstruction passed, or I would end up throwing up. But this is the way "I've" experienced an obstruction. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Katerina,

Eating apples is fine. I would recommend moderation as my surgeon told me, because your surgery is fairly new, or try eating it with a non-danger food like graham crackers. My advice to all ostomates is to CHEW, CHEW, CHEW. Chewing your food up very well helps the digestion in many ways and can help avoid the chance of a blockage. Plus, it allows your stomach's "full" meter to work properly so you'll get full faster and allows you to eat just about anything.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Bain

Katerina.kits

Thank you, Bain. xx

paulaAZ

2 tired... What I have found (and I am a newbie compared to some as I have only had my ileostomy for about a year) is that everyone is different. I have talked to/met people who eat popcorn every night while watching TV, others that eat salads and raw veggies with no problem... we are all different. I would imagine you were given a list of foods broken down into different categories when you were discharged from the hospital... what causes gas, what causes odor, thickening of output, thinning of output, etc. What I did and I was told to do at the WOCN at Mayo and my CR surgeon was to treat new foods like you would for a baby... introduce one at a time and a little at a time to see the reaction your body has to it. That is what I have done and that has worked.

I personally do not even chance corn, popcorn, raw veggies, or veggies that are not cooked really well. I occasionally splurge and have a nice grilled steak but limit the amount I eat. I have had potato skins but they were very crisp. It all depends on your body and what it will process.

I actually have a Wolfgang Puck blender and it does as good a job as the Vitamix that my friend has and sure did not cost as much as the VM did. I use that plus as others have said -- CHEW, CHEW, CHEW!

Oh, and any fruit with a skin on it -- do not eat the skin/peel... just find out little by little what works for you.

Paula

Katerina.kits

Thank you, Bain. xx

NJ Bain

You are very welcome.

gary S.

I find that making smoothies with frozen blueberries, raw kale, banana, almond milk, and frozen strawberries works great for me. Mix everything until a smooth paste. Good for you and avoids the blockages. Nut butters are also good. Veggies should be fine but cook until soft. Nothing al dente. I also have adhesions and avoiding more surgery is the key. Also try a peeled apple cooked in a microwave on high for 90 seconds. Finally, don't overeat at any one time. Space it out over the day. Hope it helps.

fordf65

Hi everyone, this blockage thing has been a constant study of what to eat and what not to eat and what to not even look at. I have a colostomy, the stomach pains were so severe that it drove me to the hospital two times a few years ago. I found out about scar tissue and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember they told me about. Since then, I just watch what I eat and like so many have said, chew it good. Some of my findings have led me to believe if I can throw it at the wall and it sticks, then I should probably not eat it. If it slides down the wall, then I'm good. Tomato skins and peppers were a big problem for me. White bread is okay, but if I eat a hero bread, that can set me off. Sometimes too much pizza does it. Small skinny French fries are okay, but if I eat steak fries, I'm gonna have some pains. Moderation of any kind of food is the good bet. I've taken MiraLAX and all other kinds of stuff and no change. I did start taking a probiotic like Align and that seemed to help. One thing no one mentioned is drink a lot of water, a lot! Whether you have pains or not, drink water. Hope this helps. Bob

Katerina.kits

Thanks for the info everyone x