Irrigation techniques and equipment for stoma care - Seeking advice and tips

Replies
Views
Shitt Happens

Translation French to English... Merci! ♥

Hello, I need help with those who are doing their irrigation.

Does it happen to you to have pain like cramps but in your bowel? It looks like the bowel is twisting on itself. I'm not able to get all the water in the first time, I have to try 3 times before I can use all 1500cc. In addition, I have to lie in my bed on the left side with a dish as soon as I could get some water in my bowel.

This happens to me not often but it hurts so much and I try to see if I have eaten something different, but no, I do not see why. It lasts a day like yesterday and this morning I was okay. Do you have an idea what this could be?

Puppyluv56

Hey,

No idea what is going on there but sometimes mine does not want to take the 1500 cc and am lucky to get 1000 cc in. I just go with it! There is cramping sometimes but it goes away when I stop putting water in! I know my colon is fuller sometimes than others so maybe yours is too and cannot take all the water on days that you eat more the day before! I figured because some days I eat constantly and others, not much, my colon reacts!

Pup

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,478 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Shitt Happens

Hello to all those who irrigate their stoma, I have a question for you. I read in another group of ostomates from France that there are some who irrigate their stoma twice in a row to have the chance to irrigate their stoma only every 2 days. In this way, there is no risk of residues. Is there someone who does this twice in a row? Because it's a lot of work, 1.5 liters of water wait until everything is out and start yet another 1.5 liters of water. Thank you to help me.

Regards

Danielle from Québec, Canada

Sportster9

Hi Danielle,

I know this is months after your original post but I'm going to post this anyway, in case it might still be helpful for you or someone else.

I agree with one of the previous posts, all of us are different. Trial and error are the way to go, but getting tips from other ostomates has helped me know what to try.

Remember that the supply manufacturers love to sample us to try to get us to buy their product. Take advantage of that and try lots of stuff.

I use the Convatec Visaflo irrigation bag. It has a little water wheel that spins when the water is flowing. I find it really helps to see the evidence of water flow instead of just feeling for it.

I like the Convatec New Image irrigator sleeve and belt. It fits snugly and as long as I'm careful I can tuck the tail of it into the band of my underwear and wear it under my robe while having a second cup of coffee.

I have found that the water temperature that I use for irrigation is really important too hot relaxes my muscles and I get slow returns. Too cold and I get nothing until it warms up. I use an instant read thermometer to get the water to around 75 degrees. (74.8-75.3) Maybe it's just my imagination, but that seems to be the sweet spot.

Drinking a glass of water before I start also seems to help.

I use a regular one-piece closed-end pouch in between my regular morning irrigation. Sometimes I put on a Nexcare Waterproof bandage (like Tagaderm but with a tan pad in the center) for swimming or intimacy.

I hope this helps. I've had my colostomy for 16 years. I resisted irrigation for several years, thinking it was just too gross and too much hassle. Once I got the hang of it I never went back. It has given me so much confidence and freedom.

Best of luck to you

Shitt Happens

Help me to understand please!!!!!!!!

Since how many years do you do irrigation please????

Because I just read from the Canadian Society for Intestinal Research:

....... People who have a colostomy and parastomal hernia, and who manage their stoma with irrigation,

may need to stop irrigations permanently. Irrigations can worsen symptoms and cause other complications.

You can consult your SI to discuss the possibility of changing to a regular ostomy appliance.......

What do you think??

Merci

Danielle

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mild_mannered_super_hero

I have been irrigating for over 10 years. I did develop a hernia in 2014, but I have no reason to believe it was caused by irrigation, but rather from heavy lifting associated with my job at that time. Perhaps others here have been irrigating longer and can give their experience. If you currently have a hernia, I would suggest you have it repaired if possible...I do not regret doing mine. I am very careful about lifting nowadays. I had to retire from my job as an auto mechanic, but it was almost time to anyway. I don't regret that decision either. Regards. MMsh

Shitt Happens

Mmsh,

Thank you for your positive words.

I appreciate it very much for having answered me.

Your hernia never came back? Because I read on ostomy sites in Quebec, Canada and several people say that after 6 months the hernia has returned.

I'm worried about what decision I'll have to make soon. :(

jmagnus1

Ne vous inquiétez pas.... on vous comprend parfaitement!