House insurance claim, following a fire

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Larrie

Has anyone claimed for their supplies and equipment, after they were damaged in a house fire, and who is intitaled to the money?

My house had a fire an smoked covered all my equipment etc, which had to be replaced, my insurance want to know the value. My question is, to whom does the equipment belong? It was supplied to me by Calea, who billed the hospital who billed the NHS. So who is intitaled to my insurance claim?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Larrie. An interesting question you raise and I think I might have the answer: Out of the blue, the NHS wrote to me last year stating quite clearly that the medical supplies they provided were their property and if I had any left over (spare) I was not to sell them on but to return them. I was not clear as to whether the letter was directed at me personally or whether it was a general letter posted to everyone. Perhaps they thought I had a little sideline going selling incontinence pads etc? ( Needless to say, I ignored the letter - as I do with most official correspondence) I presume then, that if there is a financial claim for the equipment, then legally the money would belong to the NHS.

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Larrie

That's the logical conclusion, but then how does the money reach the NHS.

I was given different statement, I was told, when the wrong TPN stuff was delivered, that once it was in my house, it could not be returned, which I took to mean it was mine.

Bill

Indeed!  We are talking about the NHS as a local government 'system', which means that common sense and logic are not part of the game-plan. If it's medicine, then it has to be handed in at a chemists. Other equipment can be given to a local NHS facility such as a hospital.  The reasoning seems to be that individuals should not 'benefit' from extra 'stuff'.  However, my interpretation would be that the local government simply  want to let us know who is in charge! Therefore we should not be making any decicions for ourselves - even if they are 'common-sense'. Half the time they don't know what their own rules are and the other half - they make them up as they go along. whichever way, 'Joe Bloggs' will be wrong and it will need to go before some comitte or other to make a pronouncement.  Until next week, when a different panel/ meeting/committee will decide something completely different.

I'm so glad I'm retired!

Best wishes

Bill 

freedancer

That is really interesting for those of you in the United Kingdom. I get my supplies through the Veteran's Clinic in Helena Montana here in the US. When I broke my foot while at the Salt Lake City VA, I had to stay for surgery. Then, when I got ready to be discharged, they loaded me down with durable equipment, so much that my husband had to drive all the way from Billings Montana to pick me up and take me home because I couldn't fly. They told me everything was mine to keep. Then when Maxine made her appearance 12 days later, all of her supplies were considered mine. It is interesting how when you have a National Health System for your country, the supplies you get are theirs. The only system we have here that requires money to be paid back is the Medicaid program which is considered the welfare system money.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister