Surprise Ostomy

Replies
Views
Raydog

Hi folks. I am not very good at this, but here goes. On New Years Eve , I had been out snow plowing my daughte's , and my son's driveway. I got home about miidnight, and proceeded to go inside, and go to bed. I was in reasonable good health, with the exception of what I thought was bronchitis. When I woke up, I was in hospital, with penomonia, and two purferations in my large bowel. Needles to say, I almost died. After 7 weeks in an enduced coma, I finally woke up. WOW!What was I doing in a hospital, and what happened to me?I couldn't talk because I had been intubulated in my hometown hospital, and they did nothing but screw my larnyx up. I couldn't even talk ta ask my family what had happened to me. When I looked up all I could see was 8 machines on me. I was told that I had been on life support for 2 weeks. To make a long story short, I had the re-connection done, but it didn't take, and i was rushed in for emergency surgery 10 daays later, fo have the rest of my large bowel removed. That was 2 years ago, and by reading your posts, It gets me through my day. I literally went throughliving hell for the first year. I think the hardest thing for me to get over, was embarassement when I was with family for an occasion, and I had a mal-function with my flang, and depression. I was 65 years old, and am a very proud man. When I was in hospital, I went through 25 flange changes in 2 days.OUCH. Nothing but bloodI am doing very well now, but still not too old to learn.lol. Thanks to all ffor listening.

Bill

Hello Raydog.

Thanks for posting your story as it was interesting, enlightening and a damned good read, even if it does sound like something out of a nightmare or horror story.  Now that the worst is over, I hope everything continues to go well for you in future. 

Best wishes 

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mdq58

Good for you. I've had an ostomy for 42 years - since I was 18. Never be embarrassed, this is a surgery which saved all our lives. It's not like we went out and got drunk, did drugs or some other stupid thing and surgery was the result. Am glad you found this site and it has helped.

Mike Q

Mrs.A

Hi Ray,

Welcome to MAO. Nice to meet you. If you only had one issue that you had to get past, your blessed. Glad your doing well now and look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Ewesful
Ray - it is wonderful to hear you made it -- I have a friend that was in an induced coma for months but came back to the real world and managed a very good life for years. Go forward and enjoy like with enthusiasm. I had life saving surgery that took away so much that I marvel that I can be almost normal!! (I only have a tiny stomach left, no gall bladder, 1/2 pancreas, no
colon and a lot of the small intestine missing....due to advanced but unknown FAP....despite all the testing until it suddenly erupted as a gang buster!! Anyway it has been an interesting 5 years but I still manage my (much reduced in number) farm animals and love seeking out ways to help others everyday . I am so used to the bag it is easy to forget life was once different -- as for eating and foods I cannot have now I just tell the grandkids to sit next to me and let me hear the crunch of a fresh apple or the enticing smell of something that is spicy -- I have learned that you can do a lot to meat etc. using various salad dressings. Chicken is my fall back food and I have learned that dark meat does not digest as well. Be creative and have fun -- of and I discovered a fascinating grape cutter and love a dish of grapes now and then -- I cannot manage lasagna noodles etc, but small macaroni in reasonable amounts is acceptable especially with lots of real cheese!!

Would love to hear your discoveries!!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister