Need help with ballooning pouch at night

Replies
Views
flabbergastednks
Sep 05, 2018 4:09 pm

For the last couple of weeks, I've had issues with gas. My pouch inflates like a balloon during the night, and I have to get up at 5:00 in the morning to burp it. My PA suggested I crush a couple of GasX tablets and put them in my pouch, but it hasn't helped. It doesn't matter what I eat. Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, what did you do to resolve the problem? It's really beginning to wear me out.

Morning glory
Sep 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi flabbergasted..., I take Gas-X by mouth. Are you chewing your food thoroughly and not eating fast? Watch the spices and don't use a straw. These are just a few suggestions I have learned. I still have gas at times, but this has reduced it.

Morning glory

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Puppyluv56
Sep 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Flabbergasted,

I too have had my pouch blow up like a balloon but not really during the night. During the day and evening. I eat all the wrong things so I think I bring it on myself. I have cut out bananas, one of my favorite foods! Will never stop eating Brussels sprouts! Lol I heard that Gas-X worked as well but taking it orally. If you find the secret cure, please share!

Puppyluv

Poobag17
Sep 06, 2018 6:45 am

Hi - oddly enough, for the past 3 weeks I've been dealing with a simsim situation. Just overly gassy day and night and can't figure out why.

Background - I have had my ostomy for 20 plus years, never had any gas issues like this. Had my rectum removed 4 months ago, and post-op was a bit gassy but went away. Since then I've been building up my gut flora with a mixture of random things from my naturopath, and I suspect it's something to do with that, but not sure. No other variable I can think of. I'd rather not take Gas-X if I don't have to, I feel like that would just cause something else to happen, rather I'd like to find out why and fix it. My nutritionist wife says perhaps I may just be a gassy person and it's taken this long to get my gut flora to the point it's supposed to be functioning at. If that's the case, perhaps the Gas-X won't be such a bad idea!!! Ha!!

Bill
Sep 06, 2018 12:06 pm
Hello Flabbergastednks. Cruiseguy had a good idea a few weeks back for letting the gas out of the bag. I will copy his post below:  (I've just sent for a free sample)

Filter pouches don't work that great at expelling gas from your pouch. I like to use the Osto-EZ-vents. You attach them to top of your pouch and let the air out manually. More info on them at their website https://kemonline.com/content/home/

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
flabbergastednks
Sep 07, 2018 4:49 pm

I have been drinking through a straw more lately. I do tend to eat fast and I think I chew my food thoroughly, however I tend to lean more towards spicy food as my chemo has made a lot of foods taste bland. I will try to eat more slowly and ditch the straw.

Thanks!

flabbergastednks
Sep 07, 2018 4:51 pm

I have been drinking through a straw more lately. I do tend to eat fast and I think I chew my food thoroughly, however I tend to lean more towards spicy food as my chemo has made a lot of foods taste bland. I will try to eat more slowly and ditch the straw.

Thanks!

flabbergastednks
Sep 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Puppyluv, I did buy the generic version of GasX, wonder if that's the problem? I'll try taking it orally and see if that helps. It used to only be when I ate broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Now it seems to be everything.

Thanks for the tip.

Flabbergastednks.