One Year Post-Op with Ileostomy - March 12, 2019

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Frog Pond

For those new to ileostomy, I want you to know that it gets easier over time. The first few months were difficult with constant fear of a blowout / bag failure. Over time and trying several different products, I came to depend and feel safe using certain products. Don't be afraid to experiment with different ones until you find what works for you. I now typically go for 3 or 4 days between changing pouch and haven't had a failure for 6 months.

Some adjustments I've made: Because waistline cuts across my pouch, I usually keep my fly partly open and keep pants up with suspenders. Then wear long shirts to keep covered. I wonder how others have dealt with this.

A continuing problem is the need to empty two or three times during the night. My problem is that once up, I am typically awake for an hour or more. So I can only recall one night of complete sleep in the last year.

As far as what I eat - Anything I used to eat - It all traveled the same route before my surgery so it should do fine now. Well, I do avoid carbonation and limit very gassy foods.

I am feeling confident enough now to consider taking an extensive road trip.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sasquatch

Good for you, my friend. To anybody else reading this, he speaks the truth. There is nothing having an ostomy should hold you back from. My WOCN told me this my second day out of surgery. Early on in my journey, I doubted, but, as Frog Pond says, these things fade with time.

Go for that road trip, brother. You've earned it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

I too will have a one-year anniversary on April 25th.

It took me until July to find the best products for me and how to irrigate (colostomy). All has been great since and no leaks, except a mishap from eating Honey Nut Cheerios that are now off of my diet plan! At first, I used all the extra precaution stuff like a barrier strip but found I can go 10 days with my two-piece Coloplast pouch every time! I could go longer and have, but I chose a happy medium. It has not stopped me from doing anything so far. I was already retired, so that did not matter! It may have been different if I had been working. It's a lot tougher! I think we all find our happy with this and go on with our lives!

Congrats to you for getting there too!

Puppyluv