Colonoscopy instructions for stoma patients?

Replies
Views
Terapined

Just had emergency surgery a few weeks ago and now have a stoma and using an ostomy bag. The surgeon referred me to a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy.

The scheduled colonoscopy is in a few weeks. The nurse was very brief on the instructions and gave me a sheet and set up the appointment. The instructions are to drink 3 bottles of citrate magnesium and have a clear liquid diet the day before. Also written, 1 Fleet enema per rectum at bedtime.

I ran these instructions by a nurse later, and she thought the instructions were wrong and for a patient without a stoma. She said a colonoscopy for somebody with a stoma, I should only have to drink clear liquids the day before and that's it. She tried calling the gastroenterologist for me, but they said the doctor's nurse would get back to her and did not.

What do you all think?

xnine

I was given instructions to mix up Colyte (polyethylene glycol) and drink 4 liters, a glass full every 10 minutes. No enema, no place to do one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

winnie

I was given instructions for a split prep...but no enema

vdahl

Actually, I was asking my surgeon if I would continue to have colonoscopies since I have an ileostomy. She said there would be other ways to view the colon because I would not be able to do the bowel prep. I would think it would be potentially dangerous to take anything (effectively a laxative). I know there can be some mucus buildup, even a small amount of stool after the ostomy/stoma. I have been feeling like my colon is full, even though it is bypassed. I was instructed to do an enema or glycerine suppository if I felt it would not pass on its own.

Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy (loop or end) and was your entire colon left in place?

Good luck.

Terapined

I have a colostomy. One-third of my colon was removed in emergency surgery. It's reversible. I am assuming the surgeon wants a colonoscopy done by a gastro doctor to make sure there are no problems with the rest of the colon.

I guess with a stoma, the colonoscopy procedure is to insert a camera through the stoma to inspect the rest of the colon.

That morning, I'm thinking of using an ace wrap around the waistbandage to keep the bag in place so the doctor has easy access to the stoma.

I'm worried about leakage with the stuff they want me to drink. I'm concerned about liquid coming out of the stoma rather than stool that is not liquid and not likely to leak.

I still get the sensation that my anus is filling and I need to go have a bowel movement, but that sensation goes away. Is that normal?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
vdahl

Ahh, that makes sense. I don't blame you for your concern of leakage. Of course, I'm sure they're used to it and are prepared for anything that might happen. I know with the ileostomy, I often have a very liquid output that can be pretty hard on the skin around the stoma. I'm anxious to hear how everything goes... wishing you a healthy, positive outcome.

My ileostomy is also a loop so, theoretically, can be reversed. Only thing is, I have so many pelvic floor issues, along with the nearly dysfunctional colon, I am certain I will be keeping the stoma. Like you, wondering how normal it is to have the sensation... I've heard a bit of everything. Just proves there are a million interpretations of normal, right? I have some cramping and stabbing pains along with the sensation of being full. I'm supposed to have an x-ray and whatnot to see if they can identify the problem... if it is indeed a "problem". I had a complete hysterectomy many years ago due to adhesions... this reminds me a lot of the discomfort I had when I could, quite literally, feel them growing inside me.

An ileostomy was certainly nothing I ever had on my radar. This "aging" thing is just one surprise after another! I will say, however, I'm far more comfortable with the ostomy than I was all those years of chronic constipation, being unable to have a bowel movement for ten days to two weeks.

Keep me posted :)

winnie

Hello Terapined, did you get the instructions cleared up?

Terapined

I had the colonoscopy today. Drank just 2 bottles of citrate magnesium and did not do the enema.

Was discharging a lot of fluid through my stoma but no leakage. After trying a lot of ways to attach the bag, I used paste around the stoma and a flat bag. No leakage.

The colonoscopy was over before I knew it. One moment you pass out, the next moment being woken up. The doctor said everything looks good and I will be reconnected in August, probably.

The place I had the colonoscopy was a big facility that just does colonoscopies and similar procedures. Like an assembly line with 60 beds. Tampa Bay Endoscopy Center