Need Surgeon for Prolapse Reversal - Urgent!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Carlson

Looking to find a great surgeon to fix a prolapse. Very, very uncomfortable. Had surgery in August and already re-prolapsed. Ostomy site is weak - large opening, herniated. Reversal is not an option. Hoping to get a new site. Suggestions appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Carlson. I wish you luck with trying to get a prolapse fixed. I had a couple of operations to try to fix mine and they didn't work so I gave up on the idea. The theory sounded good but in practice it did not work for more than a month or so, before prolapsing again. Very painful and uncomfortable. 

Please keep us informed if you have any success.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
fishnet 123

Hi.

I had my colostomy on Sept 6, 2017. I suffer from quadriplegia. I fell off my bicycle and have a partial spinal cord break with damage at C4, C5, and C6. I mention that because I have some issues with a neurogenic bowel.

When I got home from the hospital with my neck injury, to have a bowel movement it required a suppository every evening. Given the neurogenic bowel, there was always stool left in the bowel. This caused pain when I sat on it and pain causes muscle tone which tightens up my muscles, slowing down movement, etc. On consultation with the surgeon, I decided to have the colostomy. Yes, I'll get to the prolapse soon, I promise. The reasoning was, no stool in the sigmoid colon, no more pain = no more or at least less muscle tone. The surgeon agreed but did not offer much explanation on what would happen. Mentioned mucus in passing.

Since I've had the colostomy, the pain is worse. The mucus builds up in the sigmoid and since the muscle is tight at the end of the sigmoid, I have difficulty moving mucus out...it's an all-day affair.

After all that, about 3 weeks ago, my stoma started prolapsing. It was out about 3 inches. It frightened my wife and me. We had no idea what it was and went to the hospital emergency. The doctors there had no idea what to do. They talked to a colo-rectal surgeon on call and figured out how to push it back in. The same thing happened the next night, so back to the hospital. My wife decided that she could push it back in. We also read that it will go back in by itself. I have noticed that the stoma has enlarged from 38 mm to 50+ and sometimes 55 mm.

Now when it prolapses, I get into bed for a while and it shrinks back in. Doing any sort of stomach exercises causes it to prolapse. So no more sit-ups and limit stress on the tummy. After all that, thanks for the info on repairing a prolapse. The last time I spoke to my surgeon, she was pushing for more surgery to repair it. Thank God I said I'd think about it. I won't be doing it now. I think this is true. Do you know the difference between God and a surgeon? God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

Thanks again...the surgeon will have to satisfy her lust to cut on someone else, or is it a lust for money.

Carlson

Thanks for the message, Bill. Now I know I can live with it, for the time being. Well, I have an appointment next week for a surgical consultation. Hoping they can change the site and start anew. I'll send along an update if interested.

Best and happy spring!

Carlson

fishnet 123

Sorry to butt in but I'd be very interested in knowing how it goes. From Bill's response, I was thinking of leaving it and putting up with the prolapses. Don't know if they get better or worse over time. I'm thinking worse as the stoma would get weaker/stretched with more prolapses.

Thx...again sorry for butting in...Good luck.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello Fishnet123.  I love your trike. Did you make it yourself or was it a readymade?  I've been toying with the concept of making an electric trike tandem for me and the wife now we are getting older and the two-wheelers are harder and harder to pedal uphill.

By the way, I don't think anyone who replies to a post could be described as  'butting-in'. I prefer the trerm 'joining-in' as this more accurately reflects the spirit of the enterprise!

Just a thought!

Best wishes

Bill 

GraphX12

My initial total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy was in March of 2013. By March of 2017, I had two more surgeries - one (emergency) where 8 inches of small bowel blew out through the hernia and had gotten kinked, and the last one to fix the hernia again along with a prolapsed stoma. Actually, when I consulted with the surgeon about fixing the hernia, she was the one that pointed out that the prolapse should be fixed - do them both in one surgery.

Shortly after this last surgery, the stoma prolapsed again and even bigger than before. It's currently about 4 inches long. The hernia has returned even larger than before.

The prolapse makes changing the appliance difficult and it sticks out so far (including hernia) that it is the first thing to hit something. Forget trying to wear pants - I live in sweatpants. It's been a year now and recovery has been very long and hard, and I still have daily pain. After three surgeries, I've totally lost confidence that surgery can fix these.

freedancer

When I had my first emergency surgery, I had a stoma that just slightly protruded. Now that they did the second emergency surgery, my stoma is right at the surface of my skin. It very slightly dips inward. I don't know if it will come back out later after everything heals or not. Either way, I use the convex skin barriers. It hurts more this time as there are a couple of raw areas around the stoma area that the stoma nurse said will heal up but that I just have to watch it and try to be patient.

fishnet 123

Hi Bill.

I'm not mechanically inclined, so no, I didn't build the Trike. Before my accident, I cycled a lot. After the accident, I could pedal a stationary. I found a company, Terra Trike, in the states. I ordered a Trike and went down and picked it up. Also got one for my wife. We had fun for a year and my bottom got so sore that I can't sit on it. It's been hanging in my garage for 5 years now. How tall are you? Perhaps we can make a deal... I'm 6'1". My wife's Trike is a lot smaller with 3 wheels the same size and internal gearing.

FYI: Here's the website for TerraTrike http://www.terratrike.com/

fishnet 123

Bill TerraTrike has a tandem. You can get some ideas from the picture for your build or do the easy thing and order one...ha!

http://www.terratrike.com/tandem.php