Eating with an Ileostomy Bag: Tips and Tricks!

Replies
Views
wrencher52

Hello -- I'm 73 and have had my ileostomy bag since April 18. I was concerned at first as to what I can and cannot eat. Presently, I eat anything I like. If the food is spicy (which I love), I'll pay for it later as it will bother my stoma. Other than that, I find if I chew my food really well, I don't have any problems at all. I love salads, pasta, pizza, and occasionally Mexican, except I stay away from the hot sauce!

Puppyluv56

Ileostomies seem to be more affected by spice and fiber than a colostomy! I eat anything with a colostomy!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,428 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

I have always had problems with strong spices, but that has nothing to do with having a stoma as I suffered in this way before. I also have problems with many preservatives, which is a nuisance because nearly all prepared foods have them in. It forces me to prepare my own fresh food, which may  not be a bad thing, except it tends to be much less convenient. - I suppose that's why they call them 'convenience foods'.

Best wishes

Bill 

freedancer

I used to not be able to eat hardly anything after my first surgery in July of 2017. Then, after 7 months of losing weight and being in constant pain, it was discovered that my first stoma had strictured and all my intestines were swollen and ready to burst. I had already lost my colon and was endangered once again with death. After another emergency surgery in February 2018, it was rebuilt and now I can eat almost anything I want. For some reason, I cannot eat carrots. No matter how much I chew them and even though they are cooked soft, they block me so I stay away from them.

freedancer

I used to not be able to eat hardly anything after my first surgery in July of 2017. Then, after 7 months of losing weight and being in constant pain, it was discovered that my first stoma had strictured and all my intestines were swollen and ready to burst. I had already lost my colon and was endangered once again with death. After another emergency surgery in February 2018, it was rebuilt and now I can eat almost anything I want. For some reason, I cannot eat carrots. No matter how much I chew them and even though they are cooked soft, they block me so I stay away from them.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Tink75

I have the same issue with my ileostomy and certain foods. When I got it 9 years ago, I was told that I had to remain on a moderate fiber diet... I could no longer have things such as lettuce... raw veggies... even Chinese veggies. Having been told that by my surgeon, I stayed away from each of them along with popcorn (which I love) and cashews (which I also love). When I joined this site, I met a great friend who told me that I didn't have to stay away from these things. I began experimenting with things like cabbage (in eggrolls and boiled with corned beef) and popcorn. The only thing I haven't dared try is lettuce as I did while in the hospital about 3 years ago, and it gave me horrible cramps... so I am really afraid to give it a try again.

I have eaten spicy food, but only on occasion because... like you... my little appendage does not enjoy it when I do.

I guess all we can do is continue to experiment and see what works and what doesn't. When you eat lettuce in your salads, does it bother you at all?

Puppyluv56

I haven't had any food to bother me! Kinda wish sugar did so I would not have gained so much weight over the holidays! Damn Christmas cookies! Lol paying the price and dieting now!

Pup