Wearing Ostomy Bag Horizontally & Post-Surgery Issues: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
AHS1977

What have been your experiences with wearing an ostomy bag horizontally rather than vertically? Also, I recently had surgery to remove my rectum. I am experiencing urination issues and sexual issues (I can't get an erection). Any thoughts on these subjects would be helpful.

gyrfalcon271

Hi, first the horizontal deployment of the bag. I have not tried it - but the stealth bag is the way to go maybe if you want to - it's in the US.

Re: impotence. This is something that only your consultant can advise on; and I would arrange to discuss this issue with him.

Regards, Stephen

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,320 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi AHS,

I wear my pouch either way depending on what type of clothes I have on. If I feel my pouch is being pulled downward, I will turn it to the side as it seems to help. Sometimes comfort plays a role as well. Try it and see if you have a preference.

Cuppatears

Started wearing my pouch horizontally last year, it's more comfortable and more discreet even under close fitting clothing. Of course, I'm using a 2pc and I must rotate the pouch to empty (just open lockring and rotate, empty, reopen lockring, rotate back to horizontal position). As long as you're careful not to pull the pouch off while rotating or emptying, it works well! ;Good luck!

vikinga

First of all re: erections...that sucks! Definitely check with your surgeon on that one! I am VP of our ostomy support group here in Fort Worth, TX and have only heard of that issue in regards to radiation treatment. Good luck!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Lt. Dan

Don't know why you would want to wear it horizontally to begin with? I am also thinking of getting my rectum removed. But the erection problem you are having is giving me second thoughts. Did they tell you it's a possibility that it could happen?

Dan

Mrs.A

Well, for me it helped eliminate poking as well as rubbing against more sensitive skin.

LadyHope

I wanted to respond to this post as I was told wearing the bag sideways could cause erosion of the wafer to occur more quickly. Is this true? In addition, another question is, where does the output reside? Does it sort of level out or does it make the pouch stick out in one area? Just my questions.... Thanks! LH

Mrs.A

Hi LH,

I haven't noticed any difference in the erosion of the wafer. Depending on how far horizontally you wear the pouch matters on where your output resides. Sometimes if the output isn't as firm, it does tend to stay to one side, making the other side off balance a bit but not enough to make a difference if you're wearing pants as opposed to a skirt or dress where you would have less to keep it flat and secure.

Hope this helps.